*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread *** | Page 30 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread ***

.... You might know his journey but the entire picture of his accomplishments dont look that impressive when looking at the entire picture. Just my opinion but if you want to refute someones post with facts thats fine but name calling should be below a Texan.

Phintim, i have no problem if you want to criticize his "entire picture of accomplishments" or what have you. You know full well I was calling you a liar for knowingly making specific factual allegations of his history that were not true.

I even corrected you, and posted an apology for the "liar" comment (which i couldnt edit out) giving you benefit that maybe it was just ignorance coupled with a refusal to check facts.

But then you doubled down and posted MORE UNTRUTHS about RT's time at A&M.

In Texas, we call that lying and I thought you should be called out for it. Opinions are opinions, but dont make up "facts" to try to support them.

Anyway, thanks for listening and GO FINS!

Well that is the hope isn’t it?

That the man who was behind center in that 8 game stretch returns to a similar form in 2018.

That was the scouting report when facing Tannehill for 69 games. Shorten the field . . . pressure, pressure, pressure . . . .below average OLine . . , QB is not a Russell Wilson from a movement or an improvisional standpoint, etc.

That is the thing though, the stratagy for most QB (Great or not), is to pressure them, the way to beat Brady is to pressure him, but unlike Tannehill, they have found ways to give Brady more time. Tannehill when given average time, has succeeded.

Tannehill is not as good moving around as Wilson or Luck, but when given time, he has shown to be as effective or better then them.

Finally, I Don't know if it's really fair either way to say who has really shown more between Tannehill or Luck. While Luck has always had good targets, Tannehill had really no real talent his 1st year, and an overrated, overpaid receiver that made little effort for a few more years. Also for most of his career, Tannehill had a HC that was very confused what to do, and slowed down, even hurt Tannehill's growth, though even with this, Tannehill still each year did show some growth. To me, I see the type of QB he is, after Philbin left...and personally I like the QB I have seen.

Last edited:
Phintim, i have no problem if you want to criticize his "entire picture of accomplishments" or what have you. You know full well I was calling you a liar for knowingly making specific factual allegations of his history that were not true.

I even corrected you, and posted an apology for the "liar" comment (which i couldnt edit out) giving you benefit that maybe it was just ignorance coupled with a refusal to check facts.

But then you doubled down and posted MORE UNTRUTHS about RT's time at A&M.

In Texas, we call that lying and I thought you should be called out for it. Opinions are opinions, but dont make up "facts" to try to support them.

Anyway, thanks for listening and GO FINS!

Did you read the next post I made after the one you just quoted?
You and couple others calling me out for not knowing RT playing QB his redshirt junior 4th year 2010 at AM until the second half of the 7th game is just fine. I am cool with those facts that I didn't know, glad you fellas enlightened me.
IMO you and others want to debate that 2010 season and are saying that years season record belongs to RT not Johnson. Johnson was named the starting QB at the beginning of that season and RT was listed as a WR. Are there official rules like in baseball when a relief pitcher comes in and saves the game about who gets credit for the season?
As I stated on my original post I "believed" the records prior to RT being QB had better records. RT was not named the starting QB until the beginning of his 5th year of the 2011 season. RT owns that record. The season both before and afterwards were better records. Thats the truth.

Thats not trolling or lying either. I will leave it at that and will also add go fins.

Last edited:
phintim,

you are selecting certain fine points and acting like that's why you're being called out. In reality it's not limited to that. In fact in one of your later posts I counted four assertions made re RT and his college years and all four were false.

Im not gonna rehash it- just do us all a favor and stick to facts. To me, the more you talk, the less credulous you appear.

If you want to state you werent impressed by RT's collegiate career, no problem. But dont rewrite his history there, or what Sherman thought about his talent.

oh, andby the way, you STILL dont get the
thing right about 2010. At this point, you gotta be yanking a chain 'cause no one is that obtuse. maybe you can plow new ground with his high school career where he played some defense and TE i think- clearly they knew he had no talent at QB also!

Last edited:
I watched every game and don't claim to e some expert but coupled with watching the phins a long time we had some lucky extra bounces IMO on some of those wins. RT looked lost thru game 4 imo again and then Parkey gave us that last minute win in game 5 against those winless Browns.

Two things: You said Tannehill looked lost thru first four games and then Parkey gave Miami a last minute win week 5 against the Browns. Miami beat the Browns in week 3 and Parkey wasn't on the team in 2016. He was 32-of-45 for 387 yards in week 2 and 25-of-39 for 318 yards in week 3. He had two ints in both games but not as lost as you make it seem.

I'll sum up the thread so we can just end it here:

yes
no
yes!
no!
YES!!!!!!!
NO!!!!!!!

continue for 15 pages.

I think we can just end the thread here....pretty much sums up everything...

If you need a reference of what you will see...there are several threads with Tannehill's name in the title that will give you the posts you will see in this thread.

He's a good QB but some people here will hate on him no matter what he does. I for one will root for him all the way.

I've become convinced that it's a hard-wiring issue that transcends FH. Some folks are perversely happiest when they feel miserable.

