So, offense, what happened? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So, offense, what happened?

The other good play was that TD by Hill. We had trips on the left and Hill on the right. The safety had to commit to one side.

Cover and Plug up in between the hash marks and our offense really struggles.
What exactly is this post? Do you have another account where you pretend to be a Fins fan or are you a Fins fan pretending to be a Bills fan?

Yup, also
1 ****ing catch by our running backs

Inexcusable when the defense is playing deep and the linebackers are dropping deep on pass plays
DJ, you were there, weren’t you? Tell us what you saw see that we couldn’t through the broadcast.

Opposing DC's now have the book on this offense and until we start running the ball or throwing outside the hash all they have to do is clog the middle. Every time Tua runs the naked boot there is somebody right there, get away from that nonsense. The OL woes continue, Armstead was a caricature of himself last night, nobody else can move their man enough to get a hole for the RB's. WTF are the TE's

Tyreek's injury is the issue. He was hobbled and that took away most of the motion in the offence.

When he's in motion you can't redirect him so he pushes the safety's back because he's in full gallop. That creates bigger windows in the middle. Makes all our receivers look better.

Tua is playing like crap, but he has an opportunity to once and for all silence the haters. Go into Buffalo on a short week, play in Bad weather and come out on top. I believe this can happen this week. I refuse to dwell on the last 2 games 💪
That would be some thing but I felt we would lose against San Diego and I think will get crushed by buffalo. They better have multiple carts ready for this game it’s not a matter of how we will lose its who we will lose. Hope I’m wrong but I’ve never been so confident of some thing because everything is against them including themselves.

Once again the Tua haters are out in force..if you watch any of the game..sober it was obvious we have a Game plan problem, not a QB problem.
Chargers were sitting in the middle of the field which MD was constantly having Tua throw into blessedly there were no picks as Tua at least realized when they were not there to dive the ball or throw it out. Just plain horrible by our Coach. Barley threw drop downs or screens.

However, the great or so-called Herbert the great threw check downs all night long and barely took any deep shots at all. Also, they rolled Herbert out to avoid pressure. It is not always the QB it's the plays and position a coach puts players in to win.
We aren’t haters. I praise him when he rocks. I criticize when he stinks. He stunk for the 2nd week in a row. Game plan or not. Herbert is a stud. He made smart throws and took what he could. He launched a 55 yard bomb to Williams. Let’s not pretend he Brock Purdied us. He’s legit and a big guy and tough. Tua is a heck of a QB too. But right now he’s playing awful.

It's really quite simple. The LBs are flying out to cover those mid level passes. We saw last night when Tua broke the rush, there was nobody there. That type of defense never works in the NFL because when you do it, the QB scramble kills you and it is very easy to just leak the RB over the middle for 8 yards a pop. We should know that because it happens over and over to our defense against Allen, etc. We need to use those 5 yards just past the LOS. Take those 5-10 yards every play until they have to watch for it and viola those 20 yards over them will be there.

DJ, you were there, weren’t you? Tell us what you saw see that we couldn’t through the broadcast.
Ughh Bras lol

Me no likey, me want sleepy :)

Imo the game was controlled by the skillset of Justin Herbert, he was able to maneuver thru the traffic and pressure very accurately, then deliver accurate strikes of the football..

He dictated the time of possession with hi level decision making, always hitting the hot read when we did break thru with pressure to extend the drive..

There is a whole other level of offense that the niners and chargers uses that is non existent with our scheme..

Why are we not getting the ball to waddle and hill behind the LOS, why are we not using Hill like Deebo was used last year..Why do we have 0 screen game.

Once again, since I noted it in training came, the one bootleg play we ran had the edge running free right when Tua made his pivot, every freakin time this happens and blows the play, every damn time.

Other than that awful play that keeps happening, there was 0 mis direction or boot action.

The pass protection was dreadful, it leaked everywhere from everybody at first glance, I would bet the metrics show it was or worst game..

Tua had little time to throw bottom line and when he did he rushed some throws.

where is the quick slant game ? That seems to of disappeared, how bout a delayed draw play, and like I said is there a screen pass even in the playbook cause I can’t remember the last one..

Bottom line we can’t protect the Qb and we’re not calling plays that can slow down the rush or take advantage of a defense that is philosophically dropping deeper in their sets.

At this point there are two units on offense that are well below average when it comes to catching the football, our tight end group has to be worse in the league in catching and blocking..and our running backs are not getting fed the ball thru the pass game, we know we don’t have anyone on the roster that can catch after the first ten yards…the wheel route by the running back since preseason is like 0 for 5..

