Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

Watching Big-12 defenses try to tackle is just sad....

Texas came into the game against Oklahoma leading the country in missed tackles, and they didn’t disappoint. Texas could literally employ half a dozen ROOMBAS as their secondary and not be any worse at tackling.

Love has always been more of a short game high efficiency type quarterback. But he can throw the ball downfield too.

He’s lost basically everything around him from last year.

People act like the NFL is requiring a bunch of 35 yard lasers thrown into 6” windows or mad bombs like the days of Daryle Lamonica. It’s just not the case.

I promise you Jordan Love can play in the NFL.

What's your ceiling on Jordan Love at the next level?

Does he have the potential to be a future MVP/First team all pro?

What's your ceiling on Jordan Love at the next level?

Does he have the potential to be a future MVP/First team all pro?

I don’t know about that. It’s just that physical tools and talent aren’t a concern.

Things like MVP’s and 1st team all pro are largely dependent on the situation you land in for any quarterback.

I don’t know about that. It’s just that physical tools and talent aren’t a concern.

Things like MVP’s and 1st team all pro are largely dependent on the situation you land in for any quarterback.

I'll rephrase the question. Does he have the physical tools and talent to be an elite QB in the NFL?

I'll rephrase the question. Does he have the physical tools and talent to be an elite QB in the NFL?

No question about that. Really just needs to develop more in terms of actually reading a defense and where he puts the ball on downfield throws and he should be a good one.

I believe you're going to see more development from Tua during his 2nd season as the starter. You're going to see more progression based reads and post snap verification in Steve Sarkisian's offense. More staples of the WCO. You'll still see him execute the RPO's at a masterful level - but more full field reads mixed in with the timing of his drop.

I think Tua still feels like he has a lot to prove. He's not done proving just yet.

Well, this is exactly what what we've seen out of Tua through 6 weeks. Steve Sarkisian has taken the long ball out of Bama's offense that they were so reliant on under Locksley. It's by design.

They've put the cuffs on Tua this year to an extent in an attempt to get him to develop other parts of his game. Anybody that constantly harps on how he's not completing any passes beyond 10 yards of the LOS and beats that drum as a concern - simply never paid attention to the throws he was making before. That's all he did was complete passes deep downfield.

However, I have seen him not connect on more throws downfield this year than last year. I think the timing has been off because of lack of reps, injuries to guys like Ruggs throwing off the timing, etc. I look for that to get cleaned up over the 2nd half of the season. Get ready.

It's also a low numbers thing as far as missing a few passes colors the entire look. He missed some deep passes to Ruggs because Ruggs got hurt and was running far slower. If you're taking fewer shots downfield even those couple of misses have a discrete impact on the perception.

In terms of Tua Tagovailoa's pure arm strength...this throw is highly relevant.

Zero questions about it. None.

I like this TD throw to Jeudy at the 3:05 mark against Arkansas. This ball travels 50 yards in the air on a rope.

I like this TD throw to Jeudy at the 3:05 mark against Arkansas. This ball travels 50 yards in the air on a rope.

That's a good throw. It's not quite as deep or as fast as the Texas A&M near-miss, but it's clear he's willing to rip a deep ball off at faster speed.

Which again makes him similar to Drew Brees.

EDIT: As I look at it, that ball you clipped probably would've come out faster if its spiral hadn't come apart at the end.

Many of Tua's best throws into tight windows were actually in a game he gets criticized for the most - the national championship game against Clemson.

It's why people are so bad at evaluating quarterbacks.

Tua's pocket presence is one of the most attractive things about him as an option at QB.

Back
Top Bottom