Tannehill Supposedly Holding The Ball Too Long | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill Supposedly Holding The Ball Too Long

WaddleWaddle

Club Member
Reaction score
I remember when I was watching the Jets game I kept wondering why Tanny seemed to hold the ball forever until he got sacked and now with all the different opinions on whether Tannehill had zero pocket awareness or the sacks were on the oline, it just has me thinking . I watched the Jets Lions game and what I saw was great coverage on Lions receivers and great pressure but instead of Stafford waiting until someone opened up or just take the sack, he threw interceptions. The Jets blowout was completely based off the turnovers that the Jets D had and if I'm Gase and I play the Jets next week, Im telling Ryan to go through his reads and if nobody is open just take the sack if you are in the pocket. I'm curious why nobody seems to have considered that Tannehill holding the ball forever sometimes wasn't part of the gameplan? I actually think that Tannehill and Gase discussed this and decided if nothing is open and we take the sacks, we will punt it and force the rookie QB to beat us knowing he has a tendency to turn the ball over. That Jets D is good, they are fast and they know how to jump routes. If I'm playing the Jets I am not letting that D dictate the game by forcing turnovers. I wonder if anyone else thinks this could have simply been part of the gameplan?

I can't imagine that Gase would ever instruct him to take a sack. Too much risk of injury. I think it's just a matter of him being a fighter and never wanting to give up on any given play. He holds out too long fighting to find an open receiver.

That was evident.

Do you want an award for paragraph usage? I'm writing a post on an internet forum while in the bathroom, not writing a memo to a client where I need to ensure that I type in a professional manner but I'm happy you find it important to comment on an internet post about paragraph usage....... my lord

Tannehill release speed will quicken up as the year progresses if by game 6 nothing's happening then your point is valid.

Tannehill release speed will quicken up as the year progresses if by game 6 nothing's happening then your point is valid.

I think we will know more once they play the Jets again. If Tannehill's release speed gets quicker as the year progresses but then when they play the Jets he holds the ball again, that would show they attack the Jets differently.

not a bad thought but i do think Tannehill could've thrown the ball away on 2 of the sacks.. especially when playing with a nice lead, avoid turnovers (and RUN the BALL on 3rd and 1 with Gore)

I still believe it just rust from too much time without games. It takes games to improve game speed and awareness. He went a long time without playing in a real game.

I can't imagine that Gase would ever instruct him to take a sack. Too much risk of injury. I think it's just a matter of him being a fighter and never wanting to give up on any given play. He holds out too long fighting to find an open receiver.

Coaches absolutely will. Don't force a throw bc you're about to be sacked.

I still believe it just rust from too much time without games. It takes games to improve game speed and awareness. He went a long time without playing in a real game.
Yeah, I have to agree with you, I think with such a long layoff he's definitely rusty.

Back
Top Bottom