Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

Collin Hill had an Arkansas player go low on his plant leg this Saturday in the 3rd quarter (tied 34-34), and the fear is he may have torn his ACL on that same knee for the 3rd time. MRI happened yesterday and Mike Bobo's press conference is today.

I feel so bad for the guy. He's a really good player who could've been even better if he'd been able to have a normal college career.
Confirmed that he tore his acl...snake bit...

From an arm strength & velocity standpoint there's very little, if anything at all, separating Tua Tagovailoa and Jake Fromm. They're both qualified. But it's clear Jordan Love and Justin Herbert are the swinging dicks that way, among the top prospects.

We knew this, but it's quantifiable.
What are your thoughts on Tua? Do you think he is a generational prospect?

I don’t get too caught up in arm strength or velocity unless it’s truly special - Josh Allen, Jeff George, Elway, etc.

Just meet the threshold and then evaluate the necessary requirements: Accuracy, Anticipation, Footwork, Mechanics.

The NFL tends to overrate the arm strength factor a lot of times on mediocre quarterbacks. Take Drew Lock or Tannehill or Nate Stanley for example - scouts like the Stanley kid because he has a strong arm and has the prototype body. Same as Lock or Tannehill.

But he’s consistently late on his throws so he has to use that arm strength a lot. Can barely ever complete 60% of his passes.

A guy with elite anticipation, instincts & accuracy with the ability to manipulate defenses with his eyes and make quick decisions has a tremendous advantage over the guys who lack all of these attributes but have big arms.

There’s a difference between a big arm and a big time arm. A big arm is just that. A big arm without all the other critical attributes.

But a big time arm makes big time throws on a consistent basis. A kid like Tua has a big time arm. Raw arm strength and velocity data won’t paint you the entire picture.

Fromm isn’t Tua but he’s going to be a good one. He’s QB2.
He may be top 5 last 5 years.
ZERO red zone INTs in his GA career.
Somewhat held back by a high end RB and conservative game plan

ND game- End of 1st half that’s a big time back shoulder throw to set up a TD. Coverage was on point- throw was just better.
3rd QTR - 1st possession- 3rd down incomplete - fade endzoneoff blitz. But look at the read and throw - both perfect.

3rd QTR- 2nd possession- again progressions excellent/ fat hash throw wow/

3rd down - rolls out- end zone incomplete love the placement.

4th Qtr. Continues with progressions-
TD throw a beauty.

I don’t get too caught up in arm strength or velocity unless it’s truly special - Josh Allen, Jeff George, Elway, etc.

Just meet the threshold and then evaluate the necessary requirements: Accuracy, Anticipation, Footwork, Mechanics.

The NFL tends to overrate the arm strength factor a lot of times on mediocre quarterbacks. Take Drew Lock or Tannehill or Nate Stanley for example - scouts like the Stanley kid because he has a strong arm and has the prototype body. Same as Lock or Tannehill.

But he’s consistently late on his throws so he has to use that arm strength a lot. Can barely ever complete 60% of his passes.

A guy with elite anticipation, instincts & accuracy with the ability to manipulate defenses with his eyes and make quick decisions has a tremendous advantage over the guys who lack all of these attributes but have big arms.

There’s a difference between a big arm and a big time arm. A big arm is just that. A big arm without all the other critical attributes.

But a big time arm makes big time throws on a consistent basis. A kid like Tua has a big time arm. Raw arm strength and velocity data won’t paint you the entire picture.

Totally get what youre saying here, but wouldnt you think his arm strength could get a little better, as his body develops, maybe gets more core strength and such??

Totally get what youre saying here, but wouldnt you think his arm strength could get a little better, as his body develops, maybe gets more core strength and such??

A lot of guys improve their arm strength once they get into the NFL. I'm just saying that even if he has to play the next 15 years with the arm he has now - I'd probably take him over the guys with the big arms because of all the other factors.

A lot of guys improve their arm strength once they get into the NFL. I'm just saying that even if he has to play the next 15 years with the arm he has now - I'd probably take him over the guys with the big arms because of all the other factors.
I'm with ya for sure

I know this might be kind of a dumb one, given the prior statement of guys getting better, but who would you compare his cannon to coming out?? Russel Wilson maybe?

I'm with ya for sure

I know this might be kind of a dumb one, given the prior statement of guys getting better, but who would you compare his cannon to coming out?? Russel Wilson maybe?

Looks about on par with Baker Mayfield's arm. I remember everyone questioning Baker Mayfield's arm his entire career at Oklahoma & Texas Tech. I thought it was silly also.

He's just a douchebag.

I really like Jordan Love and if he shreds LSU, he's my guy.

Given the rampant pace LSU scores at this year i think he will get plenty of opportunities to show what he has against top competition.

