*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread *** | Page 29 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread ***

jeez, more LIES. i was giving you benefit of doubt in last post backing off my "lies" comment saying maybe you were just too lazy to get your facts right.

Now you double down in outright lies. Here are the FACTS:

1. RT was NOT a wide receiver who wanted to play QB. He was recruited as QB and was ALWAYS considered A&M's future starting QB.

2. He was personally asked by Sherman to play WR as a redshirt freshman because of his off the charts athleticism. And Ags already had some future NFL receivers at the time.

3. Sherman's request and his acceptance was made on the understanding that this would in no way impact his and Sherman's future plans for him at QB.

4. He continued to work out at QB, attended all QB meetings and was A&M's backup (2nd String) QB.

5. Jerrod Johnson was a great NFL QB prospect who unfortunately sustained injury going into his jr year. He did bounce around theNFL a little. sitting behind him was in no way an indictment of RTs own abilities. it was a matter of getting two great talents on the field at same time.

6. Sherman told RT not to worry, that he would be playing in the NFL soon. Sherman had buttload of NFL connections as Favre'sformer QB coach, and was a GREAT evaluater of talent.

7. When JJ was injured and started slipping, Sherman turned to RT. If there's any questiion of what he thoughtof RT's talent, you only need to see how hard Sherman lobbied to nab him with the 8th pick when Sherman's Job future at Miami was on the line.

Phintim, if you ever had any credibilty, you've lost it.

Maybe you're just a troll, but you certainly know nothing about Tannehill as far as his college career, Sherman, or A&M.

Just stop it!
Bubba it appears from your name you probably are from Texas. While thats cool as thats home for all my family outside of myself in Fl and it looks certain that you know your boys teams in Texas and thats cool too. As far as your statement about my lies and being a troll go over and read my long post about RT career stats at AM. You might know his journey but the entire picture of his accomplishments dont look that impressive when looking at the entire picture. Just my opinion but if you want to refute someones post with facts thats fine but name calling should be below a Texan.

Phintim- wish i could edit out "lies" . that was overly harsh. you were probably honestly mistaken and a little too busy or lazy to check out his background before posting that about his college career reflecting lack of talent.

Still, a correction was needed i think. Go Fins!
Sorry for my earlier post kinda of callin you out as I did not see this post until right now. Forgetting football for a minute nothing I respect more than character. When I orginally posted RT is as tough as nails thats another way of saying what I call character and is truly more important to me to measure a human being than just talent. I also measure hard work and RT has that going for him too in fact Slimm recently posted what I had been thinking about in regards to RT. Slimm mentioned that RT surprised him in his work ethic in regards to raising RTs ceiling as a QB which normally does not happen that much in the NFL. I agree with Slimm on that and I truly believe RT has arm talent it's the instinct snd pocket presence thats needed to improve which is probably the hardest thing to learn or coach but the same determination that carried RT thru a 5 year college career at AM is showing up here and he is improving in those areas imo. Thats cool. But that was / is a issue and blaming it all on the oline count me not convinced. Same goes for Gase too semrwhere the rubber has to hit the road and I believe this is the season. I am hopeful it is the season but no doubt a bit pessimistic.

Last edited:
I watched every game and don't claim to e some expert but coupled with watching the phins a long time we had some lucky extra bounces IMO on some of those wins. RT looked lost thru game 4 imo again and then Parkey gave us that last minute win in game 5 against those winless Browns.
Is there a reason (besides trolling) that you attempt to discount every Tannehill win? Are you similarly discounting every win of every other QB that you compare Tannehill to?

Do you recall what Gase said about the offense at the beginning of the season? Look it up. Also look up the sacks per game before and after cutting Thomas and Turner. Tell me if you think that was a coincidence.

Thats pretty terrible stat, how bad were Philbin olines ranked at GB before joining the phins? He has been hired back by GB again, right you know the position?
I think in GB he helped make the offensive game plan but I don’t think he coached a unit. I could be wrong. I have no idea how this guy is still employed in the NFL.

Sorry for my earlier post kinda of callin you out as I did not see this post until right now. Forgetting football for a minute nothing I respect more than character. When I orginally posted RT is as tough as nails thats another way of saying what I call character and is truly more important to me to measure a human being than just talent. I also measure hard work and RT has that going for him too in fact Slimm recently posted what I had been thinking about in regards to RT. Slimm mentioned that RT surprised him in his work ethic in regards to raising RTs ceiling as a QB which normally does not happen that much in the NFL. I agree with Slimm on that and I truly believe RT has arm talent it's the instinct snd pocket presence thats needed to improve which is probably the hardest thing to learn or coach but the same determination that carried RT thru a 5 year college career at AM is showing up here and he is improving in those areas imo. Thats cool. But that was / is a issue and blaming it all on the oline count me not convinced. Same goes for Gase too semrwhere the rubber has to hit the road and I believe this is the season. I am hopeful it is the season but no doubt a bit pessimistic.
Why can't the majority of the problems be the OL? Check the performances with and without the starting OLs from 2014 and 2015. Check the performances before and after the cutting of Thomas and Turner in 2016.

The differences are striking.

I agree that it can’t all be on the O-line. There is an instinct factor that a Russel Wilson has (as mentioned way above) that Ryan does not (nor do most QBs) that needs to improve for him to be a top 10 QB. The tools are there and he gave us a terrific stretch of play before the injury. I’m excited to see how he does this year. I think one way or another all questions will be answered and that should be a good thing.

We're still having this argument? Honestly to me, the one real criticism for Tanny has been that he can get you in a position to win a game late, but he ends up coming up short. Now that's not all on him honestly (missed FGs, OL being blown up right away) but it's happened enough where it's a somewhat valid criticism. Hell it also overlooks the time that Tanny has gotten us the lead with under 5 minutes in the 4th quarter and the D crumbled.

