*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread *** | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread ***

Can anybody tell me why the national media bashed Miami for not drafting a qb with Tannehill coming off a serious injury, but nobody said a thing about the Colts. I get that some people would say Luck is the better qb, but his injury was a lot more serious and they're not sure he's going to be thowing come training camp. Is Brissett realy that much of a better back up option than Fales or Osweiler?
That's a greater mystery than who shot Kennedy.

Can anybody tell me why the national media bashed Miami for not drafting a qb with Tannehill coming off a serious injury, but nobody said a thing about the Colts. I get that some people would say Luck is the better qb, but his injury was a lot more serious and they're not sure he's going to be thowing come training camp. Is Brissett realy that much of a better back up option than Fales or Osweiler?
I understand the hype coming out of college with him being the son of a former QB and the numbers he put up in college, but his performance on the field, while it has been solid, it is not at level to justify the hype. He is not the second coming of Roger Staubach. I get sick of the reporters singing his praises in the media. Until he does something, don't act like he is bringing the Lombardi to Indy. Could this change in the future? Yes. But shut up about it until then. Sorry if I'm off topic, but I get sick of people talking about the guy

I've been asking that question since before the draft. None of the mocks had Indy drafting a QB.

I think he is and he showed as much last year if you watched him play. It wasn’t the utter incompetence that Osweiller has displayed or the complete lack of experience from Fales . . . .a guy who has never even really played in 5 years and was only put on the team after Moore and Cutler were getting hurt. Colts have a legit backup option while we are throwing darts at the board.

To say Fales is equal or better than Moore and Brissett is at best laughable and at in its truest form, incorrect. Thinking Fales goes on the road at Buffalo and the Jets in 2016 and comes away with a 2-0 record is the stuff of rainbows and butterflies.

But Dolfans are gonna see what they want to see. Guess we will find out like we always do . . . But the teams recent track record, and by recent, the last 15 years, suggests all of this confidence some have is in the deep realms of homerism.

If it all falls in place . . . Tannehill reverts to form and stays healthy after 20 months of dealing with an injury and rehabs, the Oline upgrades work out, you successfully replace Pro Bowl caliber guys in Landry, Suh and Parkey . . . And the wish washy defense somehow flips the switch . . . . Then hey it will be a long awaited welcome surprise.

It is not meant to **** on anybody’s parade, but at some point actions have to speak louder than words, and this is a team that will still be strapped with league high dead caps, still a **** cap situation, still with hopes pinned on a QB who hasn’t taken an NFL snap in 20 months . . . A QB that had 1 “great” stretch of football in 6 years . . . . And yet you have dudes on here saying “we are playing the odds on delivering a championship” because we have not taken the time to at least attempt to use an asset at QB to strengthen the position group with a QB guru as your head coach. It’s 1 pick, hell you throw them away like candy most of the time anyways . . . A good backup is gold in this league . . . Last year showed that, this franchise’s history has shown that.

It is not meant to **** on anybody’s parade, but at some point actions have to speak louder than words, and this is a team that will still be strapped with league high dead caps, still a **** cap situation, still with hopes pinned on a QB who hasn’t taken an NFL snap in 20 months . . . A QB that had 1 “great” stretch of football in 6 years . . . . And yet you have dudes on here saying “we are playing the odds on delivering a championship” because we have not taken the time to at least attempt to use an asset at QB to strengthen the position group with a QB guru as your head coach. It’s 1 pick, hell you throw them away like candy most of the time anyways . . . A good backup is gold in this league . . . Last year showed that, this franchise’s history has shown that.
I see you've moved on to the bargaining stage, that's progress.
When people throw in the line "a QB who will be 30", I just think 'a QB entering his prime'.
Then the 20 month thing... anyone who goes down in training camp misses 19 months, heck, everyone on the team will not have played in 9 months this September. The time off won't mean a thing, he would have to develop chemistry with a bunch of new offensive players even if he didn't miss time.
bottom line for me: the QB position is (slightly) better than this time last year, I wouldn't have minded a QB draft pick but Fales has as much upside as anyone after the 2nd round

I haven't followed the entire discussion but what would you have done this offseason and which QB or backup QB would you have gotten?

