Tannehill Supposedly Holding The Ball Too Long | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill Supposedly Holding The Ball Too Long

I don't understand why someone brings up Russel Wilson either - it doesn't make Tannehills pocket awareness/presence better.

Because it demonstrates that sacks do not automatically mean poor pocket presence like so many assume. Tannehill is often compared unfavorably to Wilson in that aspect, yet there was Wilson getting sacked 6 times.

That doesn't mean what you think it means, in fact that kinda contradicts this whole thread.

Time to Throw is the time from the moment the ball is snapped to the moment he releases the ball, meaning he is getting rid of the ball the 6th fastest in the NFL according to those stats.

If you look up the NextGen stats on NFL.com it actually has him as the #2 QB in this regard.

So, I don't think him holding the ball too long is valid if you want to use this stat as a measuring stick.

LOL. It doesn't contradict the whole thread but it is funny that the poster didn't understand what the stat is measuring.

Tannehill has always been a quick decision maker when someone is open (whether it is the first, second, or third read). He goes through his reads better than most QBs. This whole issue with holding on to the ball too long is so overblown. I will be concerned when it becomes a pattern. I will be concerned when it is costing us games.

In the same game that he took a couple of sacks he could have avoided, he manipulated the pocket extremely well on other plays. He held the ball long enough to make a play on the third TD. I'll trade two third down sacks (instead of throw aways) for a TD every game.

Last edited:
He did hold the ball too long on a few plays. I would like to see him improve in that area. He seems to wait too long to roll out too. He doesn't have great pocket presence but beggars cant be choosers and we could nitpick every QB. I'm hoping by week 6 or 7 he has better feel for this and doesnt take as many sacks and big hits. Hes mobile and athletic but it could be used more when his first or 2nd read isnt there.

We saw exactly this in 2016. No reason to believe he won't be the same this season. We have ample evidence of Tannehill being a student of the game and correcting mistakes.

Why is this a 5 page thread based on incoherent nonsense?

Held the ball so long against the Jets that he went from first to sixth in getting rid of the ball compared to his peers. No doubt two of the sacks he could've avoided but there seems to be alot of nit picking going on for a 2-0 (9-1 last ten with Tannehill) team.

I outlined the game back in post #43. I have to say after re-watching the entire game, pocket presence and time holding the ball was not a big negative factor in this game. There were only 2 plays in the entire game where Ryan indisputably made poor decisions that led to sacks. Of those 2, only one of them was due to Ryan holding onto the ball too long. On the other one, Ryan took a bad angle toward the corner as the pocket collapsed and Copeland was able to release from his blocker and snag Ryan as he came by. This play was negated by a Jets penalty. Finally, the Jenkins sack where Jenkins was untouched off the line, and Ryan was in a designed reverse roll-out that prevented him from seeing Jenkins until it was too late. In an effort to throw the ball away, it slipped out of Ryan's hands. There were no other plays that you can watch and see any indication that Ryan had poor decision making. He was

All that said, I won't dispute fact that Ryan's time holding the ball per pass play increased significantly in this game. But if you look at all the plays, he was not under duress for most of the remaining pass plays, and he adjusted well extending plays successfully with completions and conversions on multiple occasions. There were many other pass plays where the line gave Ryan more time than we are used to, and that is what contributed more to the additional time on pass plays than the plays where he was sacked (with the Anderson sack as the one exception). For the most part, our line did a good job protecting Tannehill.

No question we saw improvement in 2016 before the injury. I only think it’s fair to give him some more games to get back close to how he was playing in 2016 before the injury.

Supposedly 2.38 seconds is too long for many of you...

From PFF
“Tannehill ranks sixth among all quarterbacks in time to throw through the first two weeks of the season, averaging just 2.38 seconds per passing play.”

I outlined the game back in post #43. I have to say after re-watching the entire game, pocket presence and time holding the ball was not a big negative factor in this game. There were only 2 plays in the entire game where Ryan indisputably made poor decisions that led to sacks. Of those 2, only one of them was due to Ryan holding onto the ball too long. On the other one, Ryan took a bad angle toward the corner as the pocket collapsed and Copeland was able to release from his blocker and snag Ryan as he came by. This play was negated by a Jets penalty. Finally, the Jenkins sack where Jenkins was untouched off the line, and Ryan was in a designed reverse roll-out that prevented him from seeing Jenkins until it was too late. In an effort to throw the ball away, it slipped out of Ryan's hands. There were no other plays that you can watch and see any indication that Ryan had poor decision making. He was

All that said, I won't dispute fact that Ryan's time holding the ball per pass play increased significantly in this game. But if you look at all the plays, he was not under duress for most of the remaining pass plays, and he adjusted well extending plays successfully with completions and conversions on multiple occasions. There were many other pass plays where the line gave Ryan more time than we are used to, and that is what contributed more to the additional time on pass plays than the plays where he was sacked (with the Anderson sack as the one exception). For the most part, our line did a good job protecting Tannehill.

Correct. It isn't a question of holding the ball too long, off-target passes, or a thing else. ALL QBs do those things. It's a question of how often and against how much pressure

I would love to be able to see a different camera angle so I could see the coverage during the plays from which he was sacked.

Who cares thill17 is not going be superstar QB, as long as we winning who care..

Back
Top Bottom