*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread *** | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread ***

What people seem to forget, with a huge Hurricane Disruption, losing a very needed bye, having a LB that was homesick, a RB that was disruptive, a Coach that was enjoying himself by putting a white substance up his nose, losing for the season a Rookie LB that was being looked as a very crucial part of the defense, losing for the season a QB, that had coaches and players hugely excited, failing to get that crucial TE that is needed in Gase's Offense, still Miami for more then three quarters of the season were in the playoff hunt.

If Tannehill is healthy, tough schedule or not, people are going to be surprised of the Dolphins early on in the the season, and by mid to later in the season Fans of other teams will be checking their schedule hoping and making sure Miami is not on their schedule. This team has huge potential, can't remember the last time I was this excited about the season to start.

I’m excited about this team. I think we’ve put together a team that will execute offensively on a consistent basis. This is going to make a world of difference. We will have high football IQ players all over the field and a being a team that doesn’t beat itself will put us right into the top half of the league. I’m still nervous about the run defense but other than DT every defensive positional group should be improved. I’d love to dethrone NE but I’m not sure I’d go that far. They’re getting an infusion of talent too simply with a healthy Edelman and Hightower. Hopefully we can have a couple of dog fights with than and make them work for it instead of assume it.

What people seem to forget, with a huge Hurricane Disruption, losing a very needed bye, having a LB that was homesick, a RB that was disruptive, a Coach that was enjoying himself by putting a white substance up his nose, losing for the season a Rookie LB that was being looked as a very crucial part of the defense, losing for the season a QB, that had coaches and players hugely excited, failing to get that crucial TE that is needed in Gase's Offense, still Miami for more then three quarters of the season were in the playoff hunt.

If Tannehill is healthy, tough schedule or not, people are going to be surprised of the Dolphins early on in the the season, and by mid to later in the season Fans of other teams will be checking their schedule hoping and making sure Miami is not on their schedule. This team has huge potential, can't remember the last time I was this excited about the season to start.

Go back and look at the starters on D for games 1,8,16 (talent and experience) and then look at projected starters this year. I see overall improvement with the noted exception of Suh.

His team as a rookie had the #1 ranked defense in both points and yards. They had the #1 ranked offense in rushing attempts, #2 in yards, and #6 in TDs. They were 32nd in passing attempts and 28th in yards. Early in his career, Pitt was a team dominated by running the ball and playing defense.

Not trying to say he isn't a great QB, but he hasn't carried that team. Here are the ranks of the Pitt passing game, running game, and defense by year (all in yards) and their record:

2004 - 28 2 1 (15-1)
2005 - 24 5 4 (11-5)
2006 - 9 10 9 (8-8)
2007 - 22 3 1 (10-6)
2008 - 17 23 1 (12-4)
2009 - 9 19 5 (9-7)
2010 - 14 11 2 (12-4)
2011 - 10 14 1 (12-4)
2012 - 14 26 1 (8-8)
2013 - 12 27 13 (8-8)
2014 - 2 16 18 (11-5)
2015 - 3 16 21 (10-6)
2016 - 5 14 12 (11-5)
2017 - 3 20 5 (13-3)

Pretty remarkable that they have had a top 10 defense for 10 of his 14 years and a top 5 defense 9 times. He has definitely become the focal point of the offense over the last 4 seasons and had become a top 5 QB, but it is still pretty hard to say a QB is carrying a team with Bell and Brown. Although, being honest, I would have guessed higher running game rankings over the last few season.

He's posted above a 90 QB rating in all but two seasons. And he's only had AB and LB for the last several seasons. Early in his career he definitely spread the ball much more.

Miami would have won more games with him at QB.

He's posted above a 90 QB rating in all but two seasons. And he's only had AB and LB for the last several seasons. Early in his career he definitely spread the ball much more.

Comparing Ben's first years in the league with Tannehill's first years to make a point about QBs elevating the whole team is simply not fair...

First of all, you've got Cowher/Tomlin vs. Philbin

Then you've got Hines Ward + Plaxico Burress+Antwan Randle El+ Santonio Holmes VS. Legadu Nanee + Brian Hartline + Jabbar Gaffney+Marlon Moore+ Davone Bess

Steelers Top 1-3-11-2-1 scoring Ds vs. Dolphins Top 7-8-20-19-18 scoring Ds

Steelers Top 2-5-10-3-23 Rushing yards vs. Dolphins Top 17-26-12-23-9 Rushing yards

Steelers passing yards rank during his first 5 years? 28-24-9-22-17

**I realize passing yards doesnt account for efficiency, but it does show that the team relied alot more on the running game during that stretch...**

Ben only threw for over 20 TDs once during his first 5 years...

Again, not saying Tannehill is better than Ben, but saying Ben carried the Steelers in the early years is a big stretch... IMO

Last edited:
Go back and look at the starters on D for games 1,8,16 (talent and experience) and then look at projected starters this year. I see overall improvement with the noted exception of Suh.

Pretty dam exciting, isn't it. ;)

i think its great that the tannehill fanclub will tell anyone that will listen, if we just surround ryan with 10 probowlers then we'll see what he can really be. but if that were the case, what we'd see is we need a better quarterback.

calm down- no need for histrionics. as a member of the club, i can honestly state we only need him to be surrounded by a competent (i.e. average) OL and a decent (i.e. average) Defense.

He's already proved that's all he needs. i think this year he gets that. You'll be wondering in your heart of hearts how he
got so good all of a sudden.

Last edited:

I'd take Tannehill and the Pitt OL and defense over Roethlisberger and the Dolphins OL and defense.

You're also comparing a QB in this 9th - 13th years to a QB in his 1st - 5th years.

Here is a highlight Video on how Tannehill looked in the winning streak. Now I am not putting this up, to show how great Tannehill is or could be, but to show something. Don't watch how many TDs, or completions he he has, but instead watch the type of throws he makes, watch how many times he get DESTROYED, yet stays with it, and delivers a completion.

If Tannehill's body is good to go, mentally, Gase is the one that is going to have to slow him down, and with TEs, RBs that can catch the ball as well as the receivers Tannehill has, Tannehill is going to get to a point where he will wonder if it's actually fair.

we got better in the lockerroom but Sitton, Gore and Amendola are long in the tooth

that being said I think if Gase is to be our guy he and these guys need to pass the torch
to the next gen of leaders. we need Raekwon, Minkah, RT, Kenyan and others(who I don't know) to take
the torch.

Ryan is probably as good of a QB as those guys, but he has yet to show the ice in his veins needed to be "good enough". Hopefully he does starting this year.
l

it's like 2016 never happened for some of these posters. yes, let's all hope he "STARTS" to be good this year...:meh

calm down- no need for histrionics. as a member of the club, i can honestly state we only need him to be surrounded by a competent (i.e. average) OL and a decent (i.e. average) Defense.

He's already proved that's all he needs. i think this year he gets that. You'll be wondering in your heart of hearts how he
got so good all of a sudden.

I'm just guessing but how many Dolphins starters last year were in the bottom quintile. THOSE are the players/positions that have to be "good enough."

Back
Top Bottom