Tannehill, Gase & Tannenbaum: Epic Failures | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill, Gase & Tannenbaum: Epic Failures

I grew up in the Griese Shula era, and everything after. You may not like Gase orTannehill but they’re the best we’ve had since. I wasn’t a fan of the Jimmy Johnson approach. I think he built a great defense but he kind of halfassed offense.
The combo of Parcells and Ireland f__ked this franchise for years, this team is still reeling from that debacle.

Same here (shocked you left out the Marino era but I think you meant that with the Shula era - but he did play under Johnson for 4 years).....I and I agree that Ireland,Parcells, etc. screwed us for years but I still think we're stuck in that phase with Tannebum, Ross and just possibly Gase. I'll withhold final judgment on him until this season but if this team doesn't progress then he's obviously part of the problem too....not a solution (same w/Tannehill).

Same here (shocked you left out the Marino era but I think you meant that with the Shula era - but he did play under Johnson for 4 years).....I and I agree that Ireland,Parcells, etc. screwed us for years but I still think we're stuck in that phase with Tannebum, Ross and just possibly Gase. I'll withhold final judgment on him until this season but if this team doesn't progress then he's obviously part of the problem too....not a solution (same w/Tannehill).
I can agree with that.

Call me silly but

dang it seems like

really difficult to win

consistently

in the N F L these days

unless you cheat and/or

have the refs on your side

or a closeted tranny

playin' coitusback.

Am I wong?

Or what?

Wow this thread...

As a 30+ Year SD Charger fan (not LA) I can see a haunting resemblance to the hell that I have lived through.

Gase just seems similar to the Mike Riley years in SD. I am not an optimist or a pessimist but a realist.

Prove me wrong but this is not a playoff roster or staff. Who am I though?

Fortunately, they don't need a pass as he has played well. Gase took this job partly because of Tannehill and even when having the opportunity to draft "his" qb, he passed and doubled down on Tannehill.
well if season doesn't go right than. I am saying tbuam and adams will get pass because they didn't draft thill17....

well if season doesn't go right than. I am saying tbuam and adams will get pass because they didn't draft thill17....

I understand your point, but Gase has had chances to add QBs and has continued to back Tannehill, he and number 17 are tied together as much as if he drafted him. I am simply saying that if the season goes sour, it won't be because of Tannehill unless he gets injured. The season can easily go sour due to holes in the defense, LB, DT, and the 2nd boundary CB. Those are the areas of concern. Tannehill is pretty far down on the list of issues going into week one.

T-hill is a good leader, very high character guy, good SYSTEM QB. NOT a PLAYOFF winner & has shown absolutely no signs of being a clutch QB.

He can run the play called, but he NEVER drives the ball down the field.

He takes the easy read and walks back nice & calm to sit on the bench after every failed 3rd down conversion... every season, every game, every quarter, every drive...

Serious question. Have you watched any Dolphins games in the last 6 years?

This is exactly the kind of post that keeps the Tannehill debate raging. Not Tannehill's play. Not W/L record. It is idiotic, easily refutable, nonsensical claims. Just F'n ridiculous.

Frankly even the rest of the anti-Tannehill crowd should come out against this nonsense or risk being grouped with this guy.

Precisely. The great poster cbrad on the other site researched the matter recently and found out that even Tannehill's touted 8 game stretch in 2016 wasn't anything special. It fell in line with the best 8 game stretch for other quarterbacks. The cherry picking types here were comparing the best run of games Tannehill ever had to the season ending numbers of other quarterbacks. Convenient.

I don't know if I'm considered a Tannehill hater. I hate that we ever drafted him because the possibility of this type of drag-on career was glaring before he ever put on an NFL uniform. I posted in the Draft Forum prior to that draft that I thought Tannehill's upside was 12th in the league. Through all the adjustments around here I've never seen anything to change my mind.

I have to say it is an improvement that some of the posters who would have avalanched this thread are gone. Otherwise we would have had non-stop screen captures asserting Philbin as the worst coach ever and Lazor as the worst offensive coordinator ever. That stuff was an insult but it was allowed to monopolize this forum far too long. We've been nothing but Crowd no matter who is coaching or playing yet somehow we managed Crowd despite all those bottom of the barrel coaches. Wow, that must have been quite the roster, especially with the important pieces.

Somehow I don't remember that.

Otherwise, I have no idea how Saban waiting until a halftime deficit of a national championship game to yank a sophomore in favor of an elite true freshman has any relationship to Tannehill's situation at Texas A&M. If Tannehill were considered elite or anything close then he would have played early and throughout his college career, possibly departing after three seasons. The parallel at Alabama is all those journeyman types who Saban has played at quarterback, and won huge with, including titles. Ryan Tannehill absolutely could have won national championships in that situation. Alabama talent level dictates outcomes. But none of those journeyman types was tipped toward NFL star. McCarron and McElroy were later round types.

Age does matter in draft prospects. That's one reason that Jim Coburn is currently light years my favorite draft analyst. In following this stuff for almost 50 years he is the first guy to astutely study age at every position and make it a major variable in his rankings. But in terms of college quarterbacks translating to the NFL the research has been done countless times. I've seen it for decades. The findings are always the same. The younger range fares best and there is a sucker quality to quarterbacks who are still in college at 23, especially if they have not been longtime starters. That was my objection to Ryan Tannehill. As always, I look at more-often-than-not. The Tannehill payoff almost certainly wasn't going to be top of the ladder, the projections toward greatness. On that other Dolphins site I saw a guy who apparently was a former scout liken Tannehill's upside to Aaron Rodgers. In fact, he has done it numerous times. That is glaring verification that scouting is primitive and overly subjective. He should have had it drilled into him before watching his first practice as a scout that age means a great deal with quarterbacks, and not to get carried away with arm, stature, accuracy and other physical qualities, if the age aspect is red flag. Something is wrong.

Here is the latest version of the age research. The sweet spot with quarterbacks is ones who enter the league after playing their final college season at age 21. Once you reach age 23 and older there is a decisive dropoff, especially if the quarterback has fewer than 35 college games under his belt.

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/18979/nfl-draft-does-age-matter-for-quarterback-prospects

All of that seems self explanatory to me. Ryan Tannehill has actually done a very nice job performing above the level that would be expected of a player with his college background. But we made a poor choice in terms of value and upside. It has been a trend for far too long, including first round choices like JuWaun James and Charles Harris. That's largely why we are stuck in Crowd. Someone here the other day raved about Robert Quinn because the Dolphins finally understood value for a chance...Quinn worth more than a 4th rounder. Absolutely. Let's keep it up.

* Yes, this does resemble an NYJUNC thread. I was extremely annoyed when someone beat me to that comparison. In the old days whenever a thread gained many pages in short order, it was guaranteed to be Vaark arguing with NYJUNC.

* Regarding the reference to Georgia governor, I don't have to know anything about the poster who first brought that up. I prefer him over the guy who apparently will become Georgia governor in a few months.

Good post, but it seems you say 12th like it's a bad thing. I think having the 12th best player at the most sought after position is not bad at all. Had the Dolphins known they were getting the 12th best QB when they drafted Tannehill, I bet they would've still taken him.

That being said, I don't it's the proper way to rate a QB. What I'd say is Tannehill can be very good with a good supporting cast, and pretty unremarkable, though not terrible, with a bad one. While you'd love to win the game in one move by finding a Peyton Manning, I think that's a perfectly acceptable proposition in football terms.

Not sure how someone could be clutch or a winner when they have never won anything at any level, let alone a playoff game.

I don't see how anyone could watch the 1st qtr of this game and not be totally alarmed. This was our dress rehearsal and we were facing the 2nd team of the Ravens and couldn't get a 1st down.

I don't see how anyone could watch the 1st qtr of this game and not be totally alarmed. This was our dress rehearsal and we were facing the 2nd team of the Ravens and couldn't get a 1st down.
Another slow start, not exactly awe inspiring

I hereby nominate this thread as the most controversial thread of the year. I don't care that it's only August....nothing is going to beat this. It has caused me to lose my faith in common sense throughout humanity. Good grief there are some insanely ignorant people in this world that run there existence on emotion. I've lost about 60 IQ points from reading the majority of these posts.

God love those #QBwinz delusional posters. There's just no helping them :wall

Omg how can we be like you and realize this Dolphins team is on the cusp of greatness! Please teach us!

Back
Top Bottom