I'm eagerly anticipating that matchup, but as a Jordan Love fan, I'm also wary of the result.

Right now, in two games against Wake Forest and San Diego State, he's doing a great job of illustrating that there's a nuanced difference between seeing the field and making good decisions.

Love can see the field in real time. It's one of his selling points. I think he can get stumped by high IQ football, just like anyone at this level. If a defender or a defensive coordinator does a good job bait-and-switching him, he can end up making a bad decision. We saw that happen to Tua Tagovailoa himself a couple of times in the Georgia and Clemson games. We saw it happen to Jordan Love in the shadow of his own end zone against Wake Forest.

But Jordan Love's problem right now as I see it against Wake Forest and again facing San Diego State, is he's seeing the field, and then STILL making the bad decision. It's not just that he's pressing, trying to win it all himself. He's doing things you can't do.

That can be such a wildcard because that sort of poor decision-making can be pathological (as may be the case with a Jameis Winston), it can be a thing that comes and goes (as we're seeing with Baker Mayfield), or it may be something the coach can tell the player to knock the f--k off, and he's just like, "OK coach" and then that's it (e.g. Patrick Mahomes).

I know this. If Jordan Love heads into Baton Rouge with the same mentality I saw against Wake Forest and San Diego State, then you're going to see a lot of good, but also a lot of ugly.

I'm eagerly anticipating that matchup, but as a Jordan Love fan, I'm also wary of the result.

Right now, in two games against Wake Forest and San Diego State, he's doing a great job of illustrating that there's a nuanced difference between seeing the field and making good decisions.

Love can see the field in real time. It's one of his selling points. I think he can get stumped by high IQ football, just like anyone at this level. If a defender or a defensive coordinator does a good job bait-and-switching him, he can end up making a bad decision. We saw that happen to Tua Tagovailoa himself a couple of times in the Georgia and Clemson games. We saw it happen to Jordan Love in the shadow of his own end zone against Wake Forest.

But Jordan Love's problem right now as I see it against Wake Forest and again facing San Diego State, is he's seeing the field, and then STILL making the bad decision. It's not just that he's pressing, trying to win it all himself. He's doing things you can't do.

That can be such a wildcard because that sort of poor decision-making can be pathological (as may be the case with a Jameis Winston), it can be a thing that comes and goes (as we're seeing with Baker Mayfield), or it may be something the coach can tell the player to knock the f--k off, and he's just like, "OK coach" and then that's it (e.g. Patrick Mahomes).

I know this. If Jordan Love heads into Baton Rouge with the same mentality I saw against Wake Forest and San Diego State, then you're going to see a lot of good, but also a lot of ugly.

Love was bad vs Wake & San Diego St & absolutely awful this week against Colorado St. Love has multiple problems not just related to his decision making. He doesn't understand the concept of the pocket & how to step up in it. Also, the majority of his throws of any distance are either off his back foot or he's falling away for no reason. His picks this week, both on out routes were the result of him staring at the receiver & not stepping into his throw. He was 3 of 17 on passes 5 yards beyond the LOS this week. He's a project & LSU is going to eat this guy alive.

I think Jacob Eason is going in the 1st round. He's having that type of year, the showing he really needed to have in order to live up to some of the hype that came in on him.

There are gonna be five guys going in the 1st round next year. Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Jacob Eason, Jordan Love, Jake Fromm, in some order but with Tua very likely #1.

It's gonna be fun because you look around the league and several of these older guys are going to be somewhere else, or retired, next year.

Fromm isn’t Tua but he’s going to be a good one. He’s QB2.
He may be top 5 last 5 years.
ZERO red zone INTs in his GA career.
Somewhat held back by a high end RB and conservative game plan

ND game- End of 1st half that’s a big time back shoulder throw to set up a TD. Coverage was on point- throw was just better.
3rd QTR - 1st possession- 3rd down incomplete - fade endzoneoff blitz. But look at the read and throw - both perfect.

3rd QTR- 2nd possession- again progressions excellent/ fat hash throw wow/

3rd down - rolls out- end zone incomplete love the placement.

4th Qtr. Continues with progressions-
TD throw a beauty.

Fromm reminds me a TON of Flacco

• I don’t see the Flacco comp in terms of accuracy (positive for Fromm) or physicality (arm strength/ size)...
  • Fromm isn’t easiest projection Bc he is somewhat undersized as pocket passer ( think Wentz/ Matt Ryan/ Foles/ Ben all 6’4- ++).
  • My projection is Jimmy Garappolo/ Eli Manning type.

Rd 1/ Pick 1- No Brainer.
Question: What do you do if you are sitting with Picks 2, 10, 22.
Do you love QB2 enough?
Do you take Chase Young?
Do you trade down 5 spots?

Back
Top Bottom