Staley to meet with Miami | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Staley to meet with Miami

I think it’s worth the growing pains to have McDaniel to continue to call plays. I’ve no use for a CEO head coach.
We’ll see. He’s not going to give up play calling anyway - at least I can’t see it. But he has to find a way to make faster decison
Truth be told if McDaniel gives up play calling I’ll have no use for him and I’ll get on the fire McDaniel bandwagon. I strongly believe in finding a HC coach who calls the plays on offense.
I think you’re right about this. I’m not sure what value he’d bring otherwise. So we have to hope he continues to grow at it.

PS - I have no idea how I quoted both replies. User error

I wouldnt mind Staley as our DC, he has a history with Ramsey and he was the DC of the Rams when they had the number 1 defense back in 2020.

My opinion is coach overthinks himself way too much!
You can tell by the overuse of the word “Um” in his press conferences, I know he’s not stupid cause he went to Yale, and the overuse of certain words means he’s a thinker!

(Is “Um” even a word??
I went to UCLA….University College on Lexington Avenue Ha!
they didn’t teach that!)

Flores and Boyer in 2020 had only top 10 defense in past 10 years in points allowed.

Flores’ Vikings defense ranked 12th this season while Miami ranked 22nd.

Just saying… be careful what you wish for. We’ve trashed two highly regarded DCs out the door from the organization.

We’re not getting through the AFC playoffs until the defense gets better imo. Scary when you think Ravens, KC, 49rs, and Bills are top 4.

Our offensive stats prove your statement is incorrect.

Stats are, have and will forevermore be misleading.

Were you not watching, brother? How many times did McDaniel go pass on 1st, pass on 2nd and pass on 3rd when we were moving the chains on the ground? If you didn't see it, you weren't watching because this happened a lot more times than you can ask yourself, "Did he just go away from the running game again or do I need to slow the drinking down?"

How about all the pass plays from within the 10 when Mostert basically always falls forward for a couple?

And the screens? Jesus Christ, the screens when Joe shmo armchair QB at home knows its coming because he did the same f@cking thing the week prior.

McDaniel IS A HUGE PART IF NOT THE REASON for our dangerous offense but he clearly cannot manage (game-clock, red flag, timeouts, adjust etc) AND call all the plays AND be successful.

The drop by Hill that everyone swore was a catch that resulted in a 1st down when the game was on the line; if I'm at home- a nobody like me half in the bag due to booze- if I'm at home YELLING RUN TO THE LINE & SNAP THE BALL the head motherf@cking coach should be beating me to that instruction. He can't because his head is not in the moment. It's in the next play-call.

I mentioned adjustments above. McDaniel did not seem to EVER have an answer in the 2nd half when we were struggling in the 1st. If it's going badly in the 1st half, he should already be working on adjustments with 5 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. But he can't do that AND be a head coach AND call plays down by down.

McDaniel doesn't have to give up play-calling altogether. Let him sprinkle in his 2 cents here & there. Also, let him be the engineer of the offense. But for the love of God, hire an OC that can collaborate with McD to make McD's job a bit easier & allow him to be more of a game manager.

Flores and Boyer in 2020 had only top 10 defense in past 10 years in points allowed.

Flores’ Vikings defense ranked 12th this season while Miami ranked 22nd.

Just saying… be careful what you wish for. We’ve trashed two highly regarded DCs out the door from the organization.

We’re not getting through the AFC playoffs until the defense gets better imo. Scary when you think Ravens, KC, 49rs, and Bills are top 4.
Lol, defending Flores? Srs?

Stats are, have and will forevermore be misleading.

Were you not watching, brother? How many times did McDaniel go pass on 1st, pass on 2nd and pass on 3rd when we were moving the chains on the ground? If you didn't see it, you weren't watching because this happened a lot more times than you can ask yourself, "Did he just go away from the running game again or do I need to slow the drinking down?"

How about all the pass plays from within the 10 when Mostert basically always falls forward for a couple?

And the screens? Jesus Christ, the screens when Joe shmo armchair QB at home knows its coming because he did the same f@cking thing the week prior.

McDaniel IS A HUGE PART IF NOT THE REASON for our dangerous offense but he clearly cannot manage (game-clock, red flag, timeouts, adjust etc) AND call all the plays AND be successful.

The drop by Hill that everyone swore was a catch that resulted in a 1st down when the game was on the line; if I'm at home- a nobody like me half in the bag due to booze- if I'm at home YELLING RUN TO THE LINE & SNAP THE BALL the head motherf@cking coach should be beating me to that instruction. He can't because his head is not in the moment. It's in the next play-call.

I mentioned adjustments above. McDaniel did not seem to EVER have an answer in the 2nd half when we were struggling in the 1st. If it's going badly in the 1st half, he should already be working on adjustments with 5 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. But he can't do that AND be a head coach AND call plays down by down.

McDaniel doesn't have to give up play-calling altogether. Let him sprinkle in his 2 cents here & there. Also, let him be the engineer of the offense. But for the love of God, hire an OC that can collaborate with McD to make McD's job a bit easier & allow him to be more of a game manager.

Agree completely. First, Mcd has proven to be a quite good OC under certain circumstances. His scripted plays to start a game are good. The O hums along well until the D adjusts and/or it's 2H and the score is close and/or Miami is behind. He's proven he can call plays. And he improved in '23. In '22 LOTS of motion. In '23 there was still motion, but not motion, stop, motion, stop, motion, snap.
OTOH, he seems addicted to intermediate routes and has been sexually molested by routes under 10 yds - avoids them at all costs. The only scheme was timed patterns. The D took that away and the O was dead. Rubs, slants, seem routes, RBs leaking across the LOS (I'll not continue) . . . so many plays not in the play book. Won't target a 3rd string CB. On those screens or sweeps to TH, I told my wife frequently, 'look at the D. 4-5 guys within 5-10 yds of the RB or TH. HAS to be someone open.'
Those are things that hurt - football 101 stuff. Mistakes no one here on FH would make game 1. And, again, play calling was good until stress raised it's head. I'd like a new OC to teach Mcd play-calling. Fans have seen he can do it. He just needs to sit back and learn for a year. Learn not to overthink.
OK, enough. Back to DC. I'm a fan of Staley, but I'm a fan of 2-3 potential DCs. My criteria > Experienced, successful, doesn't require a complete D overhaul. Someone who can have enough influence on Mcd to say 'dude, the D is doing A. You need to adjust to B.' Either VF didn't do that or Mcd ignored it.

My opinion is coach overthinks himself way too much!
You can tell by the overuse of the word “Um” in his press conferences, I know he’s not stupid cause he went to Yale, and the overuse of certain words means he’s a thinker!

(Is “Um” even a word??
I went to UCLA….University College on Lexington Avenue Ha!
they didn’t teach that!)
Umm Mustard and biscuits

Back
Top Bottom