Smith versus Waddle | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smith versus Waddle

If you believe in your QB, you should give him less to work with?

No, the contrary, give him more time to throw and a rushing attack. Having a super talented WR isn’t as special as people think, that’s why the elite ones don’t have rings.

Finding the right guys for your system is a lot more important than finding a guy with elite height/weight/speed. That’s why Jarvis Landry is a better football player than Odell Beckham.

No one has ever had too many OL.

They will all 3 be gone by our 1b. You’d pass on Michael Irvin, Marvin Harrison, and Tyreek Hill to draft another Devante Parker clone? Ok
My grasp of the future is not quite as good as yours obviously.

If I KNEW(as you clearly do)that those three are going to be "Michael Irvin, Marvin Harrison, and Tyreek Hill", I might draft one of them instead.

My grasp of the future is not quite as good as yours obviously.

If I KNEW(as you clearly do)that those three are going to be "Michael Irvin, Marvin Harrison, and Tyreek Hill", I might draft one of them instead.
This.

This statement should be made to every single football fan who ever insisted that they just KNOW that a particular player is going to be a star.

It blows my mind that 32 NFL teams and the hundreds of scouts that they employ have a 50% bust rate in the first round when so many geniuses are available for hire on a football board.

I mean... Hell... we have at least 5 or 6 here who would be worshipped by GMs everywhere... just ask them.

I think this is one of the best all time debates. I can’t make up my mind. If you force me to, I might say Waddle because of the extra gear and our need for that. But Smith‘s relentlessness and sheer volume of catches is also huge. I really hope we get one of them. The history with Tua makes it an even bigger deal.

We need to spend that 1st pick on a WR if Parsons is off the board. Period. Like others have said they will be gone by our second pick. I personally want Chase or Smith. I like Waddle but his size, injury and sample size put him behind those guys. Smith has arguably been their best WR for 2 years with Jeudy and Ruggs.

I think we all agree that a dynamic WR should be added to this offense.

Many seem to think that using their first 1st rounder is the only way to do so.

While that MAY turn out to be the best option it is not the only way forward.

And as I have pointed out before having terrific WR's is not worth all that much if the QB does not have time to throw the ball.They need to continue to build the OL as well.

I do not think that OL would make sense with Houston's pick as the only OL I see worth taking that high is Sewell and he will be long gone.

My hope is that Miami is able to entice a QB hungry team to move up a bit giving the Fins even more Draft capital while still enabling them to snag a top WR.

This.

This statement should be made to every single football fan who ever insisted that they just KNOW that a particular player is going to be a star.

It blows my mind that 32 NFL teams and the hundreds of scouts that they employ have a 50% bust rate in the first round when so many geniuses are available for hire on a football board.

I mean... Hell... we have at least 5 or 6 here who would be worshipped by GMs everywhere... just ask them.
He may be right, those three might all be great but he does not know it to be certain and neither does anyone else.

I think it is generally a mistake to take WR's high in round 1 and I think history backs me up.

He may be right, those three might all be great but he does not know it to be certain and neither does anyone else.

I think it is generally a mistake to take WR's high in round 1 and I think history backs me up.
I'm not a fan of doing it, anymore than I am a fan of drafting RBs, Safeties, or Interior Linemen early... but sometimes... well, you have to do it. I think the trick is to draft for the stars when you do this. Don't take a 5th year, polished guy who'll start right away; instead take a gamble that your guy is going to be great.
Hell... you are already going to get flack for drafting a position of lesser importance, so swing for the fences.

I wonder how quickly Waddle will be able to recover... have a pro day at all?

He'll be ready.

I think it was only a break; there was no tissue damage.
That’s good news

I love him and his speed but Smith is so smooth too. Chase is a beast. Hope one of those 3 for us

Bateman probably next up

Just looked it up. Since 2000, there have been 36 WRs drafted in the top 15 in round 1. Counted a total of 9 that seem worth it(counting Parker). Interesting.

That’s good news

I love him and his speed but Smith is so smooth too. Chase is a beast. Hope one of those 3 for us

Bateman probably next up
I have posted repeatedly that one reason I don't get caught up in the Waddle or Smith hype is because I am not even sure that these two are the best options. Sure... they get lots of press and put up big numbers, but if you moved Chase or Bateman into the Bama offense, they would as well.
The WR pool is extremely deep this year, and if you are a draft value guy (I am), you look to get maximize your results and taking a player out of a deep pool while it is still deep... might not be the best way.

Back
Top Bottom