Starting in 2006: MNF to ESPN; SNF on NBC | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Starting in 2006: MNF to ESPN; SNF on NBC

Jimmy James said:
I'm not certain Michaels will stick around at ABC. If he does, he's a lock for the new MNF telecasts. I mean, if the argument is that he's locked up by Disney, why not use him for that?

As far as Madden goes, I'm rooting for John's "Final Call" (to borrow from Rusty Wallace) this season. If NBC or any of the nets hire him, I will vomit. I don't know who to suggest to pair with Costas or Albert. Maybe they could make a run at somebody unconventional. I know Dennis Miller didn't go over at all, but I seem to recall that NBC was the net that liked to use Bob Euker in the booth for baseball...

OK., there is no NEW MNF package. The Sunday Night Package and those games are just moving to Monday. Same package, same type of games, new day. That's all.

Plus, Al Michales has a contract with ABC not ESPN. Granted, same parent owner, but not the same company so to speak.

DonShula84 said:
I know they didnt lose anything. Just curious to see if maybe they give the booth a new look now maybe try to bring Madden over or something, you might want to calm down a bit though, less coffee or something.

Madden costs a lot of money and has a lot of demands. They won't want any part of him. Especially with a crew already in place.

MikeO said:
OK., there is no NEW MNF package. The Sunday Night Package and those games are just moving to Monday. Same package, same type of games, new day. That's all.

Plus, Al Michales has a contract with ABC not ESPN. Granted, same parent owner, but not the same company so to speak.

It is my understanding that ABC Sports is actually managed under ESPN. It would stand to reason that his contract would be with ESPN unless perhaps it predates that arrangement. In that case, it becomes a function of whether it makes sense to keep a Michaels who won't do ESPN stuff around just for basketball or to release him from his contract. Where's the value for ABC? Are you going to send him out to do CART or IRL or whatever racing they have now?

As far as "same games", there are no games even scheduled for 2006. I think the league is probably selling two parties the same idea: they're implying to ESPN that they're getting MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL, and they're implying to NBC they're getting the same level of prestige as ABC had with MNF. It will be very interesting to see who wins that perception war. As to the announcers, this would be the perfect time to change things up if ESPN wants to do so. I have to guess they know how unpopular that crew is among viewers.

Jimmy James said:
It is my understanding that ABC Sports is actually managed under ESPN. It would stand to reason that his contract would be with ESPN unless perhaps it predates that arrangement. In that case, it becomes a function of whether it makes sense to keep a Michaels who won't do ESPN stuff around just for basketball or to release him from his contract. Where's the value for ABC? Are you going to send him out to do CART or IRL or whatever racing they have now?

As far as "same games", there are no games even scheduled for 2006. I think the league is probably selling two parties the same idea: they're implying to ESPN that they're getting MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL, and they're implying to NBC they're getting the same level of prestige as ABC had with MNF. It will be very interesting to see who wins that perception war. As to the announcers, this would be the perfect time to change things up if ESPN wants to do so. I have to guess they know how unpopular that crew is among viewers.

SNF has the "flex" schedule. That means its the old MNF package tweaked to make it the major primetime game of the week.

And the ESPN crew is only unpopular among certain people. Actually you stating they are unpopular is just your opinion shared by a few people around here who seem to hate EVERY announcing crew! :shakeno:

SkapePhin said:
According to WFAN.

SNF will be a flex schedule.
This might be the dumbbest move ever. If anything I'll bet they lose ratings. Hopefully they'll show Monday night games on TSN or I'll be super mad.

MikeO said:
SNF has the "flex" schedule. That means its the old MNF package tweaked to make it the major primetime game of the week.

And the ESPN crew is only unpopular among certain people. Actually you stating they are unpopular is just your opinion shared by a few people around here who seem to hate EVERY announcing crew! :shakeno:

I think SNF is flex schedule only because its more logistically feasible. Switching Sunday games over to Mondays would probably be a pain in the butt.. Youd have to think that teams are at least somewhat prepared to travel to certain places at certain times..

SkapePhin said:
I think SNF is flex schedule only because its more logistically feasible. Switching Sunday games over to Mondays would probably be a pain in the butt.. Youd have to think that teams are at least somewhat prepared to travel to certain places at certain times..

Exactly. It remains to be seen which slate of games will look like the best slate as of when the schedule is announced next year and also what slate of games will be the best slate looking back after the flex works itself out. For instance, will certain games be exempt from flex? If ESPN MNF gets a primetime Cowboys/Redskins game, is Fox contractually guaranteed the other so that it can't be the flex SNF game even if it's the best one?

MikeO said:

I actually refer to that crew as the "3 idiots" in reference to other places I have heard harsh criticism of the crew. I wasn't aware they were loathed by many here. I would agree that announcing crews in general have gone way downhill now. I don't hate them all, but I do find it sad that there is so little difference in the first team and the marginal teams on any given weekend.

SkapePhin said:

Because the SNF package will be the better games (ala current MNF).

MikeO said:
Because the SNF package will be the better games (ala current MNF).

Yes, but only because its more difficult to transfer over game to Monday nights. They will still try to hype up Monday Nights.. Afterall, it will be the only game on that day.. The ESPN hype machine will be at an all time high for these games.

Awsi Dooger said:
Is there life after Paul Maguire?

Are you sying there's life during Paul Mcguire? The guy calls a game like he's on a local cable station, and he and Theisman fight like school girls.

Of the three, I like Paul best and Joe the least. My hunch is that Paul would be fine without Joe dragging him down.

hey boysss i'm baaackkkkk!!! ya baby!! Jimmy James whats up? Who cares we wont' be on MNF this year.....We should all have a draft party on saturday!

MikeO said:
ABC wasn't moving Desperte Houswives.

That's short sighted by them. In 5 years we'll still be football crazy, but the women will be trying to remember what that Desperate thingy was called.
Although I also read in the paper that ABC was somehow losing money on MNF despite the high viewership.

dolphan north said:
That's short sighted by them. In 5 years we'll still be football crazy, but the women will be trying to remember what that Desperate thingy was called.
Although I also read in the paper that ABC was somehow losing money on MNF despite the high viewership.

All of these networks lose money on NFL football.

Back
Top Bottom