Tannehill Supposedly Holding The Ball Too Long | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill Supposedly Holding The Ball Too Long

If there are those who don't think he got better in the pocket in 2016...I really don't know what to tell you.

He's not back there yet, but he got better even *during* that Jets game. If you watch that 3rd and 19 play and don't say, "Oh, okay, he navigated the pocket well here while it was collapsing around him," then I'm of the opinion you're actively trying not to.

What he got better at was making a quicker decision to pull it down and try to make something happed outside the pocket. That is what he was a touch slow at on Sunday. Simply speed of the game. He saw the pressure and just misjudged when he needed to leave to get away from it.

still struggles to identify the rush it looks like but he is doing a better job to get the ball out . promiapro start from him for sure after 2 years away basically.

Like 31 other QBs?
I’m sure there are at least 31 other QBs in the league that are like that. Now 31 starting QBs all like that? Yeah no. Rodgers isn’t like that. Brady isn’t. Yeah every QB gets sacked. But Tannehill always wait too late to try and leave the collapsing pocket or he runs right to where it’s collapsing. So many times you see Brady just step to the side to avoid the pressure or Big Ben just step up in the pocket with better footwork or Rodgers just roll outside it or Luck escape just enough to throw the ball away. Don’t see that with Tannehill. I hold my breath every time I see the pocket collapse because I fear Tannehill is about to fumble the ball or take a huge loss with the sack.

I’m sure there are at least 31 other QBs in the league that are like that. Now 31 starting QBs all like that? Yeah no. Rodgers isn’t like that. Brady isn’t. Yeah every QB gets sacked. But Tannehill always wait too late to try and leave the collapsing pocket or he runs right to where it’s collapsing. So many times you see Brady just step to the side to avoid the pressure or Big Ben just step up in the pocket with better footwork or Rodgers just roll outside it or Luck escape just enough to throw the ball away. Don’t see that with Tannehill. I hold my breath every time I see the pocket collapse because I fear Tannehill is about to fumble the ball or take a huge loss with the sack.

This is the truth, I don't know how anyone cab dispute it.

Doesn't mean Tannehill doesn't do other things well, he's our QB and I believe in him but I think what Dolph just explained is what holds him back from being a top 10 QB in this league

Tannehill is waiting too long to take off.

He’s athletic - after 3 seconds get moving.

It’s an injury risk for him the way he’s doing it.

He is getting moving late which is the most risky way of going because the defender is at speed - he is trying to get to speed and getting pulled down - putting his body in awkward positions.

He literally should NEVER do this.

2.5 to 3 seconds and move into space.

Also in week one with an interception on a pass to Grant - he needs to throw to space.

Get the yards while creating once the initial play breaks down.

The Dolphins will be elite if he can do this - see Ben Rothlesberger.

We will go down hard if he doesn’t because injury is inevitable if he is not getting to space with speed before defenders can get to speed and have shots at him.

Tannehill is waiting too long to take off.

He’s athletic - after 3 seconds get moving.

It’s an injury risk for him the way he’s doing it.

He is getting moving late which is the most risky way of going because the defender is at speed - he is trying to get to speed and getting pulled down - putting his body in awkward positions.

He literally should NEVER do this.

2.5 to 3 seconds and move into space.

Also in week one with an interception on a pass to Grant - he needs to throw to space.

Get the yards while creating once the initial play breaks down.

The Dolphins will be elite if he can do this - see Ben Rothlesberger.

We will go down hard if he doesn’t because injury is inevitable if he is not getting to space with speed before defenders can get to speed and have shots at him.
I 2nd this. His leg bent an awkward position vs the jets on a sack, because he’s taking too long to get his body is a safer position to take them. Brady is not an athletic dude by any means but boy is he elusive in the pocket.

I actually think that Tannehill and Gase discussed this and decided if nothing is open and we take the sacks...

These kind of assumptions and MORE lead me to believe in conspiracy theories of nonsense.

Hello. Get rid of the ball. Use the ticker in your head and know when to give up on a play and NOT take a 10+ yard loss when it could be avoided.

SOS -- gotta go back to the best of the best -- see Marino.

Nowhere near as mobile (especially after all the knee and of course the horrific Achilles)... Can't sack that witch!

WHY??????????????????????????????

AhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhWARE---------NESS!!!!

Totally respect Ryan's TUFFNESS. Underappreciated arm. Athleticism. Total gamer. But he's NOT a master of the pocket

and let's be real. He never will be. So I have to assume so MUCH of the short chit dump off bail out BS is Gase trying to protect Ryan from himself.

Your comment was bad footwork with a collapsing pocket. 31 starters

LMAO at all these people dogging Tannehill and his pocket presence and how it has been 7 years. I mean get a damn clue already.....he has played 7 years with literally no pocket to consistently speak of. I mean do you even watch the games? He was getting pressures at just over 2 seconds, which is horrible! He still completed 74% of his passes, 2 TDs and no picks. Put down your Madden controllers and actually learn the game of football! Pocket presence SMDH! Clueless!

After week one he had the quickest release time of any qb. This week im sure that changed but it just goes to show ya it's not always the case

Sometimes he does hold the ball too long. 2 of those sacks are on that. But he still got pressured on 40% of his drop backs Sunday. That's not acceptable.

I just rewatched on GamePass.

