*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread *** | Page 33 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread ***

That wasn't the play that lost that game. Even after that sack a failed 3rd and long and punt puts our defense in a good position to win the game.
But instead the fumble by Tannehill on next play gave the Bill's great field position and the FG for the win. They had only one good drive on offense all day long.
You have to play the percentages there. He was aware Clabo couldn't handle Williams at the point of the game. Get rid of the ball or protect it.

On the next play Clay is open over middle 2 seconds after snap. There is nobody in lane. Ryan holds ball (3.0 seconds) and gets sacked by William's again and game over.
Either throw the ball or protect it. Ryan did neither. This was early in his career and he has gotten much better. I think he was a little rattled after getting planted by Williams the play before. Understandable.

Here is the play in question:

mariowilliams.gif

https://fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2013/10/mariowilliams.gif

And while it would of taken perfect timing and anticipation to complete to Clay there . . . . You absolutely cannot fumble there. I was under the impression the Clabo miss on the previous sack did us in, but this definitely doesn’t belong in the “missed QB comeback” column . . . This was a giveaway.

But this was in 2013 and the QB has evolved quite a bit since then.

The next play 2 seconds after snap, what is he waiting for?
This is his last step back. Clay is open, timing is perfect for big play over middle and game sealing drive

Clabo gets the blame but the play is there to be made. Ryan holds it too long. Play before Ryan had no chance but this one you have to make or at least protect the ball.

p8XqWKl.png

mariowilliams.gif

And while it would of taken perfect timing and anticipation to complete to Clay there . . . . You absolutely cannot fumble there. I was under the impression the Clabo miss on the previous sack did us in, but this definitely doesn’t belong in the “missed QB comeback” column . . . This was a giveaway.

That's not a hard play for an NFL QB, Clay has 2 steps on both defenders and nobody behind. And timing was perfect when Ryan hit his last drop back step. Let it rip.

That’s not on the qb. The back foot hits he is hitching forward to look at his bottom side vertical Clay is not the primary but a secondary progression after the hitch.

He doesn’t have time to even hit the primary bottom side let alone transition to anything else.

The primary is Hartline the secondary is Clay.

That’s not on the qb. The back foot hits he is hitching forward to look at his bottom side vertical Clay is not the primary but a secondary progression after the hitch.

He doesn’t have time to even hit the primary bottom side let alone transition to anything else.

You don't work for the Dolphins so you have no idea what the primary was. Why would they throw the hitch when it was picked off earlier in the game and resulted in pick 6.
Clay was eating them up that day. The play was to Clay and it was right in front of Ryan. He hesitated and game over. Look at the other receivers. They aren't even looking back. Clay is the one looking for ball.

Give people proof he holds the ball and causes some of the sacks and they just don't want to open their eyes.

But as Kdawg mentioned we don't see this very often anymore. Early in his career it was a big problem whether you want to admit it or not. Now not so much.

mariowilliams.gif

Yea he probably shouldn't have fumbled there, too bad he doesn't get to blame all his woe's on this guy like someone I know...

usatsi_9489443-copy.jpg

Deer-in-headlights.jpeg

When you fumble at midfield under 3 minutes up by 1, in that type of game, It’s clearly on the QB. This wasn’t some jailbreak like the Douglas backpedal or even the previous sack. You can’t fumble there . . . Matt Moore rightfully gets killed for it, hell look at the Pitt playoff game. Moore wasn’t even that bad, but he had two dumbfounding fumbles, in the face of pressure, that just made it unacceptable and killed us.

Why he is not looking at Clay as the primary read there is beyond me. Looks like they were shooting for a fade option over the top to Hartline. Low percentage and high risk. Clay in man coverage for a quick pass over the middle probably seals the game, if Ryan is looking for it.

Just bad all the way round from the offense.

mariowilliams.gif

Doesn't seem like 2 seconds to me.

The next play 2 seconds after snap, what is he waiting for?
This is his last step back. Clay is open, timing is perfect for big play over middle and game sealing drive

Clabo gets the blame but the play is there to be made. Ryan holds it too long. Play before Ryan had no chance but this one you have to make or at least protect the ball.

p8XqWKl.png
He was smothered in a second and a half.
Now I agree he should've protected the ball,
but my God talk about nitpicking.

He was smothered in a second and a half.
Now I agree he should've protected the ball,
but my God talk about nitpicking.

No he wasn't. I have it up in Movie Maker which goes down to about 6 hundredths of a second accuracy.
He has throwing lane and Clay open at 1.8 seconds. He holds to 2.5 and looses the ball.

You don't work for the Dolphins so you have no idea what the primary was. Why would they throw the hitch when it was picked off earlier in the game and resulted in pick 6.
Clay was eating them up that day. The play was to Clay and it was right in front of Ryan. He hesitated and game over. Look at the other receivers. They aren't even looking back. Clay is the one looking for ball.

Give people proof he holds the ball and causes some of the sacks and they just don't want to open their eyes.

But as Kdawg mentioned we don't see this very often anymore. Early in his career it was a big problem whether you want to admit it or not. Now not so much.
I love this. You tell him he doesn't know who the primary was as he doesn't work for the Dolphins, but then the rest of your post is basically saying that Clay was the primary, that they wouldn't throw the hitch as it hadn't worked earlier etc. So, I guess you must work for the Dolphins, that's what I'm taking from all this.

The depth of the drop as in 3, 5, or 7, step is what you should be focusing on.

Not the time from when he takes the snap. They are taking a vertical shot here off a deep drop he’s working deep to (short) although in this case the short is Clay releasing off the los on a secondary vertical concept. If he doesn’t like the Hartline vertical on the hitch forward and the ball should only come out there after the hitch not on the last drop step he pivots inside to Clay down the middle.

That’s a protection failure primary problem. Deep drops require protection to allow vertical concepts to develop.

that you would have to use THAT clip is telling.... you really think that's a video of QB failure? wow!

There are other plays that ARE, but not that one. It just so happens that the end result of tjat was so critical, so let's use that one and freeze frame a pic .25 seconds before he's hit by 3 guys, and pick out the open receiver (because dontcha know the QB always knows which is the open receiver when the play starts....)

you guys are so ridiculous sometimes....​

That wasn't the play that lost that game. Even after that sack a failed 3rd and long and punt puts our defense in a good position to win the game.
But instead the fumble by Tannehill on next play gave the Bill's great field position and the FG for the win. They had only one good drive on offense all day long.
You have to play the percentages there. He was aware Clabo couldn't handle Williams at the point of the game. Get rid of the ball or protect it.

On the next play Clay is open over middle 2 seconds after snap. There is nobody in lane. Ryan holds ball (3.0 seconds) and gets sacked by William's again and game over.
Either throw the ball or protect it. Ryan did neither. This was early in his career and he has gotten much better. I think he was a little rattled after getting planted by Williams the play before. Understandable.

If he should be aware that Clabo couldn't handle Williams, what the hell were the coaches doing leaving Clabo one-on-one?

I strongly disagree with your estimate of timing on the play. He gets to the top of his drop and multiple rushers are collapsing on him. Clabo never sets his feet and is as deep as Tannehill as fast as Tannehill. The RB on the left sets too close to the QB and gets run over. He has no chance to throw that ball.

mariowilliams.gif

Back
Top Bottom