Smh Minkah Not A "top 10 Defensive Rookie" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smh Minkah Not A "top 10 Defensive Rookie"

Yes, it is, but how sweet would it be if the Phins laid waste to the league on their way to a deep playoff run?

I would love for some in the media (local, as well as national) to have to eat crow.

Yes, I play lotto too....

too bad there is a total lack of sports journalism, just "media". I just DGAF about these people. some FF hack? he won't eat crow.

as little as I know about professional football, it is sad that alot of people who get paid to talk about it have nothing to teach me

His own doing. He trademarked the name FitzMagic and made himself disappear from the rankings.

Really wish we were able to nab Fred Warner instead of Baker. Would’ve slotted perfectly at SAM.

According to football-outsiders.com this defense is ranked #1 in DVOA by a large margin. If that’s still the case after 16 games and Fitzpatrick is still outside the top 10, where can I sign up for that?

According to football-outsiders.com this defense is ranked #1 in DVOA by a large margin. If that’s still the case after 16 games and Fitzpatrick is still outside the top 10, where can I sign up for that?

Apologize if this is a dumb question but what's DVOA?

He's a better player right now than any player on that list ahead of him.
I would agree with that.

I admit I haven't seen much of the others, outside a few highlights, but I've seen a lot of rooks over the years and he's been as advertised. One of the best secondary players I can recall.

Derwin James is playing possed.

Once Minkah makes some splash plays, turnovers, he’ll start making headlines.

Once he becomes a full time FS he’ll be a top player in the NFL.

What he is doing now impresses me more than anything he could realistically do as FS.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather we had another starting caliber corner, so Fitzpatrick could play back.

As it stands now, how do you rate him as a slot cover guy? Gotta be top 10 in the league right?

Derwin James was my preference for the majority of the draft process. There is no question he has more physical ability than Fitzpatrick. Watch that clip from the top of the OP link. Fitzpatrick is not capable of making a possessed bull rush with plenty of wiggle and chase like James managed on that play.

The all time comedy was when some pundits were calling James merely a box safety.

However, Fitzpatrick is a special player and very sharp. In the final weeks I started to think he might be the better option for Miami. We had tons of coaches on the field during the glory '70s but virtually none recently. When that pick went up to the podium it was a very rare example of not knowing who to root for. The names I had in mind were Fitzpatrick, James and the Virginia Tech linebacker Tremaine Edmunds. I would have been happy with any of them. I remember cringing and then being happy with the Fitzpatrick pick...thinking we went with the safest option, but not the one with greatest upside.

Nobody should be shocked that the bigger more imposing guy is receiving the early acclaim. But we know what we have in Fitzpatrick. Those instincts aren't going away.

As I've emphasized, I believe in picking multiple times early. I really don't care about those midround picks as opposed to multiple tries at a great player. Take the 2, 3 and 4 pick to move up. That would be my preferred strategy. Throw in something else if you have to, like a marginal player. Then start picking again in the 5th round. It may be boring and frustrating to sit out those rounds but that extra elite talent more than makes up for it.

Derwin James was my preference for the majority of the draft process. There is no question he has more physical ability than Fitzpatrick. Watch that clip from the top of the OP link. Fitzpatrick is not capable of making a possessed bull rush with plenty of wiggle and chase like James managed on that play.

The all time comedy was when some pundits were calling James merely a box safety.

However, Fitzpatrick is a special player and very sharp. In the final weeks I started to think he might be the better option for Miami. We had tons of coaches on the field during the glory '70s but virtually none recently. When that pick went up to the podium it was a very rare example of not knowing who to root for. The names I had in mind were Fitzpatrick, James and the Virginia Tech linebacker Tremaine Edmunds. I would have been happy with any of them. I remember cringing and then being happy with the Fitzpatrick pick...thinking we went with the safest option, but not the one with greatest upside.

Nobody should be shocked that the bigger more imposing guy is receiving the early acclaim. But we know what we have in Fitzpatrick. Those instincts aren't going away.

As I've emphasized, I believe in picking multiple times early. I really don't care about those midround picks as opposed to multiple tries at a great player. Take the 2, 3 and 4 pick to move up. That would be my preferred strategy. Throw in something else if you have to, like a marginal player. Then start picking again in the 5th round. It may be boring and frustrating to sit out those rounds but that extra elite talent more than makes up for it.

Huh? What bullrush? All I saw was a tackle that turned inside and completely let #33 run pass him.

I'm all in on Fitzpatrick and think he's the best player we've drafted since Jake Long in terms of immediate impact and getting his HOF bust ready, but he's hasn't exactly lit the league on fire yet. He's a sure tackler and doesn't make a lot of mistakes but hasn't done too much yet that makes you go wow thats special. I fully believe he will get there with the splash plays but its just not there yet but its only been 2 games. The list is what it is, 2 games in its hard to judge any of those players really.
Well said truth.

What he is doing now impresses me more than anything he could realistically do as FS.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather we had another starting caliber corner, so Fitzpatrick could play back.

As it stands now, how do you rate him as a slot cover guy? Gotta be top 10 in the league right?

Good luck putting a top 10 together of slot corners

Back
Top Bottom