Smack! Wow. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smack! Wow.

I was referring to our draft history. Ireland success and finding starters during his tenure is better than his predecessors. I think time after time statistics have shown his draft selections are on par in relation to other GM's as far as percentage of starters selected. But, I'm not really trying to turn this into another Ireland thread please. He sucks I get it already, I'm in the minority and I'm delusional for believing otherwise. Fine already.
Playing it safe in the draft can get any GM to find starters...we need impact players and we need skill position players. The bar has to be raised. Comparing him to his predecessors is not the comparison we need. How does he compare with the best GMs in the league? Atlanta (who has drafted amazingly well since Thomas Demitroff was hired as GM in 2008), Green Bay and San Francisco? Teams that not only get starters but impact players. This is where Ireland has fallen short. He needs to break out of his comfort zone of drafting O-line and D-line early and get those skill positions that change a game...that big play WR, the shutdown corner, the unblockable DE, the linebacker that goes sideline to sideline (and can cover a TE). That's what we need.

You completely misread what I wrote. Not even close actually. In no way, shape, or form did I say that he is responsible for prior GM decisions. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

LMAO, Damn Gonz you fina do me like that brother ?

Playing it safe in the draft can get any GM to find starters...we need impact players and we need skill position players. The bar has to be raised. Comparing him to his predecessors is not the comparison we need. How does he compare with the best GMs in the league? Atlanta (who has drafted amazingly well since Thomas Demitroff was hired as GM in 2008), Green Bay and San Francisco? Teams that not only get starters but impact players. This is where Ireland has fallen short. He needs to break out of his comfort zone of drafting O-line and D-line early and get those skill positions that change a game...that big play WR, the shutdown corner, the unblockable DE, the linebacker that goes sideline to sideline (and can cover a TE). That's what we need.

.that big play WR- Brandon Marshall wasn't big play? how did that turn out ? Hartline Leads the League in receptions drafted by you know who. That's not big play. Oh my bad you want him to ignore character issues and draft Dez Bryant. And by the way I know Hartline doesn't fit your description of big play, but let me lay it out for you. Without being the number 1 target until recently Hartline has (32) Plays of +20 Yards.. (7) Plays +40 Yards. 101 First Downs! and he has +80 yarder to add to his resume.

shutdown corner- Sean Smith is taking that step and his more Than Capable now. And Ireland hedge is bet by grabbing two in one Draft. And there's only one shutdown corner in the entire NFL, and he currently resided on the IR. That term shutdown no longer applies to today's NFL, just look at ASOMUGHA, NNAMDI he's great and he even gets beaten, and he just signed a mega contract.

unblockable DE- Went outside the box to Canada and got the BEST. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Cam Wake

the linebacker that goes sideline to sideline- Karlos Dansby ? Do you watch him play ?

So since i'm the big bafoon, and I'm on drugs, yadada, yadada trust me I've heard it all. But everything YOU just said we need we got. Again, so you don't think I'm crazy. Ill repeat it again. everything YOU just said we need we got.

Last edited by a moderator:
.that big play WR- Brandon Marshall wasn't big play? how did that turn out ? Hartline Leads the League in receptions drafted by you know who. That's not big play. Oh my bad you want him to ignore character issues and draft Dez Bryant. And by the way I know Hartline doesn't fit your description of big play, but let me lay it out for you. Without being the number 1 target until recently Hartline has (32) Plays of +20 Yards.. (7) Plays +40 Yards. 101 First Downs! and he has +80 yarder to add to his resume.

shutdown corner- Sean Smith is taking that step and his more Than Capable now. And Ireland hedge is bet by grabbing two in one Draft. And there's only one shutdown corner in the entire NFL, and he currently resided on the IR. That term shutdown no longer applies to today's NFL, just look at ASOMUGHA, NNAMDI he's great and he even gets beaten, and he just signed a mega contract.

unblockable DE- Went outside the box to Canada and got the BEST. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Cam Wake

the linebacker that goes sideline to sideline- Karlos Dansby ? Do you watch him play ?

So since i'm the big bafoon, and I'm on drugs, yadada, yadada trust me I've heard it all. But everything YOU just said we need we got. Again, so you don't think I'm crazy. Ill repeat it again. everything YOU just said we need we got.

