Staley to meet with Miami | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Staley to meet with Miami

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but in general, I believe that both Offensive and Defensive Coordinators get too much credit... and too much blame over how their charges perform.

A team full of great players will generally perform well, and lousy ones, not.

So when people point to how a team rated statistically, I think it has a lot less to do with the coordinator than it does with the talent (and health) of the players.

I believe that what is most important is whether a coaching staff, players, and front office is on the same page.
I think the exact opposite.

Football, more than any other sport, is driven by how well the coaches put the players in a position to succeed.

If the defensive coordinator dials up the perfect CB blitz against a slow developing offensive play, it doesn’t matter if it’s Brandon Jones blitzing (who’s great at it) or a CB who is just okay at it - he’s getting to the QB.

Of course the quality of the players matter, but scheme and playcalling is so important.

That’s why all of you bitch about Olivadetti (before my time) up and down.

That’s why I think our biggest culprit for falling short this season (other than injuries) was MM offensive playcalling and our inability to adjust.

It also doesn’t make sense that we can score 70 against the Broncos but only 7 against KC… so you’re of the belief that the KC defensive players are 10x better? Of course not.

The talent level is typically so close in the NFL. Front office is more important here than in any other sport. And the more players on the field at the same time, the less the impact individual talent is.

That’s why Dan Marino can play a career without really coming very close to a championship and why Michael Jordan won it every year.

I'm not saying he's perfect. Andy Reid isn't either. When you have a guy who exceeds expectations to the extent McDaniel has, you live with the minor frustrations - even when they show up at important times.

There are only a handful of playcallers who can achieve what McDaniel did with this collection of players. Expecting to upgrade on that is unrealistic.
But we need to upgrade the HC decisions. His doing both is too much to juggle IMO

I think the exact opposite.

Football, more than any other sport, is driven by how well the coaches put the players in a position to succeed.

If the defensive coordinator dials up the perfect CB blitz against a slow developing offensive play, it doesn’t matter if it’s Brandon Jones blitzing (who’s great at it) or a CB who is just okay at it - he’s getting to the QB.

Of course the quality of the players matter, but scheme and playcalling is so important.

That’s why all of you bitch about Olivadetti (before my time) up and down.

That’s why I think our biggest culprit for falling short this season (other than injuries) was MM offensive playcalling and our inability to adjust.

It also doesn’t make sense that we can score 70 against the Broncos but only 7 against KC… so you’re of the belief that the KC defensive players are 10x better? Of course not.

The talent level is typically so close in the NFL. Front office is more important here than in any other sport. And the more players on the field at the same time, the less the impact individual talent is.

That’s why Dan Marino can play a career without really coming very close to a championship and why Michael Jordan won it every year.
I think the athletes on the field matter just as much. It’s why BB can’t win without Brady - and never could. Or those Olividotti teams we complain about - you’re right but during those years the common theme on our D was they were slow. So even if Tom had a good plan, we couldn’t execute it with the guys we had.

You make a ton of great points and I agree that coaching schema matters more in football than any of the other big sports by a mile. I just don’t think great coaching can overcome poor talent on a consistent basis.

I think the athletes on the field matter just as much. It’s why BB can’t win without Brady - and never could. Or those Olividotti teams we complain about - you’re right but during those years the common theme on our D was they were slow. So even if Tom had a good plan, we couldn’t execute it with the guys we had.

You make a ton of great points and I agree that coaching schema matters more in football than any of the other big sports by a mile. I just don’t think great coaching can overcome poor talent on a consistent basis.
You gotta have the horses, as they say.

But the reason we lost to KC 26-7 wasn’t because they are almost 4x better than us… our defense, ravaged by injuries, held their O to 16 or 19 points… how? Scheme and playcalling.

Our offense, although OL ravaged by injuries too, managed only 7 points… I’m not putting that on the players when we saw throughout the year this consistently happen against good defenses… that’s teams scheming to our O and us not adjusting.

Players are important but I would say coaching is just as important if not more specifically in NFL football.

Also would explain how a Charger team stacked with talent for years was able to consistently underachieve… coaching.

I don't know much about his defensive prowess but at least many on here approve

His play creation is fine, his usage of those plays situationally is seriously in question. When you need 1 yard and you continually throw the ball it's a problem. When you are in the red zone on the 5 and you throw a fade it's a problem. When you consistently throw back field screens, it's a problem. Sure injuries can change the course a game and it's plan, but game after game adjustments haven't been made and the same mistakes are being made over and over again. It doesn't take 3 years to figure out you need to get a 2 motion run in before the clock is at 7s.

McDaniel has demonstrated again that he cannot handle BOTH the play calling and overall head coaching. The fact he left Chubb in in garbage time whom got injured for it and then owned the call because he couldn't get the call in to remove him is a prime example. There are many many many examples of this. The abysmal record of challenges is another. If this continues he will be another in the wastebasket of was good at X but not as HC. Which is very appropriate for whom this thread is about.
Definitely McDaniel's call on Chubbs

Back
Top Bottom