I have wanted a invested asset pick at QB since Gase got here.

We drafted Doughty in 2016, which hearing how he was a QB whisperer, I said ok whatever. Brissett, Dak and Conner Cook.

Then 2017, once Ryan went down and it was clear that even though Moore performed well in a backup role he had no upside and we needed to start attempting to develop a contingency at the QB position.

This 2017 draft I wasn’t as high on the QB class in the mid rounds, but there were options out there in FA and via trade. What did we do? Put our eggs in the Ryan basket and when he went down we Get a guy off his couch that Gase worked with and splurge 10 million.

So here we go again in 2018, eggs in the Tannehill basket, passing on Rudolph and Lauletta, and we settle for Brock Osweiller and David Fales and people are spinning that like we “upgraded” the QB position lol.

I get the counter point, well if Tannehill goes down again we will just suck and draft high next year. It never goes as planned. Either the QB class is weak the following year or we pass on a guy. It is just a tiring process and in the last 10 drafts to just use 1 pick on a top 6 round QB . . . .is just irresponsible.

I see you've moved on to the bargaining stage, that's progress.
When people throw in the line "a QB who will be 30", I just think 'a QB entering his prime'.
Then the 20 month thing... anyone who goes down in training camp misses 19 months, heck, everyone on the team will not have played in 9 months this September. The time off won't mean a thing, he would have to develop chemistry with a bunch of new offensive players even if he didn't miss time.
bottom line for me: the QB position is (slightly) better than this time last year, I wouldn't have minded a QB draft pick but Fales has as much upside as anyone after the 2nd round

We don’t know what we have with Ryan until live bullets start. It has been 20 months since his last real action. You can’t replicate Sunday away from Sunday.

Daunte Culpepper was never the same, and this was a guy who relied on pocket movement and mobility to be his best, just like Tannehill.

I am sorry, I just don’t have this air of confidence that some have in regards to a Tannehill picking up where he left off. If it happens great, but it is far from a given and we should of done more to at least have a peak at a guy we “should” of been developing in case it does not work out as planned with Ryan.

We don’t know what we have with Ryan until live bullets start. It has been 20 months since his last real action. You can’t replicate Sunday away from Sunday.

Daunte Culpepper was never the same, and this was a guy who relied on pocket movement and mobility to be his best, just like Tannehill.

I am sorry, I just don’t have this air of confidence that some have in regards to a Tannehill picking up where he left off. If it happens great, but it is far from a given and we should of done more to at least have a peak at a guy we “should” of been developing in case it does not work out as planned with Ryan.
What do you think has changed? Does an ACL injury make him slower or weaker? The time away should help mentally, so what do you expect?

Culpepper's and Tannehill's situations are not comparable.

1) Culpepper started falling off before his injury.

2) Culpepper tore his ACL, PCL, and MCL

3) Culpepper never properly finished rehabbing his knee.

What do you think has changed? Does an ACL injury make him slower or weaker? The time away should help mentally, so what do you expect?

If I am gonna be honest, I think there will “always” be a lesser trust by “anybody” in regards to the mentality towards their healed extremity.

That does not mean that player can’t overcome it and revert to form or become even better. And with Ryan’s work ethic, it would not surprise me.

But my issue is not with Ryan Tannehill. Even after not taking surgery last year I know it wasn’t some rogue decision. It was a teeth grinding one, one that had dozens of consults and ultimately was incorrect. It happens.

But to once again just handle the QB position on this team like it is the LB or RB position or something, just in general speaks to a poor philosophy, especially under these circumstances.

If Ryan goes down and Brock/Fales goes on a Foles/Keemun like set of play then certainly coach was right, the regime was right and I was wrong. Luckily I don’t have to be accountable, they do . . . .but I have to continue watching so I will make my opinion known and will have thought behind it. You can count on it

I'm glad the Dolphins didn't take a QB after the top 5 went. The last thing this franchise needs it to have Tannehill fail then go into next season with the mentality of letting the new guy (3rd round who dat QB) have a go and passing on another 1st round QB n the next draft. If Tannehill succeeds then all is well if he fails or wrecks that knee again...go get your QB in round one on the 2019 draft.

Back
Top Bottom