Goodness gracious you should get the biggest homer award on the site.

Was Brandon Marshall drafted? How many TDs does Hartline have....yards don't equal big plays, grab a catch in traffic, break a tackle and score...that's a big play. Who said anything about Dez Bryant? Don't put words in my mouth, I was against Dez and you can look that up in the draft forum. I'm not calling Sean Smith a shutdown corner yet...one season...5 games at that...does not make a career and we need another corner...better than Richard Marshall on the other side of Smith. And Ireland grabbed two and now has traded one of them. Again, Cam Wake was not drafted and again one is not enough. You may be too young to remember when Jason Taylor was in his prime and we have Adewale Ogunleye on the other side of him...those were two DE that made plays and made it tough on opposing QBs...we have the guy on the strong side we need the one on the weak side now. Karlos Dansby can't cover a TE and again...that's one freakin linebacker, we play three of them. One guy at each position is not enough.

Go ahead and repeat it again.

Hartline 1 TD in 5 game, career high of 3 TDs in a season. Sean Smith now has 5 career INTs in his 4 year career, he's off to a good start but we need more. The DE/OLB playing opposite Wake since he's been starter has never had more than 6 sacks in a season...not enough production. Karlos Dansby has 1 INT, 1 forced fumble and 6 sacks in his 2+ season as a Dolphin (35 games)...that's not good enough, that's not a playmaking linebacker. Raise the bar dude. Dansby is the highest paid MLB in the league...we need more game changing plays than what he's given us.

Goodness gracious you should get the biggest homer award on the site.

Was Brandon Marshall drafted? How many TDs does Hartline have....yards don't equal big plays, grab a catch in traffic, break a tackle and score...that's a big play. Who said anything about Dez Bryant? Don't put words in my mouth, I was against Dez and you can look that up in the draft forum. I'm not calling Sean Smith a shutdown corner yet...one season...5 games at that...does not make a career and we need another corner...better than Richard Marshall on the other side of Smith. And Ireland grabbed two and now has traded one of them. Again, Cam Wake was not drafted and again one is not enough. You may be too young to remember when Jason Taylor was in his prime and we have Adewale Ogunleye on the other side of him...those were two DE that made plays and made it tough on opposing QBs...we have the guy on the strong side we need the one on the weak side now. Karlos Dansby can't cover a TE and again...that's one freakin linebacker, we play three of them. One guy at each position is not enough.

Go ahead and repeat it again.
i
Hartline 1 TD in 5 game, career high of 3 TDs in a season. Sean Smith now has 5 career INTs in his 4 year career, he's off to a good start but we need more. The DE/OLB playing opposite Wake since he's been starter has never had more than 6 sacks in a season...not enough production. Karlos Dansby has 1 INT, 1 forced fumble and 6 sacks in his 2+ season as a Dolphin (35 games)...that's not good enough, that's not a playmaking linebacker. Raise the bar dude. Dansby is the highest paid MLB in the league...we need more game changing plays than what he's given us.

I'm a homer but your expectation level is unrealistic. Even first Round receivers take two to three years to develop that's a fact. Hartline is just in his 4th Season. That's fact. You can't judge the corner position just based on Interceptions, that's a fact. S.Smith is just in his 4th Season. Fact. And How often do these game changing plays you are referring to happen? You act like everybody else is doing except us. News Flash what you want, every team in the league is always searching for it. It's just not that easy. Linebackers are judge more base on tackles than Interceptions. The things that Karlos Dansby does, and you can ask any coach don't always appear on a stat sheet. Since that time how many INT's you think Patrick Willis has? Or how about FF's >? The same amount of Int. and 3 more FF's. Woohoo and now he comes out on 3rd downs. But I bet you there's so much else he does. But whatever when I state how things do operate for the rest of the league I get label as a homer.

With 49 receiving yards at Cincinnati, Davone Bess now has 3,015 receiving yards and needs 49 yards to tie Howard Twilley for 13th place in team history. You realize he was an undrafted F.A. in his just in his fourth year right ? We are not talking about a 10 year vet here.

Bess is in his 5th year, not 4th

Agreed. Anyone can draft a bunch of lunch-pail starters when the team already sucks to begin with, having no starters. I mean, I see a lot of starters every week who suck balls. Saw many guys on the NY Jets tonight that I wouldn't want to see starting on my team, but they're starting in the NFL, and some of them for years. The two tackles in Arizona are starting and they suck sht, getting eaten alive every week looking like fat human turnstiles. They're starting, and so ??!! so what !

The difference is impact players. Impact players win games in the playoffs. And Ireland sucks at this & stinks in the skill position department (both offense and defense)

Anyone see JJ Watt tonight ?? Or in his 5 games this year as I did ?? In just his 2nd year, now THAT is an impact player who impacts the game in many ways. We have nothing like that on this team. Sherman's boy Tannehill may be one for us, but he's not there yet and may not be for a couple more years.

For those that may bring up Reggie Bush. He isn't a top level impact guy. Impact guys are reliable, durable, and you can't rely on Bush because if a player as much as breathes on him he's favoring an arm, shoulder or leg in games, and isn't the same player in games. How many times have we seen Bush receive a good lick from a defender just to watch him favoring something and is gimpy the rest of the way. He turns it down two notches. He becomes just another guy at that point, fragile, as we saw the past 2 weeks, and at various points last season when he was needed but impotent. The problem with him is its happened way too often during his career. He's not going to all-of-a-sudden become an ironman. He's only the real and healthy Reggie Bush 35% of the time.

Cam Wake is a nice pass rusher, but that's all he does is rush, and we have no help for him. It's not like Cam Wake is a Lawrence Taylor who disrupted plays all over the field causing fumbles and INT's like a madman,, now Taylor was an impact defender. Or a Ray Lewis or Derrick Thomas. Wake could be slightly more of an impact but the problem is Miami has no impact on the other side to help open him up.

We need a lot more impact. Against Top playoff defenses like Baltimore and the Steelers in the playoffs, you better have those impact guys or else you'll get shut down and playing golf rather quickly... because those defenses have serious impact players ... kind of like how Houston shut Miami down with just 3 points of offense (the TD came off a punt return) .. How Baltimore totally embarrassed Miami in the 2008 playoffs with their impact players on defense making Miami's non-impact offense look like total crap

You must have those impact guys when it counts. You're not going to encounter Oakland caliber defenses very often in the higher-octane playoffs when everything is turned up a notch,, and you're not going to encounter poor QB's in the playoffs very often - so you need those impact guys on defense as well to counter that disadvantage. Hell, we had Marino for what, 17 years ?? What an impact he was, but it wasn't close to being enough to win a title . You need a few of them, like the 49ers had when they absolutely destroyed Miami in Marino's only super bowl appearance.. Because when one or two of them are having an off-day, you've got 3 or 4 other impact guys making a huge difference in games.

I mean Houston with JJ Watt, Arian Foster, Andre Johnson, Cushing, etc.. all impact guys. I take all those guys over our guys at the same positions every day of the week and twice on sundays. The dolphins need a few impact players , and a real leader on defense (Dansby is no leader, neither is Wake)

I'm a homer but your expectation level is unrealistic. Even first Round receivers take two to three years to develop that's a fact. Hartline is just in his 4th Season. That's fact. You can't judge the corner position just based on Interceptions, that's a fact. S.Smith is just in his 4th Season. Fact. And How often do these game changing plays you are referring to happen? You act like everybody else is doing except us. News Flash what you want, every team in the league is always searching for it. It's just not that easy. Linebackers are judge more base on tackles than Interceptions. The things that Karlos Dansby does, and you can ask any coach don't always appear on a stat sheet. Since that time how many INT's you think Patrick Willis has? Or how about FF's >? The same amount of Int. and 3 more FF's. Woohoo and now he comes out on 3rd downs. But I bet you there's so much else he does. But whatever when I state how things do operate for the rest of the league I get label as a homer.
I agree that receivers take time, however, even in their first couple of season they usually flash some ability to make plays. And Hartline scored his career high 3 TDs in a season as a rookie...that's a fact. If you don't judge a CB on making interceptions or making plays what do you judge them on? How well they stand on the field? If they look good in a uniform? Fact...Sean Smith is not better than Sam Madison or Patrick Surtain (I'll reference guys who played for the Dolphins since you don't apparently watch anyone else). Here's another fact...Ladarius Webb was picked by the Ravens in the 3rd round of the same draft as Smith and he has 41 passes defensed and 8 INTs and he became a full time starter only last season, compare that with Smith's 36 passes defensed and 5 INTs as a 4 year starter. Comparing Karlos Dansby with Pat Willis is laughable. In his 2+ seasons (35 games) Dansby has 235 tackles (195 solo), 6 sacks, 3 FF, 0 FR, 1 INT, 11PDs and 15 TFLs...Willis in the last 2+ seasons (33 games) has 267 tackles (202 solo), 8 sacks, 7 FF, 3 FR, 2 INTs, 17 PDs and 10 TFLs...you're talking about a guy who has 8 sacks and 5 turnovers in 33 games compared to Dansby's 6 sacks and 1 TO in 35 games. Willis makes game changing plays and more importantly he has another linebacker on the team in Navarro Bowman that also makes plays...going back to my other post of needing more than just one player at each position.

I'm not really going to list all the receivers in this league that are making plays since you probably wouldn't know who they are but if you'd like to go back and look at the Green Bay Packers vs. Indianapolis Colts game and focus on a WR by the name of Reggie Wayne for the Colts...that's a play making WR. One handed catches with a DB hanging off of him, one of the best route runners in the league, great hands, excellent footwork on sideline routes, gets hit a yard short of the goal line and has the strength to fight through the tackle and score the TD...there's a reason Reggie Wayne is the most targeted WR in the league and thats cause young Andrew Luck knows he can make plays and score TDs...and don't come back and try to compare Brian Hartline with Reggie Wayne...Reggie has 12,214 career receiving yards and needs only 102 more receptions for 1000 in his career to go with his 75 TDs...he's probably a hall of famer. There are a lot of teams in this league that have a true #1 play making WR on their squad...Philly, Giants, Packers, Lions, Falcons, Panthers, Cardinals, Jets (although Holmes is now injured), Bills, Cincy, Steelers, Texans, Indy, Broncos and K.C...some of these teams have two but then they put more value on the WR position than we have. My expectations are not unrealistic...you would think in the previous 4 drafts Ireland would have gotten us at least one play maker but he avoids skill positions in the early rounds...look at the teams in the upper half of the league, every single one of them have at least one play maker on their team...Even Minnesota has Jared Allen, Pearcy Harvin and Adrian Peterson...when you've got to have a big play those three seem to deliver more often than not. You don't luck into drafting play makers you have to evaluate properly and draft them...usually high in the draft, like the first two rounds.

Wait, did you just compare Dansby to Willis? Dandy is playing much better this year (was a pile of poop for the first half of last year), but he still couldn't hold Willis's jockstrap. Hard to take what you are writing serious when you write that kind of stuff.

And before you do it, please spare me the stats. I don't care. I WATCH them play. Anybody that does knows Willis >>>>>>>>>>> Dansby. That being said, Dansby is the almost the least of our problems.

Wait, did you just compare Dansby to Willis? Dandy is playing much better this year (was a pile of poop for the first half of last year), but he still couldn't hold Willis's jockstrap. Hard to take what you are writing serious when you write that kind of stuff.

And before you do it, please spare me the stats. I don't care. I WATCH them play. Anybody that does knows Willis >>>>>>>>>>> Dansby. That being said, Dansby is the almost the least of our problems.

You don't have to take me serious. I'm use to it by now, but my point was judging a Linebacker base on just INTERCEPTIONS, that was my point. But if use a reference in Willis name is mention, then it throws my whole argument out. lol. Wow.

You know what, I get it, I'm just going to just leave some of you guys alone, I have my opinions and you guys have yours, I'll just leave it at that.

You don't to take me serious. I'm use to it by now, but my point was judging a Linebacker base on INTERCEPTIONS is not IDEAL, that was my point. But if use a reference in Willis name is mention, then it throws my whole argument out. lol. Wow.

You know what, I get it, I'm just going to just leave some of you guys alone, I have my opinions and you guys have yours, I'll just leave it at that.

That's the whole point of this place. It would be boring as hell if we all agreed on everything (though some would apparently prefer that). We can agree on one thing: we all want the phins to win a championship, we just have different views on how to get there. That's why calling people homers and haters is stupid.

I agree that receivers take time, however, even in their first couple of season they usually flash some ability to make plays. And Hartline scored his career high 3 TDs in a season as a rookie...that's a fact. If you don't judge a CB on making interceptions or making plays what do you judge them on? How well they stand on the field? If they look good in a uniform? Fact...Sean Smith is not better than Sam Madison or Patrick Surtain (I'll reference guys who played for the Dolphins since you don't apparently watch anyone else). Here's another fact...Ladarius Webb was picked by the Ravens in the 3rd round of the same draft as Smith and he has 41 passes defensed and 8 INTs and he became a full time starter only last season, compare that with Smith's 36 passes defensed and 5 INTs as a 4 year starter. Comparing Karlos Dansby with Pat Willis is laughable. In his 2+ seasons (35 games) Dansby has 235 tackles (195 solo), 6 sacks, 3 FF, 0 FR, 1 INT, 11PDs and 15 TFLs...Willis in the last 2+ seasons (33 games) has 267 tackles (202 solo), 8 sacks, 7 FF, 3 FR, 2 INTs, 17 PDs and 10 TFLs...you're talking about a guy who has 8 sacks and 5 turnovers in 33 games compared to Dansby's 6 sacks and 1 TO in 35 games. Willis makes game changing plays and more importantly he has another linebacker on the team in Navarro Bowman that also makes plays...going back to my other post of needing more than just one player at each position.

I'm not really going to list all the receivers in this league that are making plays since you probably wouldn't know who they are but if you'd like to go back and look at the Green Bay Packers vs. Indianapolis Colts game and focus on a WR by the name of Reggie Wayne for the Colts...that's a play making WR. One handed catches with a DB hanging off of him, one of the best route runners in the league, great hands, excellent footwork on sideline routes, gets hit a yard short of the goal line and has the strength to fight through the tackle and score the TD...there's a reason Reggie Wayne is the most targeted WR in the league and thats cause young Andrew Luck knows he can make plays and score TDs...and don't come back and try to compare Brian Hartline with Reggie Wayne...Reggie has 12,214 career receiving yards and needs only 102 more receptions for 1000 in his career to go with his 75 TDs...he's probably a hall of famer. There are a lot of teams in this league that have a true #1 play making WR on their squad...Philly, Giants, Packers, Lions, Falcons, Panthers, Cardinals, Jets (although Holmes is now injured), Bills, Cincy, Steelers, Texans, Indy, Broncos and K.C...some of these teams have two but then they put more value on the WR position than we have. My expectations are not unrealistic...you would think in the previous 4 drafts Ireland would have gotten us at least one play maker but he avoids skill positions in the early rounds...look at the teams in the upper half of the league, every single one of them have at least one play maker on their team...Even Minnesota has Jared Allen, Pearcy Harvin and Adrian Peterson...when you've got to have a big play those three seem to deliver more often than not. You don't luck into drafting play makers you have to evaluate properly and draft them...usually high in the draft, like the first two rounds.

You can question my knowledge of expertise on the players I know or not. But I've made more money in football than you will ever see in your lifetime. You keep saying we don't have playmakers, but every week someone on this team is making plays after plays. Go ahead live in your fantasy world, go on and believe the Reggie Wayne's and Patrick Willi's are just lathered on every team but the Dolphins.

Bottom Line when it's all said and done, you will realize just how good of a team Ireland as build as a collective group. And I'll just sit back and say I TOLD YOU SO.

Agreed. Anyone can draft a bunch of lunch-pail starters when the team already sucks to begin with, having no starters. I mean, I see a lot of starters every week who suck balls. Saw many guys on the NY Jets tonight that I wouldn't want to see starting on my team, but they're starting in the NFL, and some of them for years. The two tackles in Arizona are starting and they suck sht, getting eaten alive every week looking like fat human turnstiles. They're starting, and so ??!! so what !

