*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread *** | Page 27 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread ***

http://www.nfl.com/player/ryantannehill/2532956/careerstats
http://www.nfl.com/player/andrewluck/2533031/careerstats

The career stats between the two has Luck throwing 26 more TD's than RT. Almost every other area has RT being as good as Luck, despite being sacked almost 60 times more.

RT is a top 10 QB when fit, and his stats show that. A cheap shot from Arizona damaged his career. He can come back, others have.

Keep the faith.
If you want a useful tool for comparing players, check out pro-football-reference.com, in the play index tab, click on the player comparison tool... Here's how it looks with Tannehill vs Luck for example...

https://www.pro-football-reference....toyear_2=2016&player_id2=TannRy00&idx=players

http://www.nfl.com/player/ryantannehill/2532956/careerstats
http://www.nfl.com/player/andrewluck/2533031/careerstats

The career stats between the two has Luck throwing 26 more TD's than RT. Almost every other area has RT being as good as Luck, despite being sacked almost 60 times more.

RT is a top 10 QB when fit, and his stats show that. A cheap shot from Arizona damaged his career. He can come back, others have.

Keep the faith.

People also see an 8 win ceiling and Luck’s line has been just as bad but Luck was ahead of Ryan at improvising and movement and avoided sacks at a better clip than Ryan.

We have seen Luck literally carry Indy into the playoffs and lead the Colts to playoff victories.

I mean there was a point where Andrew Luck was playing like the best player in the NFL . . . .and although he may never get back there, people hold onto that potential.

Like I said earlier, it’s nothing to get upset about . . . But Ryan will ultimately need that type of team success before he gets the love of an Andrew Luck in the national media.

Biggest diff ive seen between he and Luck is Luck was willing to try, and make, the higher risk throws. He has played with more confidence- which im sure at least in part is due to not having the OL and the coaches that RT had.

RT started closing that gap in 2016, coincidentally as the OL improved along with the coaching.

(agree w kdawg above too...)

Phintim- wish i could edit out "lies" . that was overly harsh. you were probably honestly mistaken and a little too busy or lazy to check out his background before posting that about his college career reflecting lack of talent.

Still, a correction was needed i think. Go Fins!

Thats been the RT excuse the oline. Sure Martin made it worse with his antics causing a complete rebuild but remember RT was a backup till his senior year in college and then only posted a 8 8 record. There was a reason for that. We have a new oline for the most part this year so if he continues to fail the onus will definitely be on him. RT is tough as nails and I respect that but talent plays into this too.

Yes there was a reason for that but not the one you think!!! In his senior year, out of 111 teams, Texas A&M averaged 39.1 pts per game (11th out of 120 teams) but their defense averaged 28.2points per game which was 70th out of 120 teams. Does that sound familiar???

Now to set the record straight so there'll be no more bullshit on this as this link confirms:
In 13 games Tannehill had a 7-6 record, passed for 3744 total yds, had a 61.6% completion rate and a QBR of 133.2 with 29TDs and 15 Ints

Now compare that with this year's flavor of the month, Josh Allen with a slightly but not appreciably better arm, a terrible completion rate in an uncompetitive conference and an even worse one at JUCO and try to tell me that he was and is a better prospect coming out than Tannehill LOL
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-am/2011.html

HOpefully at this point we can finally put any subsequently-related "faux facts" to bed once and for all!

Wow kinda got blasted there guys but thats OK. Forgive me if I like the Bill Parcels saying if they don't bite as pups they don't bite as dogs etc. RT was once a wide reciever at Texas AM but wanted to play QB. Why did he play wide reciever because he wanted to both play football and the coach at Texas AM had him buried on the depth chart at QB. That coach just did not see the talent. I also believe Texas AM had better records both prior and afterwards RT departure at QB. Now lets let's around this phins oline issue for a minute and how bad it's been. Lets see we had Pouncy, Albert, Tunsil and James on it all at one time. Guess what they have in common all 1st rounders. So not buying the talent sucked on the line. Sure you can blame coaching but interesting enough Philben, Sporano all were oline coaches prior to our head coaches. Lets bring up a little history of the phins here into this discussion, ole Danny boy had the highest rated oline during his tenure most of that line were cast off of other teams or low round draft picks. Point here e Danny boys quick release and pocket presense imo was is much much better than RTs. So all this lying some of you called me out for is BS. Wins and loses along with stats are the facts at the end of the day. If I want opinions on how talented RT is it was on this site on a player out of college I am probably going to check it out with Slimm who is not wearing aqua colored glasses. I believe one of his later opinions on RT is that RT has exceeded his expectations since we drafted him and I agree. RT has worked and improved which is great but what I believe what Slimm is staying and I agree RT ceiling was not so high as we would like to believe coming out of college. Standing by my post gents if RT stays healthy and doesn't get it done behind this oline this year tbe onus is on him.

