So What Is Your Overall Grade For The Fins Draft? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So What Is Your Overall Grade For The Fins Draft?

Some of the Dolphins problems going into the off-season were addressed with this rookie class.

1. Did not have the personnel to cover TE's. (Addressed-Minkah, Baker, McMillan)
2. Did not have the TE's create mismatches and attack down field. (Addressed-Gesicki, Smythe)
3. Defense lacked speed and could not wrap up/tackle. (Addressed- Minkah, Baker, Poling, McMillan)
4. Defense could not force turnovers, especially interceptions. (Addressed-Minkah, Baker, Armstrong)
5. Offense could not pick up tough yards on 3rd and short, especially on the ground (Addressed-Ballage, Gesicki, Smythe)
6. No back-up or change-of-pace back. (Addressed-Ballage)
7. Need strong leg kicker (Addressed-Sanders)

*** I considered Raekwon McMillan into this years draft grade since he has not played a single down of an NFL game (in other words, he's still a rookie). Grier had to factor him into the equation "as a new player" when making his selections,. At any rate, with or without him grade does not change.

*** I did not consider the UDFA's since they are usually long shots to make the 53 man roster.

There were no wasted picks in my opinion.

FINAL GRADE: B+....... In the end, UDFA's could push grade to A.

NFL.com ranked Mike Gesicki 5.92
Hayden Hurst 5.90
Dallas Goedert 5.87.

Mayock had them Hurst
Gesicki
Goedert

So even if you personally preferred Goedert at pick 9 in the 2nd round, he wasn't the 2nd best tight end available to us when we picked (based on the above rankings, and many many others).

First draft in memory where the Dolphins did exactly what I would have hoped in the early rounds. No reaching, no WTF moments (maybe Smythe). Overall, very happy with Minkah and Gesicki. I’m warming to Baker. I don’t think it was necessary to take Smythe at that spot, but I understand the move.

Grade? Rounds 1-2....A+.

Rounds 3-7....B-.

First 3 picks = A-
Final 5 picks =D+

Management started strong but reverted back to drafting guys who won't make the team other than the kicker. I'd trust 90% of the folks on this board to pick better than these "professional" evaluators. They continue to dig their own graves. Their was some really good platters sitting there in the Final 4 rounds.

I give it a B

I think we hit on a real deal level of talent early in Minkah and Gesicki. I think those were home run picks and will both have immediate impacts.

I think Baker and Ballage are both very nice prospects, and they both project to a need that we really struggled with last year (Baker covering TE/RB from LB spot and bringing speed, Ballage on 3rd and 1-2's). There were some other linebackers I liked and I think the staff may be kicking themselves for not using one of those 6ths to go up for Warner. I think that's the guy they wanted. Baker has a history with Raekwon and will probably not be asked to play too much other than special teams his rookie year while he bulks up. I'm assuming we'll use this year to experiment with TJ and see where he fits best, which I'm assuming is going to be in a nickel/hybrid linebacker role which will end up being our base anyway.

It is also cool to see us go out and get a running back in Ballage that Studesville has history with and has known for a while. For Ballage it has always been viewed as an attitude that has held him back, maybe this will be the setting that gets him to turn it around. With that size and speed it is well worth the pick when the prior knowledge is factored in.

Durham Smythe sounds like a guy who is going to become a fan favorite and a reliable guy, and if getting him solves that position for us for 10 years, then it is well worth the pick. Him and Gesicki seem to compliment each other well and both buy into their respective roles. I'm psyched about the tight end position for us, and I don't know the last time I could say that. Marquise Gray is still on the roster as well, and we signed Escobar.

I honestly don't know much about Cornell Armstrong, Quentin Poling, or Jason Sanders (or Greg Joseph).

The 2 position players will likely have a redshirt year, as we have guys like Lippett and McMillan coming back from injuries.

And at this point I trust Rizzi enough to make sure our kicking game is not a deficiency come opening day.

The reason I went B is because I think we missed out on a couple areas. I think we should've taken a DT instead of Armstrong, and I am a little surprised that we didnt take a QB (even a late prospect in the 7th like Quinton Flowers).

Also I didn't feel like I could give it an A when we didn't make a single trade. Once Warner went I thought we should've looked into moving down, and could have maybe benefited from an extra pick.

Overall I thought we did a good job though, and I'm excited to see them go back to work. This year is going to tell us a lot about the future direction of this team.

We killed the draft...A+

Minkah fell in our lap. I haven't felt so sure of a can't miss prospect since Jake Long.

I wanted Gesicki all through the process. Ever since one of our members drew up the Mike Evans comparisons. 6'6", 247. 4.54 forty and a ridiculously functional 41 1/2 inch vertical. He's the best red zone weapon in the draft, imo.

Baker wasn't even on my radar, but super fast with great pedigree. He shadowed Saquon and shut him down from the few plays I saw. Excellent in coverage. Rumored to be much faster, like 4.37 fast. Led Ohio St. in tackles last year.

Ballage is perfect compliment to Drake. Both can catch and block, too.
Runs really well through trash. People knock his vision, but I saw a nice burst and then some surprisingly patient runs.

We didn't just add speed, a lot of people love our draft and the overall vision.

This is the third sound draft in a row.

I'm just happy we finally decided to fix problems I've been watching year after year. No TE mismatches of our own and not stopping opposing te. It's been so freaking obvious for years and yet some how they never seem to attempt to fix it

Definitely one of the smarter drafts we'e had.

Getting Minkah was huge to our overall scheme. Adding an elite prospect to our secondary was huge; allowing us to be more dynamic and finally giving us someone to cover the back end, as well as matchup on tight ends who have been our kryptonite. Watch Reshad and Tj really benefit from this guy, they are going to be a force with having someone assignment sound and uber-talented behind them.

Then getting basically jimmy graham 2.0 to finally give Tannehill a weapon down the seam and in the redzone for yet another great pick in the 2nd. This guy should be a monster for us, we have so many options to pair with Gesicki that overall this offense is truely a team oriented style where everyone compliments each other. Teams wont be able to key in on 1 guy with the offense we have now.

Baker then symbolises the ideological shift to faster coverage linebackers for our soft interior zones and man coverage of backs or blitzes. Sideline to sideline or rushing through to sack the qb or stop the run, this guy looks like a bullet to put in and make a play or cause hesitation. There will be a lesser margin of error for opposing teams with speed linebackers roaming the field.

Durham Smythe balances out the offense with his great blocking ability and yet again gives us more opportunity to have a fluid scheme week in and week out. Playing a team with great corners this week? Ok time to deploy 2-3 TE sets with a heavy run, play action style. Teams doubling Gesicki? Ok well this guy is 6'5 250+ and can pick up the 1st down or score the 4yrd goaline catch as well. Love this pick not only for the player, but the vision of our staff to recognize this fully.

Ballange then comes in to work with a coach who's followed his whole career, and gets to soak up how to be a pro by a potential HoF in Gore. Speed and power with this guy, and he can catch and pick up chunk yardage on any play. I really like those 3 backs, plus we still have Perry who is solid as well.

From there the draft took me off guard, couldn't believe we didn't draft a DT at all. I mocked Vea all the way to this point and have been adamant about the importance of getting another player in the mix, but the FO apparently disagreed.

Armstrong and Poling filled out the back end of our secondary and linebacker units. Don't know much about either one but I hope to see them challenge players like Hull and Lucas for spots.

Sanders was a must, hand picked by Rizzi who I trust so we'll see.

Then getting Quinn for a 4th was masterful. Yes he costs some coin but thats what proven passrushers command.

Stephone Anthony is going to surprise, for a 5th was well worth it.

Overall, extremely pleased with this draft, now go find a DT.

Overall I see a real method to the madness. Each pick seems to have been made with a select purpose in mind. However we missed out on DT a QB depth. We'll see if not making those picks comes back to haunt us.

Not sure about giving grades at this point. I just cant wait to see what we really have this fall!

I'm giving it an A. In my opinion, this is the best draft we've had in years, we've filled a lot of needs and we got a player I never thought was going to fall to us. Getting Minkah with the 11th pick was a dream pick for me, I was convinced he was going in at least the top 10.

I hope I am wrong.

1. Minkah was a very solid selection. Just a really good football player. - A
2. Mike Gesicki - Jumps through the roof - Great combine #'s. Made a lot of plays at Penn St. He doesn't get in and out of his breaks really quickly and he doesn't play quite as fast as he times. He is a horrible blocker. Plays with no leverage. I hope he can improve. I understand the logic of the pick but I was not a fan at 42. - C-
3. Jerome Baker - we need a fast linebacker - and we got one. He just does not play physical. I watched a lot of tape, and he just doesn't seem to like contact. If he will wack people, he can be a nice player. I don't see it. - D
4. Durham Smythe - Perfect compliment to Gesicki. Really good blocker - nice hands. Good Pick. - B+
4. Kalen Ballage - great numbers - thats it. I can see why he didn't start at Arizona St. Special Teams? - D-.
6. Cornell Armstrong - watched a couple of plays - but can't tell anything. ( I really liked his teammate Tarvarius Moore - who Niners took in 3rd) - No grade
7. Quentin Poling - Watched a couple of games and he looks like he has something. Moves well and makes plays. B
7. We need a kicker

Overall C-. I have been wrong before - plenty of times. (Just like Grier and Tannenbaum)

Back
Top Bottom