Tannehill Supposedly Holding The Ball Too Long | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill Supposedly Holding The Ball Too Long

I don't think it's unreasonable to admit his pocket presence (or lack there of) is definitely one of his biggest weaknesses.

I've supported him since day 1 and he's improved at it - marginally - but it's easily his biggest weakness. I don't understand why someone brings up Russel Wilson either - it doesn't make Tannehills pocket awareness/presence better.

The dude has his weaknesses - for sure. You don't need to blindly defend the guy as if he's your first born son and you live in a 3rd world country.

You’re a ****ing idiot. Period. And, stupid at life.

Paragraph...:you’re still an idiot.

To be that angry over a sarcastic comment and to say those kinds of things is a direct result of poor mental health. It’s pretty ridiculous to be honest. You should really consider getting checked out by a professional.

I'm with Lionstone. RT is still rusty. He really making some amazing throws so the arm is live but I guess being in real games under fire can't be simulated in practice. It might be the last skill set to return to Ryan but he'll start playing faster. By game 5 or 6 there should be no evidence of rust. All we can do is keep an eye on it. 2 fumbles on Ryan last game, can't have it.

To be that angry over a sarcastic comment and to say those kinds of things is a direct result of poor mental health. It’s pretty ridiculous to be honest. You should really consider getting checked out by a professional.

Not angry at all. Your posts are not sarcastic...they mock the poster. You do it often. Likely due to your insecurities of small hands, bad breath, and simple mind.

I agree with the poster above who pointed out that RT did way more good than the couple of bads that he had. He really showed courage and athletic ability on those 4th quarter runs that clinched the game.

I remember when I was watching the Jets game I kept wondering why Tanny seemed to hold the ball forever until he got sacked and now with all the different opinions on whether Tannehill had zero pocket awareness or the sacks were on the oline, it just has me thinking . I watched the Jets Lions game and what I saw was great coverage on Lions receivers and great pressure but instead of Stafford waiting until someone opened up or just take the sack, he threw interceptions. The Jets blowout was completely based off the turnovers that the Jets D had and if I'm Gase and I play the Jets next week, Im telling Ryan to go through his reads and if nobody is open just take the sack if you are in the pocket. I'm curious why nobody seems to have considered that Tannehill holding the ball forever sometimes wasn't part of the gameplan? I actually think that Tannehill and Gase discussed this and decided if nothing is open and we take the sacks, we will punt it and force the rookie QB to beat us knowing he has a tendency to turn the ball over. That Jets D is good, they are fast and they know how to jump routes. If I'm playing the Jets I am not letting that D dictate the game by forcing turnovers. I wonder if anyone else thinks this could have simply been part of the gameplan?
No coach instructs his QB to just take a sack. It’s a negative play that will kill the possession. The QB is instructed to throw ball away and is actually coached to do so.

This isn’t on plays of “instant pressure” but rather the plays where coverage is good or QB can’t locate the open target quickly enough. So slide in pocket or buy a bit of time and find a target or else get the incompletion to avoid negative plays.

After listening to Gase's press conference yesterday Gase made remarks that the Jets were calling the right defense against our offense taking things away we wanted to do more than not. Ryan took what the Jets gave him.

Gase doesn't say this he hints it so you have to read his facial expression and the few words that come out of his mouth.

I'm becoming a semi-pro reading Gase's expressions.

Keep in mind,we play the Jets twice a year they know us and we know them. It's cat and mouse.

And by the way, the Jets are and always will be our biggest rival. They can go F themselves:finger

Last edited:
After listening to Gase's press conference yesterday Gase made remarks that the Jets were calling the right defense against our offense taking things away we wanted to do more than not.

This is exactly what I saw when rewatching the game.

This is exactly what I saw when rewatching the game.

First of all Gase was annoyed he had to answer the question. I think it was regards to no points in the second half. Then he kinda had to pause and think about how he was going to phrase it.

These are not his exact words but ,A lot of things we wanted to do and thought we could do,the Jets did a good job stopping.( Spygate 2 ? )

IMO,teams need to take advantage of Miami in the first 8 games offensively, because the second half of the season the coaches and players will be more prepared and a smoother and less predictable.

No coach instructs his QB to just take a sack. It’s a negative play that will kill the possession. The QB is instructed to throw ball away and is actually coached to do so.

This isn’t on plays of “instant pressure” but rather the plays where coverage is good or QB can’t locate the open target quickly enough. So slide in pocket or buy a bit of time and find a target or else get the incompletion to avoid negative plays.

You can't always get out of the pocket to throw it away. Therefore taking the sack might be the best idea

He did hold the ball too long on a few plays. I would like to see him improve in that area. He seems to wait too long to roll out too. He doesn't have great pocket presence but beggars cant be choosers and we could nitpick every QB. I'm hoping by week 6 or 7 he has better feel for this and doesnt take as many sacks and big hits. Hes mobile and athletic but it could be used more when his first or 2nd read isnt there.

He's getting time:
“Tannehill ranks sixth among all quarterbacks in time to throw through the first two weeks of the season, averaging just 2.38 seconds per passing play.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article218604690.html#storylink=cpy
That doesn't mean what you think it means, in fact that kinda contradicts this whole thread.

Time to Throw is the time from the moment the ball is snapped to the moment he releases the ball, meaning he is getting rid of the ball the 6th fastest in the NFL according to those stats.

If you look up the NextGen stats on NFL.com it actually has him as the #2 QB in this regard.

So, I don't think him holding the ball too long is valid if you want to use this stat as a measuring stick.

Back
Top Bottom