So happy with the win, so worried about Tannehill's | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So happy with the win, so worried about Tannehill's

Again, it's an experience issue IMO. QBs who are more experienced are able to make quicker and better deductions about what's going on based on 1) what they're seeing pre-snap, in terms of the pass rush, and 2) how the pass rush unfolds in front of them, in their peripheral vision, as they're scanning the field for passing targets. Consequently those QBs are able to both scan the field for passing targets and avoid the rush simultaneously.

Ryan Tannehill on the other hand, again given his inexperience, is allocating a great deal of his attention to scanning the field for passing targets, and doesn't have the experience built up yet to make quick and accurate deductions about what's likely to happen or what's unfolding with regard to the pass rush. Consequently he's left at the mercy of the pass rush, which essentially functions as a "blind spot" for him at this stage of his development.

Yea I think you are right to a certain extent but seeing Luck play makes me believe its a gift to a degree also. I am aware Luck has been a QB since he was 3 so maybe all those extra QB years from midget league - college are the difference.

Anyone who thinks the QB was to blame for the sacks yesterday doesn't understand the game of football, and probably thinks Davone Bess is better than Calvin Johnson.

Since this comment was clearly directed at me, let me say that if you don't think if you don't think RT made some obvious mistakes (like holding the ball too long, and not getting rid of it when he had a chance) you know less about football than me.

Yea I think you are right to a certain extent but seeing Luck play makes me believe its a gift to a degree also. I am aware Luck has been a QB since he was 3 so maybe all those extra QB years from midget league - college are the difference.
I think players can have a "gift" insofar as they may have a greater capacity to more quickly process visual information and more quickly learn from experience. So Andrew Luck, for example, might have greater capacities in these areas than the average QB. However, I don't think that fully explains the difference we're seeing between him and Tannehill in this area (pocket awareness). It's entirely possible that their capacities (i.e., "ceilings") in this area are no different, but that Luck has benefitted from vastly more experience.

As an analogy, take two people who have the same capacity to drive well on the road and avoid accidents at high speed. Now make one of them 16, with very little driving experience, and make the other one 40, with 24 years of experience. Who's going to avoid the accident? Their capacities are the same, but their levels of experience are vastly different. At 40, the 16-year-old, if given the same driving experience, will be no different from the 40-year-old, however.

There will be change somewhere. Either these guys up their game or Ireland will bring someone in to do it for them, essentially losing them their jobs. If we lose to the Saints and beat the Ravens, we are 4-1 going into the bye, or as I see it, the "buy". We will see someone else join this team, and I would bet on it being someone for the OL.

Anyone who thinks the QB was to blame for the sacks yesterday doesn't understand the game of football, and probably thinks Davone Bess is better than Calvin Johnson.
I love this: "Dave Wannstedt: Nuking professional football franchises back into the stone age since 1993." - made me laugh pretty good!

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

A lot of good discussion here. I'm curious as I don't follow the college game - was Tanny a mobile QB / scrambler? I just assumed he'd be somewhat fleet-footed since he played WR?

u should be worried...just be glad this kids a hell of an athlete and has prototype size and took a lot of contact playing wr in college...not many qbs would be making it thru all this contact thru 3 games...it's not sustainable imo

might have to dial back a few things on offense and keep more guys in to protect the franchise...

I think players can have a "gift" insofar as they may have a greater capacity to more quickly process visual information and more quickly learn from experience. So Andrew Luck, for example, might have greater capacities in these areas than the average QB. However, I don't think that fully explains the difference we're seeing between him and Tannehill in this area (pocket awareness). It's entirely possible that their capacities (i.e., "ceilings") in this area are no different, but that Luck has benefitted from vastly more experience.

As an analogy, take two people who have the same capacity to drive well on the road and avoid accidents at high speed. Now make one of them 16, with very little driving experience, and make the other one 40, with 24 years of experience. Who's going to avoid the accident? Their capacities are the same, but their levels of experience are vastly different. At 40, the 16-year-old, if given the same driving experience, will be no different from the 40-year-old, however.

I believe we agree at the end of the day...There are times when a gifted 16 yo will outperform a 40 yo from just talent alone but on avg...experience wins. I think Luck has both on RT right now but in 5 years? I hope the gap closes drastically.

I se this problem as our glaring weakness heel this year. Hopefully they can address it next year with some high draft picks / top free agents.

See that's the problem. You NEVER use high draft picks on 0lineman. You draft more skill positional players. It balances the universe. If Tannehill would learn to always throw the ball away on every play that someone breaks free from mediocre lineman play then it's further proof that talented olineman arent' needed. He should always take off running too. That way he won't get injured on a sack and is definitely much less likely to be injured running in the open field. :rolleyes2:

If you think Tannehill needs to get the ball out quicker then do me a favor: look at the time he has until the pass rush gets to him and compare this to Tom Brady. You will notice a significant difference.

u should be worried...just be glad this kids a hell of an athlete and has prototype size and took a lot of contact playing wr in college...not many qbs would be making it thru all this contact thru 3 games...it's not sustainable imo

might have to dial back a few things on offense and keep more guys in to protect the franchise...
I would start mixing in a lot more quicker-developing passing plays, like we saw on the last drive yesterday, and use Wallace deep on play-action roll-outs, against single coverage. Freeze the safety early, let Tannehill get outside the pocket, and let Wallace get by the defender. I wouldn't just sit Tannehill back there in the pocket on longer-developing passing plays such as those.

they need to move the pocket more...we did it yesterday one time and tanny hit rishard mathews for a nice 3rd down conversion...but you also dont want to cut the field in half on your qb who reads coverage presnap etc so well...

got to do something though...kids getting killed...and people blaming him for those sacks yesterday need to clean their loop...same for tim ryan

Pretty soon Tannehill will be throwing out of the shotgun on all passing plays or running 3 step drop backs and quick NE style pass plays. Charles Clay could be on pace to catch a 100 balls if that happens.

they need to move the pocket more...we did it yesterday one time and tanny hit rishard mathews for a nice 3rd down conversion...but you also dont want to cut the field in half on your qb who reads coverage presnap etc so well...

got to do something though...kids getting killed...and people blaming him for those sacks yesterday need to clean their loop...same for tim ryan
That's why I would do that only on plays where I wanted to hit something long to Wallace. Cut the field in half with the idea that you're going against single coverage with a guy who can beat it, and then make the play happen. You have the personnel for it now.

well figure it out cause the sack problem is giving me nightmares. i'd rather they pummel me than tannehill. i want the dolphins to win that bad.

Back
Top Bottom