*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread *** | Page 31 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread ***

Well that’s just it. You give any QB “average” time, they can succeed to some degree. It is what the QB does when there “isn’t” average time that separates the bad, the average, the good and the great.

Tannehill has been a tier or three below both Wilson and Luck when it comes to improvising in the face of pressure. It has been the weakest part of his game.

This is a narrative that has continued due to the type of pressure that Tannehill has faced. In fact, when teams are forced to blitz to generate pressure (like is required for nearly every other QB in the league), Tannehill does very, very well.

IMO, it is not pressure that is the problem, it is quick pressure from only 4 pass rushers that is the problem. The same is true for all QBs. The difference is that it occurs much more often with the Dolphins than other teams. I have never seen an analysis that breaks down the type of pressure and how quickly in happens. Down and distance also plays a big role. Quick pressure on 3rd and 1 is not the same thing as quick pressure on 3rd and 10. Finally, game score plays another role. It is much easier to throw the ball away or pull it down and run with it when you are winning than when you are losing and trying to get something out of every play.

Here is an article from 2012:

https://www.thephinsider.com/2013/7/5/4494434/ryan-tannehill-under-pressure-in-2012

I also remember a comment from Todd McShay where he said that Tannehill was the best of the 2012 QBs coming out at handling pressure. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that Tannehill regressed in this area. I don't see it on the field.

I'll agree that the improvisation skills have been below Luck and WIlson, but they did improve under new coaching in 2016.

This is a narrative that has continued due to the type of pressure that Tannehill has faced. In fact, when teams are forced to blitz to generate pressure (like is required for nearly every other QB in the league), Tannehill does very, very well.

IMO, it is not pressure that is the problem, it is quick pressure from only 4 pass rushers that is the problem. The same is true for all QBs. The difference is that it occurs much more often with the Dolphins than other teams. I have never seen an analysis that breaks down the type of pressure and how quickly in happens. Down and distance also plays a big role. Quick pressure on 3rd and 1 is not the same thing as quick pressure on 3rd and 10. Finally, game score plays another role. It is much easier to throw the ball away or pull it down and run with it when you are winning than when you are losing and trying to get something out of every play.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2013/7/5/4494434/ryan-tannehill-under-pressure-in-2012

I also remember a comment from Todd McShay where he said that Tannehill was the best of the 2012 QBs coming out at handling pressure. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that Tannehill regressed in this area. I don't see it on the field.

I'll agree that the improvisation skills have been below Luck and WIlson, but they did improve under new coaching in 2016.

Here is another article that claims that the Patriots must do exactly what I am talking about.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/6/1...e-dolphins-qb-ryan-tannehill-without-blitzing

Yeah remember how the narrative changed from not being able to handle pressure to being weak against shell coverage completely ignoring the fact that four hell even three rushers were owning our line.

Last edited:

That is because Tannehill is a very smart QB who can recognize the blitz and analyze the situation pre snap. When he can see it early he does well with it . . . He did this at an even higher level in 2016.

But you are correct, that is only one type of pressure. Where improvising is most vital is when you don’t see it pre snap, it just happens, and Ryan has just not been able to be nearly as good at dealing with that type of pressure as Luck or Wilson. Now certainly the line has been awful during his tenure, they were awful with Luck and Wilson as well, it’s just a comparison in the end and In today’s NFL you gotta have the QB who can instinctually improvise and make teams consistently pay for overloading or leaving man coverage in the back, or using your legs to get positive yardage.

In 2016, especially when the 8-1 streak happened, he made major gains in that area, because previously he was very tentative and maybe it was battered wife syndrome but it was something you could not ignore when evaluating him . . . And that aspect has become a top tier element when evaluating any QB.

But everything slowed down and he was playing fast and that was extremely noticeable. People want to give Ajayi credit for 2016 but it was an improved Tannehill that kept us alive in every one of those games and Gase ran an offense to where he did not have Ryan in consistent third and long situations.

It was a very good mash up for a good stretch of football in 2016.

Here is another article that claims that the Patriots must do exactly what I am talking about.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/6/1...e-dolphins-qb-ryan-tannehill-without-blitzing

Here is another list of stats from the 2013 season. It clearly shows that Tannehill handles pressure from the blitz very well and suffers from pressure with no blitz.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/qbs-in-focus-pressure-and-the-blitz

Also from the 2013 season, Tannehill performed well throwing the ball in under 2.5 seconds.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/qbs-in-focus-time-to-throw

Another article from 2013:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...l-you-about-ryan-tannehill-dolphins-struggles

Tannehill has already been sacked 24 times, the most of any quarterback this season so far. That is a mind-numbing rate that puts him on pace to be sacked 76.8 times this season. David Carr was sacked 76 times in 2002 behind the expansion Houston Texans offensive line.

According to ProFootballFocus.com (subscription required), Tannehill has often been under pressure very quickly after the snap. He's spent 2.5 seconds or less in the pocket on 64.9 percent of his dropbacks, which is the second-highest percentage of such passes in the league.

His 4.3 seconds to scramble on average and 3.6 seconds to be sacked on average are both the sixth fastest in the league in those categories.

As mentioned above, though, it's not about his inability to get the ball out quickly. His 2.28 seconds to attempt a pass on average is the second fastest.

So add it up. second fastest to release the ball and still highest sacked by far.

