Start talking #3 officially | Page 35 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Start talking #3 officially

Which WR is the best prospect and fit? Smith, Chase, Waddle, other?
I don't watch much college ball, so not a good judge. Seems like most here like Smith the best.
Ideally I would love to trade down to 7ish and get one of the WR.

As well it should be. It would be one of the biggest blunders in dolphins draft history.

It may be. But I remember the Oilers being lambasted for drafting Jim Everett one year after acquiring Warren Moon. Well, they parlayed that pick into a couple of all pro players (OG Kent Hill, DE William Fuller) and the Rams next two first rounders plus a fifth. A couple of years later the Oilers had arguably the best roster in the league with only the vikings and 49ers really able to make that claim for themselves.

Its just amazing that there are so many options, and all of them are like " oh, I'd like it if we did that" (except taking a QB at 3). I'm happy if we stay put and take Sewell, I'm happy if we trade down for either Smith/Chase, I'm okay with taking their wr of choice at 3, I'm okay with taking Sewell/Chase/Smith/Parsons and trading up for Waddle. Its just crazy, so many options. IF we do anything in FA, it could leave even more flexibility.

Its just amazing that there are so many options, and all of them are like " oh, I'd like it if we did that" (except taking a QB at 3). I'm happy if we stay put and take Sewell, I'm happy if we trade down for either Smith/Chase, I'm okay with taking their wr of choice at 3, I'm okay with taking Sewell/Chase/Smith/Parsons and trading up for Waddle. Its just crazy, so many options. IF we do anything in FA, it could leave even more flexibility.

Yeah I would love to address to at least one need in FA. I don't care if it's WR, maybe off -ball linebacker or even o-line. Just think it would give us even more flexibility...

If we signed one of Godwin/Robinson/JuJu, as much I love Chase/Waddle/Smith, I'd be cool with Sewell at 1A and draft a wide receiver like Marshall, Bateman, Olave, Toney or Moore later in the draft.

Feel like there's a decent amount of depth at WR position in this draft

The Tunsil trade could result in a combination such as Jackson, Sewell, and Najee Harris or Jackson, Chase, Harris.

Well played Grier.
That’s wrong. Jackson came from the Pittsburgh pick. Noah came from Houston pick

You have to think Tua know Smith and Waddle pretty well, wonder which one he prefers

I preface this with the fact that I don't watch college football! So, I basically just chose based on position / draft board order.

But I just did the PFN mock simulator for a bit of fun. I just did 3 rounds.

Traded back from 3 to 6 and picked up Eagles 2022 1st. I drafted:

WR - Jaylen Waddle
Edge - Gregory Rosseau
WR - Kadarius Toney
LB - Nick Bolton
RB - Javonte Williams
Edge - Quincy Roche

As I say, I pretty much know nothing about these players :-) A little bit I've read about the first three, and Williams. But I figure, we badly need edge & WR help. Along with RB. Could do with a LB too, but I've no idea what style this chap is.

Sure, bit of fun anyway!

It may be. But I remember the Oilers being lambasted for drafting Jim Everett one year after acquiring Warren Moon. Well, they parlayed that pick into a couple of all pro players (OG Kent Hill, DE William Fuller) and the Rams next two first rounders plus a fifth. A couple of years later the Oilers had arguably the best roster in the league with only the vikings and 49ers really able to make that claim for themselves.
I'm old enough to remember that. :ffic:

Which WR is the best prospect and fit? Smith, Chase, Waddle, other?
I don't watch much college ball, so not a good judge. Seems like most here like Smith the best.
Ideally I would love to trade down to 7ish and get one of the WR.

Waddle is definitely an xfactor and of these 3, is the most exciting with the ball in his hands. He's still relatively unrefined as a WR but can immediately be plugged into an NFL special teams unit and make plays. I'd be okay with him at 18 but no earlier.

Personally, I think you're kind of splitting hairs between Chase and Smith, both of these guys I would very much consider at 3 (depending on their 40's and would prefer to move back 4-5 spots and secure either of them).

Chase has a Dez Bryant game to him, he's strong, can create his own separating and most importantly body people for the ball.

If it were up to me I'd go with Smith, I think he actually posses a truly elite skillset. He's definitely undersized but body type-wise he reminds me a lot of Stephon Diggs coming out of Maryland, Diggs has packed on muscle and has shaken a lot of durability issues he used to deal with.

I'm expecting Chase to run in the mid 4.5's and for Smith to dip into the high 4.4's. This will be the point that people start viewing him as the consensus #1 WR

I really do believe we'll end up moving out of the 3rd spot so a team can come get Penei or Wilson, We just have too much leverage to not make a deal.

I’ve seen a bit of tape on Sewell and he looks a monster to be honest. How does he compare with Tunsil coming out of college?

How ironic Houston wanted Tunsil so bad they gave away such a lot only for us to draft Sewell who is maybe better?

Bill O’ Brien Fins legend! Lol

IMHO, Ja'Marr Chase will be the first WR taken ... and if he's not, history will reveal that he should have been. This guy is special. I'm all for trading down from #3 to around 8-10, but want a future #1 to do it. This draft doesn't appear to have as clear-cut of a top tier as most drafts, with a lot of quality players drifting down into around 15'ish. But if teams want to pay a premium for a QB (and don't rule out a late infatuation with Trey Lance), I think we can benefit from a really strong offer to trade back.

Weird that you haven’t seen that WR from Alabama play, D. Smith. I’m sure there’s some videos on YouTube about him. Check him out.

Just having a go at you. :poke: Love your posts Digital. It will be interesting to see how their careers play out. Crossing my fingers the Fins get one of them.

Weird that you haven’t seen that WR from Alabama play, D. Smith. I’m sure there’s some videos on YouTube about him. Check him out.

Just having a go at you. :poke: Love your posts Digital. It will be interesting to see how their careers play out. Crossing my fingers the Fins get one of them.
Smith is a good player ... but so were Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, and the many other top wideouts they've had through the years. Even this year Jalen Waddle was their WR #1 before his injury. Nick Saban does a great job of recruiting, and then trains up his guys to be the great players they can be. That team always has great WR's, great OL, and usually pretty darn good RB's and sometimes TE's and QB's too. But it's hard to miss their WR talent, because top to bottom they're almost always the best WR group in college football.

I remember a WR who many discounted because despite his production, he played at a lower level with Mississippi Valley State. He tested as slow running in the 4.6's at only 6'1, and despite looking fast in game tape ... teams were put off by his numbers. He ended up being a gamble. That gamble paid off. His name was Jerry Rice.

When I watch Jamarr Chase I see shades of Rice in his game. No, he's not going to test blazingly fast like Jalen Waddle will or Henry Ruggs did. Chase isn't going to test as fast as Smith either. Chase is 6'1 but not a particularly big WR in the mold of Mike Evans or AJ Green. But like Rice, Chase has great hands, runs good routes, and has tremendous yards after the catch despite his timed speed being rather pedestrian. It's not going to be the team around him that makes him special. It's not going to be just beating overmatched single coverage. It's not just going to be running in space after the catch. It's a combo of hands like Jarvis Landry, RAC like Deebo Samuel, good route running, good ability to separate. The whole package reminds me of Rice. I just cannot see any other receiver with that complete package. So, to me, Jamarr Chase is the best WR in this draft. Just my $0.02 on the position in this draft.

Back
Top Bottom