Tannehill To Bengals A Possibility | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill To Bengals A Possibility

I was done with the guy when he blew out his knee prior to the 2017 season. His decision to go the stem cell route was Steve Jobs treating his cancer holistically levels of asinine.

A good QB can make up for a lot of deficiencies on offense and Tannehill simply wasn't that guy for us. He's Alex Smith's little brother.

My point is that RT has been rather consistent for 7 years when dealing with a revolving door of players who have had little to no talent to offer this roster.

If I am analyzing the team, I am not going to pretend like a Patrick Mahomes could walk into the building and take the team to the playoffs.

Patrick Mahomes can be broken in half just like every other man on the planet.

I am not going to pretend any of the OL we've acquired in the last 8 years have done their job. Laremy Tunsil is the only saving grace and we saw what happened once we lost him for a half.

I get the desire to want to start fresh. I don't care much for the fans who waited for weeks 15-17 to happen so they could say 2012-18 can now be defined.

Ryan Tannehill should feel no shame. Propping up a horrible roster with his toughness.

Mike Pouncey, Richie Incognito and Johnathon Martin deserve that honor.

Our OL Bullied each other to the point of a felony threats.

But ya, we tried.

Julius Thomas says hi. If anyone is wondering, he's still running that fade route and will be in the endzone any moment now.

That's absolute hogwash. Brandon Albert and Mike Pouncey made the pro bowl while blocking for Tannehill. Incognito went to the pro bowl 3 straight times after he was kicked off the team. Juwan James and Tunsil also have been steady since they've been here. He had his share of talented linemen blocking for him while he was here.

You and plenty of other posters (surprisingly a lot of them didn't survive the week 15 Thanos snap) were downright nasty to other people this offseason that saw Tannehill for what he was going into this season. Quit the humility nonsense and eat your crow burger.

Agree on that.

But I will say even in 2016 when we saw the best peak of Ryan Tannehill football, with the best OLine play, most weapons and a near the top of the league running game . . . .the offense wasn’t great . . . .they were just good in that stretch and still got demolished on the road vs. a physical team in Baltimore.

In all fairness, this team always loses to the more physical opponents, or at least, certainly has since JJ left the HC position. Honestly, QB may be the most important position on the field, but physicality is the great equalizer. Remember Brady’s first SB? Brady was average at best. B.B. just ratcheted up the physical component of the Patriots game plan and made the Rams pay in pain for every single down. In the end, one of the best offenses ever seen in the NFL was almost completely neutralized.

My biggest wish with the new regime is that we start in the trenches and make sure we are the most physically imposing team in the AFCE.

We will never know the answer on this and of course we will choose sides even on it but I think those first 5 years taking all that contact really did a number on Ryan. Mentally, pocket development, muscle memory wise etc. he was tough as shoe leather so maybe it got a little overlooked I know we were on borrowed time with all that contact but really what’s done ryan in more than anything else imo is the lack of development of the off script and the situational awareness at times. In terms of his pure play. Or what I would completely hold the qb accountable for.

Vs the Vikings if there was 12 sacks to be had there he’d have stood there and took every one of them. Doesn’t much matter how many he was responsible for of the 9.

Vs physical fronts and teams we just always seemed to get our *** kicked at the los. For the longest time I thought that was just o line play cause we got man handled up front but the qb never came up with any off script counter to try and offset.

It’s gonna go down for me as the strangest lack of development with time and reps I think I’ve ever seen. These things qbs don’t always come into the league elite at they develop. And with Ryan it’s just been missing or never developed.

And maybe that’s a part of the reason why he has taken so much hard contact.

I just know the way the last 3 games went even I was ready to waive the white flag on this qb in Miami.

And I can’t blame anyone else for feeling the same.

Pre snap and progression read he checks those boxes but man tbe off script and the at times situational awareness in the clutch it’s like he’s mentally not there.

You can’t take the kind of abuse Tannehill took year after year and not be impacted by it both physically and mentally. That he was able to play as many games as he did is a testament to his toughness. The biggest mystery to me, was the lack of scrambling and rushing attempts. He has tremendous talent throwing on the run, and as a converted WR, he was capable of getting actual chunk plays on the run as well. Somewhere along the line, it was like either the coaching staff or Ryan himself just became completely unwilling to use his legs. If they had just established his run game as a viable threat, it would have been so much harder for opposing defenses to just pin their ears back and rush every down.

Looking at it objectively, he was the wrong pick for the Dolphins because they had not the game plan, nor the talent to maximize Tannehill’s strengths. They drafted the least experienced QB and put him on a team with poor coaching (which lead to lots of turmoil and turnover on the coaching staff), almost no offensive talent and put turnstiles on the offensive line. To top it off, when Tannehill did put up great play, the defense would melt down.

This is not to say RT has no blame in what happened. Ryan still has plenty of holes in his game, but in hindsight, the situation was actually doomed from the start. Maybe another team with a much better staff can undo some of the damage and give him a good opportunity to be successful, but it certainly is not going to happen in Miami.

That's absolute hogwash. Brandon Albert and Mike Pouncey made the pro bowl while blocking for Tannehill. Incognito went to the pro bowl 3 straight times after he was kicked off the team. Juwan James and Tunsil also have been steady since they've been here. He had his share of talented linemen blocking for him while he was here.

You and plenty of other posters (surprisingly a lot of them didn't survive the week 15 Thanos snap) were downright nasty to other people this offseason that saw Tannehill for what he was going into this season. Quit the humility nonsense and eat your crow burger.
Pouncey is easily the most overrated Dolphin in a long time. The offense improved with Sattele under center in place of him, which should tell you everything you need to know about the great Mike Pouncey.

While there have been some respectable OL individual players in Miami, the unit as a whole has been terrible. Putting a pro bowler on the line next to an absolute scrub still results in poor OL play. Clearly, it’s impossible for a team to have an all pro bowl OL, but I have never seen such staggering disparity between talent as I have on Miami’s OL. Tunsil can be having the game of his life, but put Ted Larsen next to him, and you have a stack of unabated to the QB sacks.

This juvenile attempt to make posters “eat crow” for believing that the OL had an impact on Tannehill’s performance is coming off as very petty.

Pouncey is easily the most overrated Dolphin in a long time. The offense improved with Sattele under center in place of him, which should tell you everything you need to know about the great Mike Pouncey.

While there have been some respectable OL individual players in Miami, the unit as a whole has been terrible. Putting a pro bowler on the line next to an absolute scrub still results in poor OL play. Clearly, it’s impossible for a team to have an all pro bowl OL, but I have never seen such staggering disparity between talent as I have on Miami’s OL. Tunsil can be having the game of his life, but put Ted Larsen next to him, and you have a stack of unabated to the QB sacks.

This juvenile attempt to make posters “eat crow” for believing that the OL had an impact on Tannehill’s performance is coming off as very petty.

I mean people aren’t blind . . . .everybody knows the OL hasn’t been good enough, even before Ryan Tannehill.

It’s more of the constant lack of accountability for Ryan over the years, defaulting blame to pretty much everybody but him, that really causes some of the “pettiness” that you see.

I normally agree that we just need to move on . . . . But we are talking Tannehill and that is not something that has ever been an easily dismissed subject on Finheaven. Now that it is more than ever looking like we will part ways after an unsuccessful 7 years . . . Don’t expect people who were his biggest critics to stop chirping now . . . And it can and will sound juvenile at times, like it always has, from both sides.

And when he goes to another team, plays and has success . . . .good lord his biggest advocates will be praising the week like if Miami won a playoff game.

Ryan Tannehill is easily the most polarizing figure that will ever be talked about on this site. We all should be used to this by now.

I mean people aren’t blind . . . .everybody knows the OL hasn’t been good enough, even before Ryan Tannehill.

It’s more of the constant lack of accountability for Ryan over the years, defaulting blame to pretty much everybody but him, that really causes some of the “pettiness” that you see.

I normally agree that we just need to move on . . . . But we are talking Tannehill and that is not something that has ever been an easily dismissed subject on Finheaven. Now that it is more than ever looking like we will part ways after an unsuccessful 7 years . . . Don’t expect people who were his biggest critics to stop chirping now . . . And it can and will sound juvenile at times, like it always has, from both sides.

And when he goes to another team, plays and has success . . . .good lord his biggest advocates will be praising the week like if Miami won a playoff game.

Ryan Tannehill is easily the most polarizing figure that will ever be talked about on this site. We all should be used to this by now.

Yup, he ‘was’ the most polarizing player on the site. He will no longer be a Dolphin so will have to find another player...

We have the weakest lines in the division though don’t we? Thats scary. If you hope for success for the new QB we better fing address it. I mean both sides. It would asking an awful lot for a young QB to come in and transcend that on both sides of the ball, especially since consensus seems to be that their is no generation type QB this draft.

Much of the punishment RT endured was of his own making.
There are many highly paid defensive players whose main job is to pressure QBs. We see QBs being pressured in every game.
The better ones (even the not so mobile ones like Brady and Marino) can move in the pocket to buy an extra second or 2.
David Carr and Rob Johnson for a few years were defended with the same excuses as RT i.e poor O-line play.
However, once they were replaced (Matt Schaub and Doug Flutie, respectively)the number of sacks went down. Not a coincidence.

Yup, he ‘was’ the most polarizing player on the site. He will no longer be a Dolphin so will have to find another player...

We have the weakest lines in the division though don’t we? Thats scary. If you hope for success for the new QB we better fing address it. I mean both sides. It would asking an awful lot for a young QB to come in and transcend that on both sides of the ball, especially since consensus seems to be that their is no generation type QB this draft.

A QB does more to influence the play of his offensive line than any scheme or personnel adjustment can do. That in itself is lost amongst Tannehill advocates. NE throws 3rd stringers on that line and the unit performs higher than we can ever aspire.

That is the QB at work. The argument of QB X would be crap in Miami because of the OLine has always been a very shortsighted argument.

That being said, this seems like the perfect draft to build up the OLine and the front 7 and that is the direction I would take.

A great QB can hide deficiencies but you are absolutely right, great or good or even average, a QB stands a better chance with competence around him . . . And we haven’t had that with any consistency in a long time.

Grier is in a tough spot. He needs a QB, and no matter what we feel, if any of these guys, particularly Haskins or Murray, gives him any conviction that they can lead this team to great things, you have to do what you can to add them to the roster. This decision will define his tenure as the Head of Operations.

Just don’t add a QB with urgency for the sake of adding one . . . . .too much damn talent at vital team building positions for that nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom