So happy with the win, so worried about Tannehill's | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So happy with the win, so worried about Tannehill's

Tannehill's pocket awareness needs to improve. He's not going to get good protection all the time, as no NFL QB does. He needs to anticipate what kind of rush is coming and be ready to get out of the pocket on his own, whether it's a designed roll-out or not. The problem is that, with his inexperience at the position, he's unable to "multi-task" and do his progression while making decisions about moving within and out of the pocket at the same time. He's going through his reads and making "passing" decisions, while being unable to make decisions about his own movement with regard to the pass rush at the same time.

Don't be worried. All you need is skill positions to be filled with quality talent and you can have mediocre o-lineman, blocking TE's and RB's and you will be fine. Why? You have skill positional talent. So when your qb gets hammered all year long and goes down with a season ending injury, it won't matter. Why? You have talented skill positions.

I feel your pain.......the Phinz need to draft some OL that can pass block next year. I really hope that the Phinz draft a legit T and G next year, I'm sick of seeing our current garbage pass protection. What good is having a legit QB and WRs, if the QB is on his butt the whole game. What good is having the fastest WR in the NFL if your QB is kissing the turf before the WR can get deep. I say fix the OL and I don't give a monkey's butt how high they draft the OL just fix the damn OL ASAP while T-Hill can still walk :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
Tannehill's pocket awareness needs to improve. He's not going to get good protection all the time, as no NFL QB does. He needs to anticipate what kind of rush is coming and be ready to get out of the pocket on his own, whether it's a designed roll-out or not. The problem is that, with his inexperience at the position, he's unable to "multi-task" and do his progression while making decisions about moving within and out of the pocket at the same time. He's going through his reads and making "passing" decisions, while being unable to make decisions about his own movement with regard to the pass rush at the same time.

Uh.........the Phinz pass protection currently looks abit awful, mostly jail breaks to the QB. T-hill has almost no time for any deep routes, our RBs just can not block (or catch) our G's & T's look like they get schooled far too many times in games.....giving up 14 sacks in 3 games is pure crap and should not be acceptable at the NFL level. Next man up should come in the draft next year.....feed the new OL all the corn they can eat.....as long as they can pass block.

The OL does stink, but Tannehill is at least a little to blame. I'd definitely like to see him using his athletic ability more. Feeling the pressure and scrambling to buy time or pick up yards with his feet. With this OL, he needs to have an internal clock built in. If nothing's open after 3 seconds, which is enough time to scan several of his reads, start looking for the checkdown or making a play with his feet. He's going to get killed at this rate, and sacks are obviously drive killers.

Excellent comment.....clearly T-Hill needs to scramble more.....ALOT more IMHO

I se this problem as our glaring weakness heel this year. Hopefully they can address it next year with some high draft picks / top free agents.

This is spot on and the announcers were all over it yesterday also...He needs to feel the pressure and start moving before the wave hits.

Watching it live I noticed a few things:

1) The entire middle of the line gets pushed back!
2) Tannehill does hold on to the ball sometimes too long
3) The running backs(Miller and especially D.Thomas) need to hit the weight room and work on their blocking technique.
4) I won't even mention the Tackles especially Tyson Clabo

We couldn't open up any holes for the RBs.

Now with all that being said our OC Sherman can help the line out a lot. Simply by spreading teams out defensively and running more quick type offensive plays. Similiar to what Atlanta was doing very early on in the game

I agree with all that you stated here....There is a a lot of contributing factors...the O-line is should be graded about a C or C-. When Tannehill gets time to throw he makes the right decision most of the time, but he does not have that clock in is head that good QB's have. Not sure that is something that he will get with time and experience, but if not then he will get killed, because you just can't take that kind of beating week in week out. I don't think these running backs had to block much in college because they look lost when they have to pick up any kind of blitz. If Clabo is the best right tackle we can come up with then we are in trouble...They could use upgrades at tackle and guard...Bottom line is if Tannehill keeps taking these hits he will not last the season....

Daniel Thomas was a matador yesterday, I couldn't believe the lack of effort.

Tannehill's pocket awareness needs to improve.

I like Ryan, but his pocket awareness is the weakest part of his game. Some guys just have the knack for sliding and moving in the pocket and knowing when to tuck and run.

I like Ryan, but his pocket awareness is the weakest part of his game. Some guys just have the knack for sliding and moving in the pocket and knowing when to tuck and run.

Some Guys = Andrew Luck
Guy seems to have a 6th sense, Big Ben is not so bad at it either

I was thinking during the game yesterday how awesome it would be if Marino were to coach Ryan being Dan was so good at the quick release and feeling pressure. If Ryan gleamed 1/2 of Marino's skill of getting it out he would drastically improve. He would also protect himself from the injury that is bound to happen taking all of those hits.

How do you teach pocket awareness?...RT does not feel the rush,and as a result he get blindsided way too often. I am also afraid he might not make it through the season if he keeps getting hit like this. The OL need to do a much better job at holding their blocks, and the coaching staff needs to work with RT on getting rid of the ball quickly or running (which RT can do) if there is nothing open down field.

How do you teach pocket awareness?
I think it's an experience issue. He just needs more reps IMO. Once he gets enough experience to have the passing part of his game down, which he's moving steadily toward, then he'll be able to do that more on "auto-pilot," while allocating more of his attention to the pass rush and how he has to move to avoid it. The problem right now, IMO, is that he's too inexperienced at the position to do both at the same time.

Anyone who thinks the QB was to blame for the sacks yesterday doesn't understand the game of football, and probably thinks Davone Bess is better than Calvin Johnson.

How do you teach pocket awareness?...RT does not feel the rush,and as a result he get blindsided way too often. I am also afraid he might not make it through the season if he keeps getting hit like this. The OL need to do a much better job at holding their blocks, and the coaching staff needs to work with RT on getting rid of the ball quickly or running (which RT can do) if there is nothing open down field.

I got it! Lets equip RT with a sensor and the linemen with buzzers. When there is a break in the dam lineman hits buzzer and RT takes off in what-ever direction seems right.
I know I know its a joke but I must say when some QB's are on the move it seems like they are forewarned in some way or another.

I got it! Lets equip RT with a sensor and the linemen with buzzers. When there is a break in the dam lineman hits buzzer and RT takes off in what-ever direction seems right.
I know I know its a joke but I must say when some QB's are on the move it seems like they are forewarned in some way or another.
Again, it's an experience issue IMO. QBs who are more experienced are able to make quicker and better deductions about what's going on based on 1) what they're seeing pre-snap, in terms of the pass rush, and 2) how the pass rush unfolds in front of them, in their peripheral vision, as they're scanning the field for passing targets. Consequently those QBs are able to both scan the field for passing targets and avoid the rush simultaneously.

Ryan Tannehill on the other hand, again given his inexperience, is allocating a great deal of his attention to scanning the field for passing targets, and doesn't have the experience built up yet to make quick and accurate deductions about what's likely to happen or what's unfolding with regard to the pass rush. Consequently he's left at the mercy of the pass rush, which essentially functions as a "blind spot" for him at this stage of his development.

Back
Top Bottom