We have two great receivers, one of them (waddle) does not have great hands and tends to lose body control on deeper stuff, he’s miss timing his jumps more frequently then I would like to see..

This offense desperately needs the skillset of Ezukama, a physical presence not another finesse one, a player that can catch in traffic in the short stuff and bully the defender.Been saying that since Camp as well..I think we deserve a real answer why this dude can’t see the field.

The defense was at the mercy of Herbert, he played a precise controlled game that displayed athleticism, good judgement and accuracy.

The positives from the game for me was the pass rush, imo Boyer needs to change the way they rush the Qb, they need a more contained pass rush as they break free, there’s a lot of free defenders getting their shots and coming up with air because of the way they are approaching the target, they all are getting juked consistently cause, they need to change that Rush plan philosophically.

The other positive was finally Tua ran the ball when there was green grass in front of them, he can do that a lot if he wants it’s there..

Tua…imo is not clearing the rush by decisively steeping up and clearing the smoke..he’s only throwing on time based on the depth of his drop, basically right now there is very very little improv in his game, and I mean that there aren’t any receivers going off script and neither is he.

If you watch Mahomes or Allen, a lot of time they are hitting their back foot and immediately decisively stepping up to allow the rush to clear which then gives them a clear window to the field and making a throw on the move, we are not seeing much of that at all..

Our coach has shown flaws in his situational play calling..

I’ve seen two instances of third and very short when you know you’re going for it on fourth down and the play call on third is a 7 step drop..

Ridiculous to me because sustaining the drive should have more priority considering your offense is averaging 20 mins a game.

So basically at this point teams are gonna test the arm strength of Tua and see if he can work the perimeter, our coach needs to scheme it up correctly and start to run more plays that take advantage of the defense flooding the middle of the field, and to mitigate quick pressure.

That stadium and its video fluff is the worse from a fans perspective, we are very lucky to have the rock..

I’m not very confident in changing the scheme at this point if the season, I mean if you haven’t worked on the screen game it’s not easy to get all parts on the same page..

I would hope moving forward, we adjust to what the defense is doing to us now

I would hope Tua sees his success of running the ball on his own accord and does it more..good slides las nite and I would hope Boyer changes the way our players are approaching the Qb, he’s getting these players free runs and they are not finishing.

Last edited:
Our offense was a gimmick. We did something well (throwing over the middle) that is dangerous so a lot of teams don’t do it nearly as much as we did. We were so successful at that that we ignored development of our run game, screen game, and outside passing game. Now defenses have figured out a way to take away our bread and butter, we don’t have the obvious answers to make them pay for doing that and our quarterback gets discouraged too easily and loses all confidence in everything else when the thing he does best doesn’t work.
I dont think our offense is a gimmick. Like everyone is saying here, McD just really needs to learn how to adjust. The plays are there. On the last drive when Tua threw to waddle on 3rd down, he had mostert open in the flat for the first and out of bounds, but Tua didn't even look at him. So between coach and his lack of adjusting the playcalling, and Tua following suit mainly looking for the big play, we end up with what we are seeing. Honestly it's an easy adjustment to make, we just have to make it

Once again the Tua haters are out in force..if you watch any of the game..sober it was obvious we have a Game plan problem, not a QB problem.
Chargers were sitting in the middle of the field which MD was constantly having Tua throw into blessedly there were no picks as Tua at least realized when they were not there to dive the ball or throw it out. Just plain horrible by our Coach. Barley threw drop downs or screens.

However, the great or so-called Herbert the great threw check downs all night long and barely took any deep shots at all. Also, they rolled Herbert out to avoid pressure. It is not always the QB it's the plays and position a coach puts players in to win.
This is exactly correct. What we saw last night was a Chargers coaching staff that ate our staff’s lunch, on both offense and defense.

Every time we blitzed on defense, Herbert went directly to an uncovered receiver. He didn’t bother challenging down the field outside of a handful of plays. He didn’t need to, because we were giving him uncovered outlets all night. The Chargers were obviously concerned about our pressure getting to Herbert, so they game-planned to get the ball out quickly. Hmmm….seems like something McDaniel could have planned last week, given the injuries all over our offensive line.

On offense, it was clear as day that the Chargers were grabbing and bumping to slow our receivers’ routes, and packing the middle of the field. Yet, we did nothing to adjust. We have a staff that doesn’t seem to anticipate anything. It seems like our philosophy is “we’re going to run our offense, let’s see if you can stop it.”. And it doesn’t even matter if our starting offensive line is decimated or our starting QB is out.

Back
Top Bottom