Here, I looked up an article about it for you

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...roof-ryan-tannehill-perfo-20160405-story.html

Combine those games from 2014 and 2015 with the last 8 games from 2016 and you get a record of 13-2 with over a 100 QB rating. Let's be clear, the OL in those games was nowhere near top of the league. It was just not bottom of the league. In the games in 2014 and 2015, they were still allowing 2.43 sacks per game.

However, quarterback Ryan Tannehill's raw statistics during that period can't be ignored. In those seven games over the past two seasons Tannehill, who has been the most sacked quarterback in the NFL during his four-year run as a starter, produced an impressive 107.0 passer rating.

Tannehill completed 70 percent of his passes in those seven games. He averaged 254 passing yards, threw 15 touchdowns and five interceptions. He was sacked 17 times in those seven games, which averages out to 2.43 sacks per contest, which is better than his 2.87 sacks per game career average.

During the last 8 games of 2016, his passer rating was 101 with 13 TDs and 5 INTs with 69% completion percentage. Look familiar?

28 TDs, 10 INTs, 70% completions, over 100 passer rating. What more could you ask for?

We're still having this argument? Honestly to me, the one real criticism for Tanny has been that he can get you in a position to win a game late, but he ends up coming up short. Now that's not all on him honestly (missed FGs, OL being blown up right away) but it's happened enough where it's a somewhat valid criticism. Hell it also overlooks the time that Tanny has gotten us the lead with under 5 minutes in the 4th quarter and the D crumbled.

Seriously? 2013 again?

Not for nothing but who cares about his stats in college? Heck even 2016 doesn't matter anymore. The only thing that matters now is how he does this year. Like Metallica said, "and nothing else matters"

Wow kinda got blasted there guys but thats OK. Forgive me if I like the Bill Parcels saying if they don't bite as pups they don't bite as dogs etc. RT was once a wide reciever at Texas AM but wanted to play QB. Why did he play wide reciever because he wanted to both play football and the coach at Texas AM had him buried on the depth chart at QB. That coach just did not see the talent. I also believe Texas AM had better records both prior and afterwards RT departure at QB. Now lets let's around this phins oline issue for a minute and how bad it's been. Lets see we had Pouncy, Albert, Tunsil and James on it all at one time. Guess what they have in common all 1st rounders. So not buying the talent sucked on the line. Sure you can blame coaching but interesting enough Philben, Sporano all were oline coaches prior to our head coaches. Lets bring up a little history of the phins here into this discussion, ole Danny boy had the highest rated oline during his tenure most of that line were cast off of other teams or low round draft picks. Point here e Danny boys quick release and pocket presense imo was is much much better than RTs. So all this lying some of you called me out for is BS. Wins and loses along with stats are the facts at the end of the day. If I want opinions on how talented RT is it was on this site on a player out of college I am probably going to check it out with Slimm who is not wearing aqua colored glasses. I believe one of his later opinions on RT is that RT has exceeded his expectations since we drafted him and I agree. RT has worked and improved which is great but what I believe what Slimm is staying and I agree RT ceiling was not so high as we would like to believe coming out of college. Standing by my post gents if RT stays healthy and doesn't get it done behind this oline this year tbe onus is on him.
you didn't get blasted, you got truth.....
here's a great book to get started.
746915.jpg

I watched every game and don't claim to e some expert but coupled with watching the phins a long time we had some lucky extra bounces IMO on some of those wins. RT looked lost thru game 4 imo again and then Parkey gave us that last minute win in game 5 against those winless Browns.
And then ....he hit his stride and we went 7-1 with him putting up top 10 metrics in damn near every category. Don't pick and choose to make your point, no one is disputing the fact that we got off to a rocky start we're saying the light came on. And if you did watch every game I don't see how you can dispute that.

Here, I looked up an article about it for you

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...roof-ryan-tannehill-perfo-20160405-story.html

Combine those games from 2014 and 2015 with the last 8 games from 2016 and you get a record of 13-2 with over a 100 QB rating. Let's be clear, the OL in those games was nowhere near top of the league. It was just not bottom of the league. In the games in 2014 and 2015, they were still allowing 2.43 sacks per game.

During the last 8 games of 2016, his passer rating was 101 with 13 TDs and 5 INTs with 69% completion percentage. Look familiar?

28 TDs, 10 INTs, 70% completions, over 100 passer rating. What more could you ask for?

I compiled this from the '14 & '15 seasons. So granted it's dated, but still I suspect not too much has changed, especially when it comes to OL ranking. Among the points: over those 2 years, aside from Russell Wilson's Seahawks 30th ranked OL, and Brady and his 25th ranked OL, no other team those 2 years with a bottom tier OL made the playoffs. And Wilson had Beastmode for the #3 rushing game that year as well as benefitting from the #1D and the #1D in locking down #1 wideouts.

A case can be made that unlike Tannehill and the Fins, other teams with below average OLs have made the playoffs but thanks to compensating other strengths that Tannehill has rarely benefitted from. Again, give him a low-20s ranked OL and he's demonstrated both #Scoreboard and the ability to put up Top 10 and Elite QB numbers.

Metrics on how fins match up with playoff teams.jpg

Now factually I believe based on the stats, records of RT college career on the RT website I could debate you until the cows come home that I was correct on my original post that Texas AM records were both better before and after RT was the starting QB there.

No, you can't. Because your statement is just plain incorrect. On a factual basis.

I get being disappointed in Tannehill. I get not really buying his college career as that of a future NFL star.

But let's at least stick to factually correct points of argument.

Back
Top Bottom