So happy with the win, so worried about Tannehill's | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So happy with the win, so worried about Tannehill's

you usually hit comebacks on those rollout plays where you move the pocket cause the dbs bail so much...getting wallace deep on those sounds great and all but also we roll tanny to the right side 99 percent of the time his strong side and that's usually where hartline is lined up on the boundary...i dont see it much changing

i might go with more 2 wr 2 te single back max protect like plays where i try to get wallace deep on a vertical crosser etc off pa...take my shots that way...

we have tried to make some adjustments with the protection from week 1 til now by not running routes that take as long to develop thus wallace not running vertical routes as much but if you can't block atlantas pretty meh front in pass pro you gonna have issues with just about everyone you play...

problem is though this offense is a lot about mismatches in the passing game created by formation and skill personnel and if you keep more guys in you limit your advantages...and your qbs options

That's why I would do that only on plays where I wanted to hit something long to Wallace. Cut the field in half with the idea that you're going against single coverage with a guy who can beat it, and then make the play happen. You have the personnel for it now.

if the qb roll to his right, the safety will automatically roll along with him knowing the left side of the field (for the QB) is no longer an option. you wouldn't get clean one-on-one looks on those deep plays.

How about we start by getting the TE's and RB's to get into some serious blocking drills this week. I don't want to do anything to limit the offense and surely don't want to start getting one dimensional in the passing game where Tannehill is limited by putting him in specific passing formations because we can't block our way out of a paper bag. Like many have said, when he has time to throw, he usually makes the right reads. He may be that type of qb where he just needs that extra second. Not every qb is going to be Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. However the best teams find a way to play to their qb's strengths and hide his weaknesses. Let's be one of those teams.

doesn't matter what you do...the defense gets you in a one on one de or 34 olb against your tight end or running back you in deep **** when it comes to giving your qb time to scan the field...

sherman knows this but sometimes you just get a bad matchup...you just hope you don't pay for it...we also got some guys that are indecisive about their assignments...hopefully that will got shored up with more reps etc...

i thought also that mike nolan showed us some things that the first 2 weeks didn't from a pressure package stand point...nolan disguised some of his lb blitzes and db blitzes well and we ran plays right into em pretty much...other times we just failed to handle our assignments...

nolan knows that osi is not a win against a tackle edge pass rusher anymore and he moved him around well by scheme and rush design to get bang for their buck...and impact bang at that...

expect more teams to follow suit if they can't just line up and win against our oline mano a mano

what's alarming is that our damn defensive line is not consistently winning one on one as pass rushers...that's got to change asap...the longer it goes like this the more exposed we will be by good qbs...and the more tape we will put out there for bad teams and qbs to try and mimic

the other thing that this defense is showing is a lot of missed tackles...might be time for a fully padded practice during game week prep...if the new cba allows for such things...

definitely need a fundamentals refresher practice imo with the defense...

I agree and what I am concerned about is that we have to leave a RB in for pass protection on every play or not allow us to run a full offense because we neglected the oline and it is just THAT bad. We may be 3-0 but that can easily be 3-13 if teams start to figure out how to get to Tannehill and we are left back playing conservative Dave Wannstedt type offenses because our guards and tackles keep missing assignments or are being forced out of position due to a TE or RB not cementing a block. We will get eaten alive if that happens.

What happened defensively is still the same crap that has plagued our defenses for years. One game they show up and the next they roll over. I don't get it. Consistency guys. Losing Soliai is big but still doesn't explain the plethora of busted arm tackles and 2nd moves resulting in large pickups for the running backs and certainly doesn't explain why Carroll was playing in super slow motion against Julio Jones yesterday.

I agree and what I am concerned about is that we have to leave a RB in for pass protection on every play or not allow us to run a full offense because we neglected the oline and it is just THAT bad. We may be 3-0 but that can easily be 3-13 if teams start to figure out how to get to Tannehill and we are left back playing conservative Dave Wannstedt type offenses because our guards and tackles keep missing assignments or are being forced out of position due to a TE or RB not cementing a block. We will get eaten alive if that happens.

What happened defensively is still the same crap that has plagued our defenses for years. One game they show up and the next they roll over. I don't get it. Consistency guys. Losing Soliai is big but still doesn't explain the plethora of busted arm tackles and 2nd moves resulting in large pickups for the running backs and certainly doesn't explain why Carroll was playing in super slow motion against Julio Jones yesterday.
Actually the loss of Soliai does explain that in a roundabout way, because without Soliai, the Falcons were able to run the ball much more effectively, which kept our defense on the field a great deal more than usual, which in turn led to fatigue and the things you pointed out that happened later in the game.

Excellent comments....nice post

Actually the loss of Soliai does explain that in a roundabout way, because without Soliai, the Falcons were able to run the ball much more effectively, which kept our defense on the field a great deal more than usual, which in turn led to fatigue and the things you pointed out that happened later in the game.

BS...if Soliai was so important to our defense that caused Nolan Carroll to literally squat while the ball was in the air and the linebackers consistently play out of position and get juked then we need to blow up the defense and start all over. I get the whole idea of how important the d-line is, HOWEVER we are not playing a 3-4 defense where the NT and d-lneman are responsible for oline containment so the LB's can clean up. This is just excuses. D-line penetration is important but I seen Misi, Ellerbe and Wheeler constantly getting their ankles broken from snelling and rodgers cutbacks. TOP is critical but that is why you have adequate dline depth. If we can't get to the qb (was ryan hit even yesterday other than the last play of the game?) with Odrick, starks, etc or at least play straight up gap technique and create containment for the oline without one player, we have much bigger issues as the grind of the season continues.

carroll takes way too much heat on this board...he played pretty damn well considering what he was up against...

Ryan is playing hurt first of all, whih is not good, our oline is in the bottom 20 percent of the league. Plus our skills positions are toast when asked to block. these are things that we can improve on. Sims will come into his own and be fine, but our rbs are horrible at picking up blitzers...I hope ryan can stay healthy...

carroll takes way too much heat on this board...he played pretty damn well considering what he was up against...

Did you not see the ball in the air for what seemed like forever and then see Carroll inexplicably just squat on it and let Julio make catches? I realize what he was up against, an injured Julio Jones who sat out 2 days in practice I believe. However it was just odd to see. I want to see the man go up and challenge the wideout instead of squatting on the play and letting Julio makes every catch thrown his way.

Did you not see the ball in the air for what seemed like forever and then see Carroll inexplicably just squat on it and let Julio make catches? I realize what he was up against, an injured Julio Jones who sat out 2 days in practice I believe. However it was just odd to see. I want to see the man go up and challenge the wideout instead of squatting on the play and letting Julio makes every catch thrown his way.

his awareness isnt great...but its stlll a lot better than julio jones going for almost 200 yards like he did the prior week...we could do a lot worse than nolan carroll on the boundary i can tell ya that

his awareness needs to be better...but its stll a lot better than julio jones going for almost 200 yards like he did the prior week...we could do a lot worse than nolan carroll on the boundary i can tell ya that

I don't disagree. I just want to see our guys being more aggressive. You can't solve everything in one offseason and we are headed in the right direction for sure but Carroll needs to grab his nuts and buck up. He needs to watch some Grimes film.

Back
Top Bottom