1st series. no pocket issues.
Tannehill 20 yard run. Drake had two fair plays. Other than that, Jets D stopped them legit.

2nd series. Nice pass to Amendola. Then sacked. He had time. I didn't see any problem with his footwork. But when he tried running outside to avoid the sack. RT mis-judged how much leeway he had with that one. His fault. Tunsil did let up on the play allowing Anderson to break thru. But RT shoulda launched it.

3rd series. NO issues. Drake TD.

4th series. No issues. 3 and out, but no issues with pass rush, or pocket presence. Short throw was a little fast and low, but catchable, was dropped.

5th series. Was having a good series with no issues. Then the sack came out of nowhere. Branden Copeland snuck inside behind the DT and Kilgore failed to pick him up. Can't blame this one on RT. Copeland appeared so fast any QB would have eaten it on that one. Ryan was standing there poised ready to throw and did good to protect the ball during the sudden attack.

6th series. Awesome. Touchdown pass to Wilson. RT poised and makes throw. Had good time, one rusher made it to him just after the throw.

7th series. RT showed a very good adjustment to pass rush on 3rd and 2, and converts to Stills. More good passing and runs. Then the Awesome pass to AJ Derby for another TD. Good pass blocking by line. RT able to stand poised and delivered the perfect pass to AJ.

Nearly perfect 1st half and the only plays that were ugly were the 2 sacks. Blame one of those on RT.

Now the ugly...

8th series. RT sacked. Fumble. Recovered by Jets. Jenkins came in off the line untouched and was in the perfect spot as Ryan was making his designed roll out off the fake hand off to the opposite side. Ryan's back was to Jenkins until he started turning. The shock of Jenkins being right there forced him to change his rollout and he lost grip on the ball. He maybe could have tucked and held onto the ball. It slipped out of his hand as he tried to throw it away. Ugly. This was not a pocket situation. So don't chalk this one up to Ryan's pocket presence. He was in a designed rollout and got a big surprise when Jenkins came at him untouched.

9th series. We see the start of the conservative play calling. It makes sense with the lead. We tried to get the running game going. They stopped us. NO issues with Ryan in the pocket.

10th series. Nice pass to Amendola to start. Then a good run by Drake. And another by Gore.
Then the Sack comes by Copeland again. This time you CAN blame RT cause he tried running out to the left as pressure was building up in the pocket. I don't think he had bad footwork, but he took a bad angle toward the corner and Copeland released from his blocker and got him. Ryan could have used his athleticism to take a better angle and probly picked up the first down or at least avoided the sack. Once he realized Copeland was getting off his blocker, it was too late to try to throw. He had committed to running and just took a bad angle. This sack was negated by holding against the defense, but I included it here, because it was was a legit mistake by Ryan.
Then we have the Kilgore Slip. Fumble. This one's all on Kilgore.

11th series. Too conservative on 1st and 2nd down. Sets up 3rd and long. We get the overthrown bomb. This was the only grossly off target pass from RT of the whole game. There were no other real intermediate or long passes in the game so far, so you might say Ryan was iced for that long of a throw by this point in the game. That was a sure TD if it had been on target.

12th series. Great final drive. You can't find anything to fault RT here. And plenty to praise him. A couple nice throws. One throw to Gore that saved the drive. Couple of nice runs. Put the game away.

Summery: Ryan had an excellent game overall. They played conservative at times, but not as much as you'd think or as it seemed the first time watching. The play calling should have included a few more deep and/or intermediate throws. I think at least one of those sacks (I'm thinking the second half Jenkins sack) was probly going to be a deep ball. I'm blaming 2.5 sacks and one fumble on Ryan. The rest of the ugly was beyond his control and would have been the same result no matter who was playing QB.
Even with the win, I expect Ryan will see what went wrong and be ready for those situations going forward. This is the kind of stuff you clean up as the year goes on. They played a hell of a game. I'd also point out that Ryan contributed way more to offset the 2.5 sacks he owns.

Now the dreamer's note: IF they had connected on that bomb, they woulda been THE talk of the NFL this week.

Sacks *are* better than interceptions unless they are strip sacks or injure the qb

It's a good point, and hard to remember sometimes on sunday when you are hoping the current offensive series will get things going. I was in fact thinking he was holding on too long sometimes last sunday, but rarely do we see the coverage downfield on the broadcast.

These kind of assumptions and MORE lead me to believe in conspiracy theories of nonsense.

Hello. Get rid of the ball. Use the ticker in your head and know when to give up on a play and NOT take a 10+ yard loss when it could be avoided.

SOS -- gotta go back to the best of the best -- see Marino.

Nowhere near as mobile (especially after all the knee and of course the horrific Achilles)... Can't sack that witch!

WHY??????????????????????????????

AhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhWARE---------NESS!!!!

Totally respect Ryan's TUFFNESS. Underappreciated arm. Athleticism. Total gamer. But he's NOT a master of the pocket

and let's be real. He never will be. So I have to assume so MUCH of the short chit dump off bail out BS is Gase trying to protect Ryan from himself.

Ryan tannehill is not Aaron Rodgers. And gase knows that and I'm sure tannehill does too. Why would it be absurd to think that they knew it was smart to stay in the pocket and take a sack if need be than to throw it up and risks interceptions. How did Detroit get bombed? Turnovers.

Back
Top Bottom