So What Is Your Overall Grade For The Fins Draft? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So What Is Your Overall Grade For The Fins Draft?

It really depends on how you look at it. If you were expecting complete players you’ll probably be a little disappointed. However if you look at it through the situational football perspective it’s a really good draft.

Fitz top 5 talent who likely will become a leader and will help transform or defense. Sabin absolutely loved him due to his work ethic and personality. He has a drive to be great and will dramatically improve the play of those around him. Not to forget that he was the first Thorpe and Bednarik award winner in the same season since Charles Woodson! He may, however, be the only 3 down player drafted. A+

Gesicki is by far the most dynamic TE we’ve had since Keith Jackson. He is a mismatch nightmare and the red zone threat we desperately needed. 4.54 forty and 41 inch vertical from a former basketball and volleyball player? Get out of here! So what if he isn’t an accomplished blocker. With his size and strength, that can be developed. If it doesn’t happen, so what, there’s a backup plan further down the list. A

Baker was reported to run a sub 4.4 forty at his proday. He excels at man coverage and was matched up again Saquan Barkley among others. He did give up 6 TDs in 2 years but I’d need to research why. Was it man or zone coverage? Did the qb or receiver make a great play or did he blow the coverage. Regardless, we need to get Kiko off the field on passing downs and this is why he was selected. Don’t worry about his run support as he will not be a 3 down player, which is most likely why some don’t like the pick. Again, this is situational football where we’ll have packages for the front 7 and quite possible have very few, if any, 3 down players there. It will be nice if for once if we don’t see TEs constantly running wide open over the middle of the field. B+

Smythe is our blocking TE plain and simple. He comes in on running downs and goal line exclusively. He’s very stiff and doesn’t run routes very well but has good hands. Some may have wanted a dt, like me, but this is a role vacated by Fasanonthat needed to be addressed. B

Ballage was a mystery to me at ASU, of which I watch a lot of their games being from AZ. I never understood why he didn’t see the field very much. His vision is average at best, but his speed and cuts are extremely smooth. He most likely isn’t going to ever become a starter but we needed to fill the void of 3rd down back left by the departure of Damien Williams. Make no mistake, ballage is an enormous upgrade. He catches the ball extremely well and is a nightmare in space. He also most likely will return kicks. B

I honestly don’t know much about the final three picks other than Armstrong has speed and may be a special team flyer. Boling is supposedly strong at run support and our kicker, while having a down year, is reportedly good on onside kicks. McCray is a player and if you include him it raised the collective grade a little to a C+

Overall if you look at it from the perspective of situational football I give this draft a B+. However it raises to a solid A when you factor in Quinn and Anthony were essentially 4th and 5th round picks this year.

B+ probably

I was hoping we would take a chance on Hurst in round 4.

I also was hoping we would find a trade partner for McDonald & maybe ship off Carroo to Dallas who are WR needy.

Yeah i wanted them to grab Hurst too, just too much value to keep passing on him. The draft as a whole was solid but definitely seems a little top heavy.

They get a solid A for not totally screwing it up. There wasn't a complete tight end available, so I would have preferred going elsewhere rather than take two that compliment each other. I still think we will need one. I was always a fan of Fasano so I don't think decent tight ends are that hard to find. Not sure we have replaced Suh, would have preferred a defender over two tight ends.

A-

We covered most of our needs and got really good players in rounds 1 and 2. Like, potential game changers that we haven't had in years at those positions.

Still wanted to come away with a young developmental prospect at QB. But it is what it is.

I'm not worried about the lack of a DT cause I'm sure we'll be adding a veteran at the position before the season starts.

B for me after reading all the posts and having some time to review what other teams accomplished.
While I give the kudoes for the team for filling needs in this years draft and last.years draft. I believe like our front office could improve in trading throughout the draft process and free agency.
I am a firm believer there are good great players in every round.
Hindsight is 20 20 but starting in round 3 I would have considered trades to grab more picks in that 4th thru 6th round area. I certainly do not agree with the views mentioned on this forum that the players taken in these rounds are special team guys. Every pick should be a on field contributor first and be willing to play special teams also. Plus consider now that kickoffs have been moved specials are not what they were.
The 2nd tight end was a 5 th round pick imo and the cb in the 6th was a 7th rounder. Looking teams like New England making 5 trades in this years draft and already have 12 picks in next years year's I am certainly not buying any arguments that we did not have any opportunities to trade our staff is inferior and thats huge reason we cannot win the division.

on paper it look like good draft B... I didn't like 3rd pick it should of been qb mason. but they had two good 4th rd pick as well...it look like we will have 4 to 6 new team member from draft.

I'm a Noles fan and can say that Derwin was a special player. He didn't have eye popping numbers but it was because opposing teams made a conscious effort to stay away from him. I felt like whoever James was covering or whichever side of the field he was on the ball went the other way.

That being said he still made alot of spectacular plays. Dude could ball. He was a big time hitter in the box but also played with that finesse, smoothness you want to see in a DB. He was sneaky fast. Didn't even seem like he was running fast but he would cover some ground. Great instincts seemed to diagnose plays well.

I do wish we grabbed him for some reason it seemed like we picked the 2nd best safety there and then followed it up with a TE who was second best available IMO

I don't deny that James was a great college player that might also be a good or great NFL player. And I get that as a Noles fan you are more likely to prefer him over anybody, but I still ask the same question: What has he shown or accomplished to this point in time that separates him from Minkah Fitzpatrick?

I'm not saying that James can't or won't be a better pro than Minkah. Anything is possible. But based upon what they've shown from high school and through college and including all the mensurables, I don't see the argument for James clearly being a better prospect. At best, it's even IMO but Minkah has proven to be a leader at the highest level of college football and a complete gym rat always focused on learning and getting better. For that reason, I think he had an edge on James. Just my humble opinion.

Back
Top Bottom