Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

Very little chance either Brissett or Kiel comes out.

I could see Kiel if he continues to light it up like he is. If he can maintain this form he is a legit Heisman contender. I wonder if he would pass up a 1st round grade after transferring and sitting out a year..

I personally don't see Brissett coming out this year. I think he'll go back for another year and build up more tape. There's still stuff that he needs to work on ... and the extra year at State would help for sure.

After taking some time to watch Gunner Kiel and really break down what little tape he has, I'm here to tell you that this kid looks like an all timer. There's just no denying it.

His poise in the pocket for such a young, inexperienced quarterback is extremely advanced. His arm is launching rockets way downfield, and zipping 30 yard passes into closing windows between two defenders. His accuracy is tremendous on all throws to all areas of the field.

He threw for 319 yards and 4 touchdowns in just over 12 minutes of possession time on the road in The Horseshoe against a ranked Ohio St. The Buckeyes looked scared to death. They ain't seen nothing like this before.

Junior receiver Chris Moore (who's #18 on my list of underclassman WR's) is averaging over 42 yards/reception with 5 TD's on only 6 catches this year with Kiel throwing him the ball.

This kid is ****y and confident as hell on the football field. He's that good and he carries himself as though he knows it. The opponents know it pretty quick.

All that said, all of which I agree with, he did clearly get rattled late in the 3rd quarter when the officials ruled offensive pass interference on Johnny Holton instead of defensive pass interference. They ended up with a 2nd & 25 and then a 3rd & 25 on that drive, gave the ball back to Ohio State who promptly scored to make it 43-28 with only about a quarter left in the game, and Kiel looked visibly somewhere between rattled and checked out for the remainder of the game.

He probably deserves a break because it was the first loss he's been a part of since high school. However as you're watching it, it's kind of a reminder that for whatever reason the kid is a three-time divorcée (Indiana, LSU, Notre Dame) and there's some research to be done. I won't pretend to have done that research, though. I'm still not convinced he's coming out so I'm not sure how much of my time I should devote to him.

All that said, all of which I agree with, he did clearly get rattled late in the 3rd quarter when the officials ruled offensive pass interference on Johnny Holton instead of defensive pass interference. They ended up with a 2nd & 25 and then a 3rd & 25 on that drive, gave the ball back to Ohio State who promptly scored to make it 43-28 with only about a quarter left in the game, and Kiel looked visibly somewhere between rattled and checked out for the remainder of the game.

He probably deserves a break because it was the first loss he's been a part of since high school. However as you're watching it, it's kind of a reminder that for whatever reason the kid is a three-time divorcée (Indiana, LSU, Notre Dame) and there's some research to be done. I won't pretend to have done that research, though. I'm still not convinced he's coming out so I'm not sure how much of my time I should devote to him.

Gunner Kiel obviously has a lot left to prove in terms of being an NFL prospect. I don't think anybody is getting carried away here. At the same time, he's proven a lot more than most through 3 starts. No quarterback I've ever seen has thrown 6 TD passes in their debut. Very impressive in his first career road start at Ohio St. no less.

Nobody knows if he'll enter the draft or not at this point, not even him. Although just watching him he's clearly not missing anything physically to warrant a high grade whenever he decides to pursue the NFL. His body is physically mature as we speak.

There definitely should be some concern as to why he's been such a nomad and indecisive as to where he wanted to be to begin his college career. If I were a team looking to draft him, the first thing I'd want to know is how much he loves football. Not the suiting up and playing on Saturdays...but rather dealing with the adversity that comes with being a leader. We obviously haven't seen enough yet to evaluate any of this. But he's off to a legendary start.

Pretty sure Taysom Hill's season is over. Almost two years to the day after he suffered a broken leg against Utah State in garbage time back in 2012, he just suffered what looks like a broken ankle against the same opponent. Feel terrible for the kid as he was doing very well.

As a prospect, he reminds me a lot of Colin Kaepernick. Some of the nits I had with Kaepernick's accuracy on certain throws and his decision making, especially when Kaepernick was a junior, also apply a little bit to Taysom Hill. They have a lot of the same strengths, too. Kaepernick had a great pure combination of speed, athleticism and arm strength. That's what Hill has going for him as his perimeter throws have fantastic spin and velocity on them. They both are winners and they're both great character leaders. Unlike Kaepernick, Hill has a flick delivery which should do him well at the next level. He's going to have another year in college to work on some of his issues. But there isn't a quarterback in this 2015 draft that doesn't have some fairly significant issues.

I guess Marshall is a SR. I swear he was a freshman last year

Last edited by a moderator:
Winston comes out and goes #1

Last edited by a moderator:
Slimm, I know we've discussed Gunner Kiel some, but what do you think about Jared Goff and Christian Hackenberg? How do you think the three stack up against each other? Honestly, I've had very little exposure to all three. But the little I've seen all three look like they have potential to be franchise quarterbacks. I'm trying to finish up the 2015 senior class, and then finish up the rest of the underclassmen I haven't graded once they declare in December and early January. I'm going to watch a ton of film on those three afterwards, as I think Miami is more likely to draft a 1st round QB in 2016 than 2015. Thanks. Looking forward to your opinion. Hope all is well.

Slimm, I know we've discussed Gunner Kiel some, but what do you think about Jared Goff and Christian Hackenberg? How do you think the three stack up against each other? Honestly, I've had very little exposure to all three. But the little I've seen all three look like they have potential to be franchise quarterbacks. I'm trying to finish up the 2015 senior class, and then finish up the rest of the underclassmen I haven't graded once they declare in December and early January. I'm going to watch a ton of film on those three afterwards, as I think Miami is more likely to draft a 1st round QB in 2016 than 2015. Thanks. Looking forward to your opinion. Hope all is well.

I haven't evaluated Goff or Hackenburg in terms of next level prospects. They're not draft eligible.

Right now I evaluate their receivers, backs, and offensive lineman that are draft eligible. There will be plenty of time to digest what these kids bring to the table as soon as I'm done with this year's class.... probably around the end of January is when I'll start on 2016. I've obviously watched both of them play and they're extremely talented sophomore quarterbacks.

I haven't evaluated Goff or Hackenburg in terms of next level prospects. They're not draft eligible.

Right now I evaluate their receivers, backs, and offensive lineman that are draft eligible. There will be plenty of time to digest what these kids bring to the table as soon as I'm done with this year's class.... probably around the end of January is when I'll start on 2016. I've obviously watched both of them play and they're extremely talented sophomore quarterbacks.

Right both are true sophs. I just wanted to see if you had gotten to them yet. I'm still trying to finish this senior class, and I have about 50-0 underclassmen to finish after they declare, depending on who comes out.

Jason La Canfora reports that Jameis Winston has decided this will be his final year at Florida State, given what he feels is antagonistic behavior from the administration (excluding Jimbo and a few people in the athletic department, all of whom he still likes).

Can't blame him. The whole meme shouting investigation and subsequent double suspension was ludicrous. And the way they're trying to proceed with this disciplinary hearing seems pretty shady, not to mention totally C.Y.A. at Jameis' expense.

I'm really high on Christian Hackenberg of Penn state. I think he's gunna make a great QB in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom