Smh Minkah Not A "top 10 Defensive Rookie" | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smh Minkah Not A "top 10 Defensive Rookie"

Face guarding is no longer pi.

Heck, it's been legal since the '70s.

I watched that play again at 11:32 in this video:

From that angle I'm definitely not convinced it's obvious PI. I'd need to see a replay on a different angle but it honestly kind of looks to me like Darnold and Robbie Anderson aren't on the same page at all here. Anderson's carrying outside to the pylon and Darnold throws it and Darnold throws it a bit inside. There's contact there, but how much of it is Anderson trying to get back to the ball by going through Minkah? Just saying.

They used to call face guarding in the end zone all the time.

And I don’t mean the 70s

They used to call face guarding in the end zone all the time.

And I don’t mean the 70s

Well as far as I know they haven't changed the rule on that in a long time.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/defensive-pass-interference/

"Contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the opponent's opportunity to make the catch."

Honestly, the way the rule is worded, it sounds like it doesn't matter who initiates the contact. If you don't get your head around and there's contact, that's a foul.

The only thing I can see with that Robbie Anderson play is that they might have felt Anderson simply didn't have a chance on the ball once he went to play it.

Well as far as I know they haven't changed the rule on that in a long time.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/defensive-pass-interference/

"Contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the opponent's opportunity to make the catch."

Honestly, the way the rule is worded, it sounds like it doesn't matter who initiates the contact. If you don't get your head around and there's contact, that's a foul.

The only thing I can see with that Robbie Anderson play is that they might have felt Anderson simply didn't have a chance on the ball once he went to play it.

I believe that face guarding does not entail contact. It was illegal for a while I recall, and they changed it to be legal within the last couple seasons (although as I age, time compresses so it may have been a decade ago!)

Very good point. He's lined up at FS and in the slot but really he seems to be everywhere. The heck with them. Who cares what they say as long as he help us win which he's been doing so far.

Gase said in the presser either tues or yesterday, they have 3 different scenarios to use Fitzpatrick. But as you know, Gase wouldn't give up what they are.

I'd like to see someone seriously claim this board wouldn't have been screaming for pass interference if uniforms had been reversed. The replay angle from behind the end zone was very clear. The Jets receiver didn't sell it like others would have, and he's not someone to automatically get a call like that. But it was interference. Dolphins have received enormous benefit of a doubt through two games in terms of officiating.

I believe that face guarding does not entail contact. It was illegal for a while I recall, and they changed it to be legal within the last couple seasons (although as I age, time compresses so it may have been a decade ago!)

I looked it up and it says the rule was last changed in the '70s. Am I missing something? Maybe they changed the emphasis on it?

I'd like to see someone seriously claim this board wouldn't have been screaming for pass interference if uniforms had been reversed. The replay angle from behind the end zone was very clear. The Jets receiver didn't sell it like others would have, and he's not someone to automatically get a call like that. But it was interference. Dolphins have received enormous benefit of a doubt through two games in terms of officiating.

I think the ruling there is that it was uncatchable, but if the refs felt it was catchable then that was PI by definition. Minkah was not playing the ball and he did make contact with the receiver. Doesn't matter who initiated it.

I feel more educated about the technicality of the DPI rule after this discussion, at least.

That’s my recollection also. Within the last few years. I heard an announcer talking about it in game

Heck, it's been legal since the '70s.

I watched that play again at 11:32 in this video:

From that angle I'm definitely not convinced it's obvious PI. I'd need to see a replay on a different angle but it honestly kind of looks to me like Darnold and Robbie Anderson aren't on the same page at all here. Anderson's carrying outside to the pylon and Darnold throws it and Darnold throws it a bit inside. There's contact there, but how much of it is Anderson trying to get back to the ball by going through Minkah? Just saying.

Anderson played that soft. Don’t reward soft. That’s pretty much what Anderson is any ways. A soft vertical only threat wr

Derwin James was my preference for the majority of the draft process. There is no question he has more physical ability than Fitzpatrick. Watch that clip from the top of the OP link. Fitzpatrick is not capable of making a possessed bull rush with plenty of wiggle and chase like James managed on that play.

The all time comedy was when some pundits were calling James merely a box safety.

However, Fitzpatrick is a special player and very sharp. In the final weeks I started to think he might be the better option for Miami. We had tons of coaches on the field during the glory '70s but virtually none recently. When that pick went up to the podium it was a very rare example of not knowing who to root for. The names I had in mind were Fitzpatrick, James and the Virginia Tech linebacker Tremaine Edmunds. I would have been happy with any of them. I remember cringing and then being happy with the Fitzpatrick pick...thinking we went with the safest option, but not the one with greatest upside.

Nobody should be shocked that the bigger more imposing guy is receiving the early acclaim. But we know what we have in Fitzpatrick. Those instincts aren't going away.

As I've emphasized, I believe in picking multiple times early. I really don't care about those midround picks as opposed to multiple tries at a great player. Take the 2, 3 and 4 pick to move up. That would be my preferred strategy. Throw in something else if you have to, like a marginal player. Then start picking again in the 5th round. It may be boring and frustrating to sit out those rounds but that extra elite talent more than makes up for it.
I debated for months about Edmunds, really happy Grier didn’t take him, critical decision, and a very good one imo.

If not for minkah Tremaine Edmunds would be a dolphin per Barry Jackson report post draft.

If not for minkah Tremaine Edmunds would be a dolphin per Barry Jackson report post draft.

I love Minkah but if that's the way they plan on using him, I would of went with Derwin James. I want to see more free safety play from Minkah to justify over James, I agree with your Malcolm Jenkins comparison.

Back
Top Bottom