Two things: You said Tannehill looked lost thru first four games and then Parkey gave Miami a last minute win week 5 against the Browns. Miami beat the Browns in week 3 and Parkey wasn't on the team in 2016. He was 32-of-45 for 387 yards in week 2 and 25-of-39 for 318 yards in week 3. He had two ints in both games but not as lost as you make it seem.
I believe and could be mistaken about that year and meant Parkey was the kicker for the Browns not phins that year and missed a chip shot that could have won the game for them. It was a close game for sure.
Appreciate clarify the week 3 win not 5.
As far as RT looking lost those first 4 weeks remember it's my opinion and opinions can differ and stats do not always display the game. For example many times at the end of games when the outcome is basically over the opposing team allowed us to dink and dunk down the field the last few minutes maybe score even. Stats look much better but the outcome is same a loss. Thanks for correcting me anyway. Hopefully RT comes out in rythem this year early spreads the ball around and we do well.

That is because Tannehill is a very smart QB who can recognize the blitz and analyze the situation pre snap. When he can see it early he does well with it . . . He did this at an even higher level in 2016.

But you are correct, that is only one type of pressure. Where improvising is most vital is when you don’t see it pre snap, it just happens, and Ryan has just not been able to be nearly as good at dealing with that type of pressure as Luck or Wilson. Now certainly the line has been awful during his tenure, they were awful with Luck and Wilson as well, it’s just a comparison in the end and In today’s NFL you gotta have the QB who can instinctually improvise and make teams consistently pay for overloading or leaving man coverage in the back, or using your legs to get positive yardage.

In 2016, especially when the 8-1 streak happened, he made major gains in that area, because previously he was very tentative and maybe it was battered wife syndrome but it was something you could not ignore when evaluating him . . . And that aspect has become a top tier element when evaluating any QB.

But everything slowed down and he was playing fast and that was extremely noticeable. People want to give Ajayi credit for 2016 but it was an improved Tannehill that kept us alive in every one of those games and Gase ran an offense to where he did not have Ryan in consistent third and long situations.

It was a very good mash up for a good stretch of football in 2016.

I agree.

In the case of Wilson, I think much of his success at improvising comes directly from it being a designed in part of their offense. He is (IMO) too quick at times to pull it down and run while Tannehill is too slow to pull it down and run. Remember, Tannehill was coached to stay in the pocket early in his career by the two headed idiot of Philbin and Sherman.

that’s just it. You give any QB “average” time, they can succeed to some degree. It is what the QB does when there “isn’t” average time that separates the bad, the average, the good and the great.

If Tannehill's problem was just not being able to succeed when from time to time when he was not getting average time, I would agree with you, but unlike most of those QBs, Tannehill is running for his life more time then getting the time. Have you seen any QB (Wilson and Luck included), where they looked good, while their O-line failed to do their job?

Tannehill has been a tier or three below both Wilson and Luck when it comes to improvising in the face of pressure. It has been the weakest part of his game. We can throw in all of the “his line was worse”, “his targets were worse”, “his coaching was worse”, etc stuff . . . But all of that just feeds fuel to why the average NFL fan doesn’t rate Tannehill to the level of some Dolfans. I do agree 2012 was just irresponsible with the skill positions they surrounded him with.

All quality QBs have parts of their games where they are better then others. Tom Brady, and many other very good QBs also can't improvise like Wilson and Luck, does not mean they are inferior QBs.

Tannehill came into the league with his college coach who was his offensive coordinator . . . .What rookie QB gets that type of advantage? But of course that is likely seen as a negative amongst his biggest fans. Certainly “never” brought up by them.

Sherman was his HC in College, but did a terrible job as a O-Cordinator in the NFL. I will not lie, when Sherman came aboard, I thought that was going to be an advantage, until he put his son in law as the QB coach, had handcuffed at what he could do, for way too long, in Tannehill's Cadence, had him almost telling defenses what was about to happen...I kind of wish now it hadn't been Sherman as his OC, at least Tannehill might have had a chance to grow.

Now we saw major gains in this area during that 8 game stretch which should give us optimism if he is able to return to form . . . .but to say he instinctually moves around to the degree of Luck or Wilson is just plain innacurate.

I am not saying that, what I'm saying is, he in different ways has been just as effective as Luck. Wilson for now is another story.

Again we will see . . . .you saw his confidence grow with familiarity in the Gase offense. But it will be about 21 months since his last snap in a real NFL game and his adjustment to the speed of the game from such a long layoff combined with any lingering mental worries about the knee/rehab will all play a role in just how successful he can be in 2018.

I am not person who thinks it’s make or break for Ryan in 2018. Many people feel that way and it just isn’t a reasonable expectation. Some Dolfans think we immediate contender and I think that is typical Dolfan chest out stuff as well. Get this man through camp and the season healthy and watch him improve as the season progresses and see where the cards fall at the end and go from there.

I agree, just don't expect Tannehill to become like Wilson or Luck back there any time soon, especially after coming back from surgery. I love what Gase was doing with him, and believe Tannehill is going to progress more and more as the season goes along. Expect to see Tannehill more in the pocket, or being moved after getting the ball, but don't expect him to take off like Wilson or Luck much, if at all.

Ryan has always done these things. As a rookie he was teaching vets the playbook. He's always been a hard worker, a grinder, and burried himself in the playbook. He does sound pretty laid back in his advice here though lol. Not that it's really a bad thing but if you're around 40 or older you remember Marino screaming at every mistake someone made and guys were scared to death to do the wrong thing.

This is so encouraging to see. I'm sure it goes on all over the league, but seeing this is very very cool

someone had to do it...

td7zd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom