Staley to meet with Miami | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Staley to meet with Miami

But we need to upgrade the HC decisions. His doing both is too much to juggle IMO

I think it’s worth the growing pains to have McDaniel to continue to call plays. I’ve no use for a CEO head coach.

I think it’s worth the growing pains to have McDaniel to continue to call plays. I’ve no use for a CEO head coach.
We’ll see. He’s not going to give up play calling anyway - at least I can’t see it. But he has to find a way to make faster decisions, play calls and get better at challenges.

We’ll see. He’s not going to give up play calling anyway - at least I can’t see it. But he has to find a way to make faster decisions, play calls and get better at challenges.
The folks that think McD will give up calling plays really don’t have a clue as to what makes this guy tick. He and his kind including Kyle Shahanhan, Matt LaFleur and Sean McVay are literally defined by their “O guru” status and CALLING PLAYS is absolutely essential to their functionality! Ain’t no focking way McD gives up play calling. Absolutely will NEVER happen!

Now I’m not saying he’s in the same class as those others from the same tree, BUT that’s his CORE identity and he’d sooner not be HC than lose that essential function. He’s got way too much invested in being “brilliant” and “innovative” to suffer that indignity.

True Story!

BNF

The folks that think McD will give up calling plays really don’t have a clue as to what makes this guy tick. He and his kind including Kyle Shahanhan, Matt LaFleur and Sean McVay are literally defined by their “O guru” status and CALLING PLAYS is absolutely essential to their functionality! Ain’t no focking way McD gives up play calling. Absolutely will NEVER happen!

Now I’m not saying he’s in the same class as those others from the same tree, BUT that’s his CORE identity and he’d sooner not be HC than lose that essential function. He’s got way too much invested in being “brilliant” and “innovative” to suffer that indignity.

True Story!

BNF

Truth be told if McDaniel gives up play calling I’ll have no use for him and I’ll get on the fire McDaniel bandwagon. I strongly believe in finding a HC coach who calls the plays on offense.

Truth be told if McDaniel gives up play calling I’ll have no use for him and I’ll get on the fire McDaniel bandwagon. I strongly believe in finding a HC coach who calls the plays on offense.
Of course this is correct. That's HIS ROLE and theoretically his value. Take that away and he's like a plucked chicken running around the barnyard!

NOT a pretty sight!

:oops:

True Story!

BNF
Then he can be the offensive coordinator. Either that or he will give up most of the head coaching responsibilities to the assistant coach, Jon Embree. He's also our TE coach, so he doesn't have much to do anyways.

Then he can be the offensive coordinator. Either that or he will give up most of the head coaching responsibilities to the assistant coach, Jon Embree. He's also our TE coach, so he doesn't have much to do anyways.
Point is... the template is already established via the Shahanhan, LaFleur, McVay regimes. They handle the OC play calling and overall O design. Their presence makes THAT the constant in your coaching structure. Thus the “HC” is 100% responsible for solving the O riddle and relies heavily on his DC / staff to handle that side of the ball.

Now of course if the dude serving as HC can also contribute some direction on the D side, great. But his primary responsibility is the O. Key is to build a strong O system and maintain it. It’s a LOT easier to ramp up a D in short order to a winning level than build an O system etc. I think that’s the idea behind the concept.

He is bad at play calling either he gives it up or will not be a head coach anymore.

He is bad at play calling either he gives it up or will not be a head coach anymore.
Have to see what he can do with a stacked deck. We had a lot of limitations this year and he's also got to "compensate" for a QB with notable limitations -- especially off script.

We had way too much instability on the OL (injuries and dudes you just can't count on), weakness at TE, issues at RB (regardless of what Mostert accomplished) and some brittle play at WR (Waddle is legit reliability concern IMO).

Add to that Achane being pretty glassy, which was a huge disappointment for me since he was relatively bullet proof in college. The kid seems to be one of those "talents" that needs to be at 100% to be effective -- and that's really hard to do at RB in the NFL. McD might need to carve out a more sustainable role for him...

That said. I agree the play calling has to get better. I hope he's up to challenge so we'll have to see...

He can call plays , he just needs too get much better at it.
He can even get them in on time and has had 1-1/2 years to get it fixed. He is hurting the Team with this aspect of the game. He is not good at it..he does not think fast enough to ceberal. He speaks slow and thinks slow. Smart yes but analyzing everything to 100th degree is not being in the moment. With need a OC with a feel for the flow of the game in real time.

He can even get them in on time and has had 1-1/2 years to get it fixed. He is hurting the Team with this aspect of the game. He is not good at it..he does not think fast enough to ceberal. He speaks slow and thinks slow. Smart kind but analyzing everything to 100th degree is not being tin the moment. With need a OC with a feel for the flow of the game in real time.
Do think he will actually get a guy to call the plays? I agree with what your saying but can he.

Back
Top Bottom