Start talking #3 officially | Page 34 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Start talking #3 officially

No, not always, but from today, starting today. At 3 you take a QB. But he said he is not taking a QB. This is a message to teams and fans, he is open for business.
He absolutely did NOT say he would not take a QB. he only affirmed Tua as "starter" in '21.

Furthermore when asked directly re competition @QB he didn't hedge -- he said that was the plan.

So bottom line ----- he left ALL options open and didn't hint either way.

But of course he's going to answer the phone if someone wants to talk business.

Many won’t disagree with you including me. The problem is @3. I honestly can’t think of a single receiver that’s ever been drafted that high.

IDC that not many receivers have been drafted that high. At one time, RB’s were all the rage. But times changed. And continue to change. Used to be BIG men were the top picks in the NBA. Then athletic wings. But now skilled shooters like Steph Curry, Trae Young and Luka Dončić are where it is at.

In today’s NFL receivers are as important as they’ve ever been. I’ve read people argue QB’s make receivers and conversely that receivers make QB’s. Truth is in between. It’s a bit of both.

Hitting on big plays down field only happens so often. You gotta also have play makers that can turn bubble screens and 5-10 yard passes into chunk plays. IMO players that can do both are more than worthy of top picks.

As I’ve brought up before, if Tyreke Hill or Devante Adams was available at 3 you’d take them. Because their impact is undeniable. While we don’t know that Smith, Chase, or Waddle will be the next versions of Hill or Adams — they have the highest potential to become that type of player.

Smith specifically has shown the past 2-3 seasons that he can beat teams deep but also turn short throws into chunk plays. IMO, his 2020 season has been even more impressive in that the opposition focused on him (with Waddle being down with injury) yet still couldn’t slow him down. And we’re talking SEC defensive backs — some of which are highly coveted prospects in the upcoming draft.

Didn’t BYU lose to Costal Carolina this year too?
...and Zachy boy looked absolutely horrible while doing it. It was the only legit defense he faced all year. Lol, at the people thinking this kid is going to come in and blow up the NFL. You want to talk about someone throwing to absolutely open WR's in college. Zach Wilson in the Mountain West, or whatever it's called now, is a conversation no one wants to have.

If you don’t think Najee is worthy at 18 I honestly don’t know what to say. I know people don’t like picking RBs that high, but look what happened with Tannehill when he got a legit RB in Henry.

Derrick Henry
Dalvin Cook
Nick Chubb
Joe Mixon
Jonathan Taylor
D'Andre Swift
Ronald Jones
Kareem Hunt
Miles Sanders
JK Dobbins

Premier backs drafted in the last five years that didn't get it into the first round despite being extremely highly rated (Harris would be rated lower than any of these guys) . The position just doesn't get drafted that high any more. These are all the backs that were drafted above 24th the last 10 years:

Saquon Barkley 2
Leonard Fournette 4
Christian McCaffrey 9
Ezekiel Elliot 4
Todd Gurley 10
Melvin Gordon 15
Trent Richardson 3

Of the 3 on that list who would currently be considered top tier (Saquon, CMC, Zeke) 2 hardly played at all due to injury and the third struggled after his OL was hit by injuries. The other 4 make the case against using high picks on the position. Even though Gurley was elite for a while, he's finished at age 26. All these backs were rated considerably higher than Harris.

A couple teams desperately need a LT, especially the Bengals if they want Burrow to survive.

I think the Bengals will go for a (minimum) solid vet LT in free agency as that will give them a much better chance of protecting Burrow. Their wet dream at 5th is Chase for obvious reasons. No way are they trading up.

Trade down makes most sense. Would not take any RB until pick #50

Yes to both. UNC kid looks every bit of capable of 1000 yard seasons. Miami historically has history getting production out of 4th and 5th round guys. Hes every single bit of a bottom 2nd or top 3rd. Exactly where you take a running back, imo.

First pick 3 -> 7/8/9, you get your 2022 1st, your 2021 3rd, and you are off to the races. Pick whatever blue chipper is left out of the non-QBs. One of them bites. That's best case scenario. Absolutely best case, imo, but still realistic.

Last edited:
Derrick Henry
Dalvin Cook
Nick Chubb
Joe Mixon
Jonathan Taylor
D'Andre Swift
Ronald Jones
Kareem Hunt
Miles Sanders
JK Dobbins

Premier backs drafted in the last five years that didn't get it into the first round despite being extremely highly rated (Harris would be rated lower than any of these guys) . The position just doesn't get drafted that high any more. These are all the backs that were drafted above 24th the last 10 years:

Saquon Barkley 2
Leonard Fournette 4
Christian McCaffrey 9
Ezekiel Elliot 4
Todd Gurley 10
Melvin Gordon 15
Trent Richardson 3

Of the 3 on that list who would currently be considered top tier (Saquon, CMC, Zeke) 2 hardly played at all due to injury and the third struggled after his OL was hit by injuries. The other 4 make the case against using high picks on the position. Even though Gurley was elite for a while, he's finished at age 26. All these backs were rated considerably higher than Harris.

I don't think any RBs will go in the 1st Round this year. Along with IOL it's the position you can probably find value in after round 3. But if we end up trading down for an extra 2nd rounder, spending our 2a on an RB looks reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom