So What Is Your Overall Grade For The Fins Draft? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So What Is Your Overall Grade For The Fins Draft?

I'd say a B-. I was hoping for Maurice Hurst or Harrison Phillips. I kind of wanted Derwin James over Minkah but hopefully I'm wrong about that. I was also disappointed that we didn't get Fred Warner and ended up w/ Jerome Baker. That said, I think there could be a method to the madness and that it could turn out well. I'm cautiously optimistic.
I'm giving it an A-

IMHO, they hit it out of the park with the first two picks. Absolutely perfect to stay at those spots and pick those two players, who will redefine our defense and offense. LOVE the picks of Minkah Fitzpatrick (finally a FS!) and Mike Gesicki (finally a complete threat TE!). Those are the two of the three things I have been screaming for literally years, with the third being a good OL. I felt like a broken record. Now, this offseason, we bring in Josh Sitton for the OL, draft Fitz as a ballhawking and organizing FS/NB combo, and add 'Sick as a TE who is a size mismatch in the red zone and a speed mismatch on seam routes. All three of those guys are natural leaders and complete studs at exactly where we needed help.

I'm floored at how well we did in rounds 1 and 2. Completely perfect.

The rest of the draft is fine, not horrible like many Dolphins drafts, and I like the overarching themes, but not awesome. Like you, I was hoping to snag Maurice Hurst in the 3rd or 4th. Also, I was hoping to get DT Andrew Brown of UVA in the 4th. Both of those guys fit us perfectly and offer phenomenal upside ... and both were available in the 4th. IMHO, our DT position is still lacking.

I like the addition of Smythe, who seems like a decent blocking TE with some talent as a pass catching TE and good size and frame. He offers some upside. But, I would have preferred one of those DT's. Jerome Baker, to me, is more of a project, but I understand that they view him as a raw version of Roquan Smith and that type of speed was not going to last long if they waited. Not my favorite LB choice, but it's OK. Kinda like Baker, I'm not too sold on Kalen Ballage, but he's a big 6'2 and 230 pound RB who runs in the 4.4's, so they're betting on upside. He's a 3rd down back who probably is an upgrade over Damien Williams. But, at his size, I was hoping for a more physical runner who could break tackles and grind out some extra yards. He isn't that guy, and he's not going to punish defenses and make LB's and DB's wear down in the 4th quarter ... and I want that. It's sorely missing since we jettisoned the very talented Jay Ajayi.

Cornell Armstrong is another great name for what may be our best ever name-draft. But, I don't really know the guy's game to evaluate properly. Quentin Poling, to me, seems to offer similar things to Jerome Baker--although at a much lower level of competition--but in round 7 that seems like it is pretty decent value even just for special teams. And, we drafted a kicker. I don't really know him, but our special teams coach seems to have a history of finding guys he can get good seasons out of, so it's probably a decent pick ... I just don't know him to evaluate him.

So at the end of the day, from rounds 3 to 7 I would give our draft a C+, but rounds 1 and 2 are emphatic A+, so my overall grade is an A-. At the end of the day, if we hit on Fitz and Sick, this draft will be rated as an A+ and the rest will just be gravy.

I'm going to give this a solid B. Really thrilled with the first three picks.

Fitzpatrick should add a dimension to the secondary that we haven't had in a long time. He is a long, rangy safety who brings big play ability and great instincts to the table.

Gesicki is phenomenal. Say what you will, but imo he was a better player than Barkley who had a tendency to disappear in big games. Gesicki never did. He a matching nightmare and he's smart. Love this guy.

Baker is a playmaker. Always around the ball. Very fast. Very instinctual. Very good. His only drawback is his size.

I'm also intrigued by the running back, Ballage. Very good size and fast. Work a look.

Only reason I'm not giving this is an A is because I feel we left some decent DT talent on the board to take a second TE. Not thrilled but also not overly upset. All in all, encouraging direction.

My dream pick was Minkah and somehow he fell to us and that is an A+ pick to me. Feel the same about Gesiki round 2.

I like that we waited until round 3 for a 4-3 OLB because that’s where they should be drafted and he fits a great need and has the right skill set. “A” pick to me.

We nailed round 1-3.

Big fan of the Norte Dame TE and Bellage was a guy I was confident we would Have interest in as his skill set is perfect for Gases offense. Both great picks to me andexcellent compliments to Gesiki and Drake.

The late round guys I must admit I don’t know much about (other than the corner who is a nice fit for us) so I can’t comment really on that.

I like that we did not take a DT after day 2 because those guy generally take time to adapt to the NFL game and we need guys now. Which is why I think we will pick up 2 average run stuffing veterans after some camp cuts and have a nice rotation in there.

Also, tBUM was kept at bay which is an automatic win.

Overall we had a plan and a vision for what types of players we wanted and we executed it. Props to Grier and his dad.

I love what we did. Home run to me.

I give the idea/vision to the draft an “A-“. Let’s see how they pan out.

Last edited:
B+

1- Minkah is an A+ pick
2- gesicki is also a great pick, not a complete tight end but you could give this pick an A for the receiving ability
3- Baker ... meh? C- probably viewed as kiko’s eventual replacement, probably should be decent in coverage but bad vs the run and poor iq
4- Smyth - B .. very solid blocking tight end. Not a receiving threat but can catch some passes.
4- Ballage- B- .. decent depth option, has some questions. Would’ve preferred John Kelly

After that it goes down hill fast imo
(But I can’t say i know anything of these players)

6- Armstrong - D
6- Poling - D
7- Sanders C/D

There were some good players left of the board in the late 4th and 5th round. I wouldve preferred to trade back and pick up Kelly at rb, Settle at dt, and tried to get Avery at lb. Then keep whatever / latest 7th to get Pineiro instead of this kicker (granted know next to nothing of these guys we got)

That draft would’ve been much better for Day 3 in my opinion

Don't forget we also used picks on Stephone Anthony and Robert Quinn. One a top 50 playerin his respected draft class and the other a proven pass rusher.

Back
Top Bottom