Smith versus Waddle | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smith versus Waddle

Just looked it up. Since 2000, there have been 36 WRs drafted in the top 15 in round 1. Counted a total of 9 that seem worth it(counting Parker). Interesting.
The bust rate on highly drafted WRs is pretty high. It's always been like that.

Just want to add that I don't think the solution to wr woes is to draft two highly. I'd rather draft one and get another in free agency. Rookie wiee receivers are a wild card and may be a year away from really improving your team. I wouldn't want to put all our eggs on improving the er room in that basket while at the same time spending draft capital on that alone.

Its not like there aren't viable free agents.

This is true

but I’m taking my shot this year
We pretty much have to... I'm not saying that we shouldn't; I'm merely saying that the guys at 1b or 2a might be just as good as the first couple of names on the list.

We pretty much have to... I'm not saying that we shouldn't; I'm merely saying that the guys at 1b or 2a might be just as good as the first couple of names on the list.
Oh for sure, we’ll know in about a year

the guy from Auburn who is super fast is intriguing too but I’ve read he may have injury issues and the dropsies... I’d rather take a shot on the other 4 guys beforehand but plenty of time to go well see what unfolds

I guess this video backs up your point. I'd still go for one high unless the board throws up something we can't refuse. Then we could look at a St Brown or Dazz Newsome or similar later on.

My main concern is that we take advantage of having 5 early picks and we don't waste our opportunity - it might be a few years before we have this kind of draft capital again.

I guess this video backs up your point. I'd still go for one high unless the board throws up something we can't refuse. Then we could look at a St Brown or Dazz Newsome or similar later on.

My main concern is that we take advantage of having 5 early picks and we don't waste our opportunity - it might be a few years before we have this kind of draft capital again.

I REALLY like St. Brown btw... he is my favourite 2nd round target.

That said, I do expect that we'll take a WR in round 1, I'm just not sure that I want this to happen. A Rousseau/Parsons first pick, and a Humphrey/Darrisaw/Leatherwood 1b pick might be our best bet.

No, the contrary, give him more time to throw and a rushing attack. Having a super talented WR isn’t as special as people think, that’s why the elite ones don’t have rings.

Finding the right guys for your system is a lot more important than finding a guy with elite height/weight/speed. That’s why Jarvis Landry is a better football player than Odell Beckham.

No one has ever had too many OL.

It doesn't matter how good the blocking is if the WR's don't separate and catch the ball. The correct approach is to invest the necessary resources to make the OL good enough, because it must be good enough. If you can only do that by spending premium picks/money, then you have to do it, but the difference between good enough and great is not significant. You start hitting the law of diminishing returns.

If you could pick one position to be elite (after QB), it's WR (and TE - but there are far fewer elite TE's). OL must play well enough to set up the QB and WR's to succeed, but it's the QB's and WR's that are making the plays.

The hit rate on 1st RD WR's isn't as high as 1st RD OL, but there are ways to filter out players more likely to bust, and when you hit on them, they raise the ceiling of your team much more than OL do.

Mentioning the running game is a red herring and not something that should even cross your mind when discussing premium assets.

What’s going to be interesting about this draft is that Miami is likely going to have the opportunity to draft a top-notch slot receiver (or two), and a very good RB (or two) if they so choose. This draft looks to be just loaded with exactly the sort of receiver that would help Tua.

Waddle
Etienne
Harris
St. Brown

How would that be for your first four picks?

I would bet a year’s pay that Devonta Smith will not bust.
Sadly... that's what is said about most of these guys.

You may be right, but all of them have their partisans and I'm just not the guy who generally speaks in absolutes.

This.

This statement should be made to every single football fan who ever insisted that they just KNOW that a particular player is going to be a star.

It blows my mind that 32 NFL teams and the hundreds of scouts that they employ have a 50% bust rate in the first round when so many geniuses are available for hire on a football board.

I mean... Hell... we have at least 5 or 6 here who would be worshipped by GMs everywhere... just ask them.

I think we all agree that a dynamic WR should be added to this offense.

Many seem to think that using their first 1st rounder is the only way to do so.

While that MAY turn out to be the best option it is not the only way forward.

And as I have pointed out before having terrific WR's is not worth all that much if the QB does not have time to throw the ball.They need to continue to build the OL as well.

I do not think that OL would make sense with Houston's pick as the only OL I see worth taking that high is Sewell and he will be long gone.

My hope is that Miami is able to entice a QB hungry team to move up a bit giving the Fins even more Draft capital while still enabling them to snag a top WR.
I think that's a big possibility. So many teams need a quarterback. San Francisco could be a good trade partner sitting around 17th. Las Vegas maybe. Its only a matter of time until Gruden wants an upgrade over Carr, who is decent.

Back
Top Bottom