*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread *** | Page 25 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread ***

We get through August with Tannehill looking somewhat sharp and healthy . . . I will start feeling better.

Until then any optimism about the QB position will be extremely reserved from me.

But going forward I will avoid bringing up the regimes QB decisions in this thread and keep it about a Ryan. He does deserve that.

It's weird. Last offseason, I was optimistic...if puzzled...at the situation with Tannehill's knee. One of those "Well, okay, if the DOCTORS said it would be okay, they must know what they're talking about..." But there was always this nagging doubt in the back of my mind that made me wince a little.

I feel immensely better about it this year. Foolish optimism? Maybe, but I don't think so. Hoping for the best.

I think his point is, we don't know. He might be more wary of staying in the pocket as it collapses. He might not have his mobility etc. A big injury like that is sure to be in the back of his mind, regardless of how tough he has shown himself to be in the past.

I'm going to be honest, if he still has most of his mobility (and it seems that he will), then I would be OK with him being more eager to escape a disaster pocket and make a play on the run. Because let's be real, he's one of the best in the business at making plays on the run, he just didn't do it very much until Gase got here, because he was drilled to stay in the pocket.

You saw Gase encouraging him to do it more in 2016 and the results were pretty damn good, in my opinion.

I get the belief that if he's eager to bail out of the pocket, he will regress as a quarterback, but after watching him get crushed behind a dogshit OL for five years and never get in the habit of lowering his eyes or being scared of contact, I think he'll be fine to operate with a little bit more of a playmaking mindset.

As Tannehill said himself "don't think about it". Injuries happen and they could happen as innocuously as Macmillan's or a late hit by Campbell. So until it happens it's business as usual. I'm sure there were Patriot supporters worrying about Brady's knee and he's still going strong 40+.

If I am gonna be honest, I think there will “always” be a lesser trust by “anybody” in regards to the mentality towards their healed extremity.

That does not mean that player can’t overcome it and revert to form or become even better. And with Ryan’s work ethic, it would not surprise me.

But my issue is not with Ryan Tannehill. Even after not taking surgery last year I know it wasn’t some rogue decision. It was a teeth grinding one, one that had dozens of consults and ultimately was incorrect. It happens.

But to once again just handle the QB position on this team like it is the LB or RB position or something, just in general speaks to a poor philosophy, especially under these circumstances.

If Ryan goes down and Brock/Fales goes on a Foles/Keemun like set of play then certainly coach was right, the regime was right and I was wrong. Luckily I don’t have to be accountable, they do . . . .but I have to continue watching so I will make my opinion known and will have thought behind it. You can count on it
If Ryan goes down, we're fooked, no doubt but we are in better shape behind him this year
My question is about the whole "we don't know what we have with RT" premise.
ACL tears ain't what they used to be, even 10 years ago they were worse. Injuries in general are a concern for anyone in the NFL and someone who's never had an injury can have his career ended by injury on any given play. So what's different with RT? the length of time isn't out of the ordinary, same for the injury itself. As far as we know, there have been no setbacks in rehab and no reason to think the he won't be ready. The coaches and FO obviously believe he will be ready. Add to that he has been remarkably injury-free otherwise and he has looked sharp this week.
so why don't we know? what might have changed?

I think his point is, we don't know. He might be more wary of staying in the pocket as it collapses. He might not have his mobility etc. A big injury like that is sure to be in the back of his mind, regardless of how tough he has shown himself to be in the past.
imo, that's not necessarily a bad thing

After the pounding he took his first five years time away from the physical hits mightn't be a bad thing. He may be 30 when the season starts but he'll also have a season less wear and tear.

I'm going to be honest, if he still has most of his mobility (and it seems that he will), then I would be OK with him being more eager to escape a disaster pocket and make a play on the run. Because let's be real, he's one of the best in the business at making plays on the run, he just didn't do it very much until Gase got here, because he was drilled to stay in the pocket.

You saw Gase encouraging him to do it more in 2016 and the results were pretty damn good, in my opinion.

I get the belief that if he's eager to bail out of the pocket, he will regress as a quarterback, but after watching him get crushed behind a dogshit OL for five years and never get in the habit of lowering his eyes or being scared of contact, I think he'll be fine to operate with a little bit more of a playmaking mindset.
True, that's a good point. He's definitely quality when on the run - something which I always wanted more of from him. I guess my hope is that he doesn't feel like the pocket is collapsing more often than it actually is.

In fairness though, I don't personally fear that too much of him, he's really shown himself to be a tough cookie throughout his career, I'm relatively confident he'll continue in that vein when he comes back.

Can't believe that some are actually mad because we didnt grab a mid round QB... Such a marginal situation that most often results in a player who most likely wont get a 2nd contract in the NFL anyway...

That’s the old jersey. New one only has orange around the numbers I think.

That’s the old jersey. New one only has orange around the numbers I think.
I don't see the blue in this one, but the video is not in great quality so who knows.

Back
Top Bottom