These are the same people who would have been happiest complaining about Marino's interception record back in the day.

That is the thing though, the stratagy for most QB (Great or not), is to pressure them, the way to beat Brady is to pressure him, but unlike Tannehill, they have found ways to give Brady more time. Tannehill when given average time, has succeeded.

Tannehill is not as good moving around as Wilson or Luck, but when given time, he has shown to be as effective or better then them.

Finally, I Don't know if it's really fair either way to say who has really shown more between Tannehill or Luck. While Luck has always had good targets, Tannehill had really no real talent his 1st year, and an overrated, overpaid receiver that made little effort for a few more years. Also for most of his career, Tannehill had a HC that was very confused what to do, and slowed down, even hurt Tannehill's growth, though even with this, Tannehill still each year did show some growth. To me, I see the type of QB he is, after Philbin left...and personally I like the QB I have seen.

Well that’s just it. You give any QB “average” time, they can succeed to some degree. It is what the QB does when there “isn’t” average time that separates the bad, the average, the good and the great.

Tannehill has been a tier or three below both Wilson and Luck when it comes to improvising in the face of pressure. It has been the weakest part of his game. We can throw in all of the “his line was worse”, “his targets were worse”, “his coaching was worse”, etc stuff . . . But all of that just feeds fuel to why the average NFL fan doesn’t rate Tannehill to the level of some Dolfans. I do agree 2012 was just irresponsible with the skill positions they surrounded him with.

Tannehill came into the league with his college coach who was his offensive coordinator . . . .What rookie QB gets that type of advantage? But of course that is likely seen as a negative amongst his biggest fans. Certainly “never” brought up by them.

Now we saw major gains in this area during that 8 game stretch which should give us optimism if he is able to return to form . . . .but to say he instinctually moves around to the degree of Luck or Wilson is just plain innacurate.

Again we will see . . . .you saw his confidence grow with familiarity in the Gase offense. But it will be about 21 months since his last snap in a real NFL game and his adjustment to the speed of the game from such a long layoff combined with any lingering mental worries about the knee/rehab will all play a role in just how successful he can be in 2018.

I am not person who thinks it’s make or break for Ryan in 2018. Many people feel that way and it just isn’t a reasonable expectation. Some Dolfans think we immediate contender and I think that is typical Dolfan chest out stuff as well. Get this man through camp and the season healthy and watch him improve as the season progresses and see where the cards fall at the end and go from there.

Just going through the thread now. I would have liked to have seen a mid round QB to develop as a back up but not getting one isn't going to bug me. Everything I heard was that if Miami didn't take Baker or Rosen in round 1 (and in reality it sounded like Baker Mayfield was the only QB we'd consider round 1) it sounded like we were more likely to go with a late day 3 QB. Potentially dangerous decision, but we will see.

Now Kdawg comparing Tanny to Culpepper is fair to do even if Culpepper's knee was destroyed we just don't know how a player will react after knee surgery. I've seen some really good players become timid and I've seen some players not miss a beat. Really hard to tell. The biggest difference between Ryan and Daunte though is mental as I remember a lot of reports showing that Culpepper was a mental midget. He did not handle rehab well which resulted in him not being ready, he didn't take meetings seriously, and didn't handle being challenged well. For any argument you want to have about Ryan Tannehill, the one you cannot have is questioning his mental toughness.

With all that being said, No reports we hear really mean much until August camp and then until Ryan is actually on the field week 1.

Just going through the thread now. I would have liked to have seen a mid round QB to develop as a back up but not getting one isn't going to bug me. Everything I heard was that if Miami didn't take Baker or Rosen in round 1 (and in reality it sounded like Baker Mayfield was the only QB we'd consider round 1) it sounded like we were more likely to go with a late day 3 QB. Potentially dangerous decision, but we will see.

Now Kdawg comparing Tanny to Culpepper is fair to do even if Culpepper's knee was destroyed we just don't know how a player will react after knee surgery. I've seen some really good players become timid and I've seen some players not miss a beat. Really hard to tell. The biggest difference between Ryan and Daunte though is mental as I remember a lot of reports showing that Culpepper was a mental midget. He did not handle rehab well which resulted in him not being ready, he didn't take meetings seriously, and didn't handle being challenged well. For any argument you want to have about Ryan Tannehill, the one you cannot have is questioning his mental toughness.

With all that being said, No reports we hear really mean much until August camp and then until Ryan is actually on the field week 1.

Ryan is tough as nails physically and mentally, but that toughness certainly doesn’t negate the fact of how a player may react in game to a knee that just endured two separate rehabs from injury.

We just won’t know until September.

Hell Cutler looked great in August . . . . But You cannot simulate Sunday’s until September.

I am just not all in on this air of confidence that it’s all good in 2018. There is still a hell of a lot to overcome in 17’s return . . . Him jogging out on the field for minicamp in a very controlled environment is just an early baby step in what will be a vital 4 month process.

No that doesn’t mean I want to **** on anybody’s parade . . . But I was guarded last year while the same stuff was happening and that just won’t change . . . Not at this stage of the process.

Get this man to September 9th.

Back
Top Bottom