The difference is impact players. Impact players win games in the playoffs. And Ireland sucks at this & stinks in the skill position department (both offense and defense)

Anyone see JJ Watt tonight ?? Or in his 5 games this year as I did ?? In just his 2nd year, now THAT is an impact player who impacts the game in many ways. We have nothing like that on this team. Sherman's boy Tannehill may be one for us, but he's not there yet and may not be for a couple more years.

For those that may bring up Reggie Bush. He isn't a top level impact guy. Impact guys are reliable, durable, and you can't rely on Bush because if a player as much as breathes on him he's favoring an arm, shoulder or leg in games, and isn't the same player in games. How many times have we seen Bush receive a good lick from a defender just to watch him favoring something and is gimpy the rest of the way. He turns it down two notches. He becomes just another guy at that point, fragile, as we saw the past 2 weeks, and at various points last season when he was needed but impotent. The problem with him is its happened way too often during his career. He's not going to all-of-a-sudden become an ironman. He's only the real and healthy Reggie Bush 35% of the time.

Cam Wake is a nice pass rusher, but that's all he does is rush, and we have no help for him. It's not like Cam Wake is a Lawrence Taylor who disrupted plays all over the field causing fumbles and INT's like a madman,, now Taylor was an impact defender. Or a Ray Lewis or Derrick Thomas. Wake could be slightly more of an impact but the problem is Miami has no impact on the other side to help open him up.

We need a lot more impact. Against Top playoff defenses like Baltimore and the Steelers in the playoffs, you better have those impact guys or else you'll get shut down and playing golf rather quickly... because those defenses have serious impact players ... kind of like how Houston shut Miami down with just 3 points of offense (the TD came off a punt return) .. How Baltimore totally embarrassed Miami in the 2008 playoffs with their impact players on defense making Miami's non-impact offense look like total crap

You must have those impact guys when it counts. You're not going to encounter Oakland caliber defenses very often in the higher-octane playoffs when everything is turned up a notch,, and you're not going to encounter poor QB's in the playoffs very often - so you need those impact guys on defense as well to counter that disadvantage. Hell, we had Marino for what, 17 years ?? What an impact he was, but it wasn't close to being enough to win a title . You need a few of them, like the 49ers had when they absolutely destroyed Miami in Marino's only super bowl appearance.. Because when one or two of them are having an off-day, you've got 3 or 4 other impact guys making a huge difference in games.

I mean Houston with JJ Watt, Arian Foster, Andre Johnson, Cushing, etc.. all impact guys. I take all those guys over our guys at the same positions every day of the week and twice on sundays. The dolphins need a few impact players , and a real leader on defense (Dansby is no leader, neither is Wake)

We have impact players. If I were you instead of beating this point over and over, about what we are lacking, and sweating all these other teams players, I would just come to my senses and appreciated what we do have. And get on this wagon, before you miss it Grey.

Team Categories In Which They Are In The Top 10 Let's Count.

#7 Rush
#8 Rush Yards Per Game.
#7 Yards Per Attempt.
#2 65 Yards.Longest Run From Scrimmage.
#2 Rushing Touchdowns.
#3 Average Yards Per Reception.
#2 Longest Pass Play From Scrimmage.
#2 Punts Return Attempts.
#6 Avg. Yards Return Per Punt.
#5 Longest Punt Return
#1 Punt Return For TD.
#1 Forced Punts.
#6 In Sacks Allowed
#6 Rushing First Downs.
#3 In Third Down Conversions
#6 In Total Penalties
#7 In Penalties Yards
#8 Solo Tackles
#4 In Sacks
#6 In Pass Defense!
#4 In Interceptions
#4 Forced Fumble

That's 23, if you include #6 in RedZone Defense. Without impact players how does this happen ? Why are we not in the bottom of these categories, you don't think the players are having an impact. We are currently standing with 12 Categories in the top 5. Top 5 IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. Who's out there each Sunday wearing the jersey? Are they GHOST ? Is this just happening by MAGIC? VODOO? SANTERIA? Or is it our players having impact? We are a couple of turnovers and missed FG's from being 4-1. That's a fact. We have outplayed every team we have face this year with the exception of the Texans. How foes this not register that you are wrong about our players?

Back
Top Bottom