Wow kinda got blasted there guys but thats OK. Forgive me if I like the Bill Parcels saying if they don't bite as pups they don't bite as dogs etc. RT was once a wide reciever at Texas AM but wanted to play QB. Why did he play wide reciever because he wanted to both play football and the coach at Texas AM had him buried on the depth chart at QB. That coach just did not see the talent. I also believe Texas AM had better records both prior and afterwards RT departure at QB. Now lets let's around this phins oline issue for a minute and how bad it's been. Lets see we had Pouncy, Albert, Tunsil and James on it all at one time. Guess what they have in common all 1st rounders. So not buying the talent sucked on the line. Sure you can blame coaching but interesting enough Philben, Sporano all were oline coaches prior to our head coaches. Lets bring up a little history of the phins here into this discussion, ole Danny boy had the highest rated oline during his tenure most of that line were cast off of other teams or low round draft picks. Point here e Danny boys quick release and pocket presense imo was is much much better than RTs. So all this lying some of you called me out for is BS. Wins and loses along with stats are the facts at the end of the day. If I want opinions on how talented RT is it was on this site on a player out of college I am probably going to check it out with Slimm who is not wearing aqua colored glasses. I believe one of his later opinions on RT is that RT has exceeded his expectations since we drafted him and I agree. RT has worked and improved which is great but what I believe what Slimm is staying and I agree RT ceiling was not so high as we would like to believe coming out of college. Standing by my post gents if RT stays healthy and doesn't get it done behind this oline this year tbe onus is on him.

Whole bunch of words that don’t say anything

Wow kinda got blasted there guys but thats OK. Forgive me if I like the Bill Parcels saying if they don't bite as pups they don't bite as dogs etc. RT was once a wide reciever at Texas AM but wanted to play QB. Why did he play wide reciever because he wanted to both play football and the coach at Texas AM had him buried on the depth chart at QB....

jeez, more LIES. i was giving you benefit of doubt in last post backing off my "lies" comment saying maybe you were just too lazy to get your facts right.

Now you double down in outright lies. Here are the FACTS:

1. RT was NOT a wide receiver who wanted to play QB. He was recruited as QB and was ALWAYS considered A&M's future starting QB.

2. He was personally asked by Sherman to play WR as a redshirt freshman because of his off the charts athleticism. And Ags already had some future NFL receivers at the time.

3. Sherman's request and his acceptance was made on the understanding that this would in no way impact his and Sherman's future plans for him at QB.

4. He continued to work out at QB, attended all QB meetings and was A&M's backup (2nd String) QB.

5. Jerrod Johnson was a great NFL QB prospect who unfortunately sustained injury going into his jr year. He did bounce around theNFL a little. sitting behind him was in no way an indictment of RTs own abilities. it was a matter of getting two great talents on the field at same time.

6. Sherman told RT not to worry, that he would be playing in the NFL soon. Sherman had buttload of NFL connections as Favre'sformer QB coach, and was a GREAT evaluater of talent.

7. When JJ was injured and started slipping, Sherman turned to RT. If there's any questiion of what he thoughtof RT's talent, you only need to see how hard Sherman lobbied to nab him with the 8th pick when Sherman's Job future at Miami was on the line.

Phintim, if you ever had any credibilty, you've lost it.

Maybe you're just a troll, but you certainly know nothing about Tannehill as far as his college career, Sherman, or A&M.

Just stop it!

Last edited:
Thats been the RT excuse the oline. Sure Martin made it worse with his antics causing a complete rebuild but remember RT was a backup till his senior year in college and then only posted a 8 8 record. There was a reason for that. We have a new oline for the most part this year so if he continues to fail the onus will definitely be on him. RT is tough as nails and I respect that but talent plays into this too.

Continues as in what? I think the last time he played for us he was on a 7-1 streak and leading us to the playoffs before he got injured because of the wonderful OLine you so kindly mentioned.

The problem with your arguments is you shoot from the hip a lot and just plain get things wrong. Like FACTUALLY wrong, not even talking about opinion stuff.

Here's just one example:

I also believe Texas AM had better records both prior and afterwards RT departure at QB

The Jerod Johnson Aggies in 2010 were 3-3 during his games. And those three wins game against Florida International, Louisiana Tech, and Stephen F. Austin. He lost all three games he played against ranked opponents.

They both played against Kansas, and both shared in that win.

The next six games Ryan Tannehill played, they were 5-1, including victories against #6 ranked Oklahoma, and #20 ranked Nebraska. They lost to the #8 ranked LSU Tigers in the bowl game.

Were they better after Tannehill left?

Sure, after Mike Sherman was fired from Texas A&M and they brought in Kevin Sumlin's Air Raid, and the defense went from allowing 28 points per game to allowing 21 points per game.

Were they better after Tannehill left?

Sure, after Mike Sherman was fired from Texas A&M and they brought in Kevin Sumlin's Air Raid, and the defense went from allowing 28 points per game to allowing 21 points per game.

I would also add to Parrot's comments that the D was amazingly improved, A&M struck gold with an unknown phenom named Manziel (who was better than almost any QB who ever played college football) two OL who ended up top 5 Draft picks, and a new unknown WR named Mike Evans.

None of that related to RT's performance.

Let me be clear, I’m a Tannehill supporter.

That said I do see some of the detractors points. He doesn’t seem to rise to the occasion and make his best throws when they are needed the most. He isn’t great at pocket awareness.

There are very few great QB’s anymore. Brady and Rodgers I’ll give you. I consider Bress, Rivers, and Big Ben close but no cigar. Bottom line is it is very hard to get a great QB.

Heck with Dan you almost preferred to be down by 4 with 3 minutes left in the game. You just knew he was going to score and only hoped the defense could hold out. Tannehill has a long ways to go in that regards. Frankly I doubt he gets there. Two minute offense doesn’t seem to be a strength.

Still he is good enough to win with just like Flacco was good enough for the Ravens.

Back
Top Bottom