*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread *** | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread ***

who is making call for dolphins Adams. Ross or F/o
1. how will this pan out in 5 yr???
2. how many superbowl will we have???
3. what is real goal for dolphins???
4. how well will they draft to help thill17 out. it sound like he will be qb for next 5 yr. 7???

It really isn't that hard to get.

The Eagles won a SB with one of the best offensive lines in the NFL, weapons like Alshon Jeffrey and Zach Ertz, and one of the top defenses in the NFL.

Isn't it just profound that when the QB gets the ball more and is sufficiently protected, they managed to score more points than their opponents on a consistent basis? Weird!

Just another offseason fluff piece. Been seeing them for 7 years now around Tannehill and bears little fruit of actual on the field performance. Every year same crap. Tannehill has really improved as a leader, Tannehill has really mastered the offense from the year before, Tannehill is on the verge of elevating his game to playoff QBs, blah, blah, blah. Ryan Tannehill = Mr. Offseason

Is Hyde seriously contending that Ross and Gase are in the same stratosphere as DeBartolo Jr and Walsh? Miami is no where near the organization the 49ers were in the 80s and 90s. Anyone who doesn't think Montana and Young didn't make the players on the 49ers better is simply a fool. And of course Walsh made the statement the systems make the QB b/c it was his system. Look at Montana at ND and as a Chief along with Young at BYU and can see they weren't just system QBs.

What players has Tannehill elevated at this point?

LOL, and then to refer to the Rams game as Tannehill as proof of being a franchise QB. Absolutely, Tannehill was excellent the last two drives for sure. And he was absolutely horrid for over 3 quarters. In fact, the Rams dropped two of the easiest interceptions defensive players will ever get which would have made the game out of reach. I don't think leading a team to 14 points qualifies a player as a franchise QB. There's good reason limited offensive highlights were shown in the video below until the final two drives. Take a look at the back-to-back plays beginning at the 2:19 mark as confirmation for those who think Tannehill is lacking when it comes to making decisions (decided to take a loss on 2nd down rather than throw the ball away...well, at least his QB rating didn't suffer) and what good is athleticism if he's not capable of using it? Was that one or two fingers by Quinn as he was being pushed behind Tannehill that brought him down for the sack on the second play?

And until Tannehill can actually close out a season and get Miami into the playoffs (twice Miami collapsed under his leadership to close the season, 2013 & 2014) he doesn't belong in the same conversation as being comparable to Ryan and Smith.

Miami has spent most of their resources from 2011-2016 on the offense (draft, trades, free agency) and little payoff . The past two years Miami has been essentially forced to draft defense because they ignored it so long the cupboard was empty on that side of the ball.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/draft.htm

Every starter and just about every backup in the NFL can win if a team has all the pieces around them.

Shame on Miami's front office for not even trying, at a minimum, to bring in competition at QB since 2012 when they spent the #8 pick in the draft on the 56th ranked college QB, who was a 5th year senior with perhaps the best OL in the country along with NFL level WRs and was only able to lead his preseason #8 ranked team to a 7-6 record and out of the top 25.

Matt Moore and Tannehill have essentially been the same quality of QB. And I am NOT saying Moore is a legitimate starter! If Miami's goal is to build up the offensive players around the QB because the QB can't elevate the level of play of the players around him why not go with the cheaper QB so they can spend that money on bringing in better talent which Miami is clearly in need of.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TannRy00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoorMa01.htm

Even the reference about Foles is off. Both Foles and Tannehill played in similar systems as Lazor was Foles QB coach at Philly in 2013 when Foles put up the 3rd best single season QB rating of all-time at 119.2.

My view has always been that if a team does not have a top 10 QB then that team has QB problems and should be continually bringing in competition to improve that position. Miami clearly has a QB problem and has had one since Marino retired.

If Hyde was a serious journalist he would be writing an article as to why Gase is satisfied with having a QB that is not able to lift up the level of play of the players around him.

Sooooo...Our linebackers can't tackle...good thing we have a QB to lift them up!

Our offensive line can't block...good thing we have a QB that magically makes them block better!

Remember when Derek Carr was given massive props for having a great 2016? Why couldn't he just make the players around him in 2017 better and get the same results?

Derek Carr in his career: 28-34

Philip Rivers since 2010: 60-68

Drew Brees from 2012-2016: 39-40

Kirk Cousins: 26-30-1

Marcus Mariota: 20-22

Jameis Winston: 18-27

Sam Bradford: 34-45

Matthew Stafford: 60-65

Why can't these above players just elevate the play of everyone around them and have a winning career record? Gosh!

A year off of not getting slammed behind the LOS may have elongated Tannehills career b/c at the rate he was going his body would’ve been broken by 35 if not sooner. Plus Gase said Thill gained a lot of insight seeing how Gase called plays and why on the sidelines. I really do believe Tannehill will have a much better career in his thirties then he did in his 20s.

I want to believe but I've been disappointed and let down way too often to get my hopes up. This is a completely different group of guys than the 2016 playoff team so I dont know what to expect. At some point it starts to feel like will this team ever be good enough for Tannehill? And if it ever reaches to that point we probably would be fine with who ever at QB a la Nick Foles and Case Keenum.

Sooooo...Our linebackers can't tackle...good thing we have a QB to lift them up!

Our offensive line can't block...good thing we have a QB that magically makes them block better!

Remember when Derek Carr was given massive props for having a great 2016? Why couldn't he just make the players around him in 2017 better and get the same results?

Why can't these above players just elevate the play of everyone around them and have a winning career record? Gosh!
Post of the week!!!

You know, If any of these quarterbacks were in a dolphins uniform and Tannehill under center in any of their uniforms, the hard wired cawing crows among us would be whining about instead of automatically knob-slobbering them and wishing they had RT17.. Its just pathological behavior at this point.

I understand what youre saying but most of those guys are pro bowlers and put up amazing numbers despite being on bad teams. Tannehill has had OK numbers but you wont ever hear many say Tannehill was a pro bowl snub.....not even as alternate. Some of yall make seem like it's so obvious of Tannehills greatness, he isn't setting the league on fire and the rest of the league agrees with us doubters, what else are we suppose to think?

I get that Tannehill isn't bad, but why does he continue to get pass, if everyone else is replaceable? even our more accomplished players? I just dont think he has done enough to deserve a he doesnt need replacing, we dont need an upgrade at the QB position. We have continued to TRY to build around him so it's not like Tannehill has got a raw deal here.

Last edited:
I wish they would have followed more ACL surgeries in this article. An ACL for a qb is the only ones that are relevant to Ryan ability to come back and help Miami.

Brady’s injury is the only one that is relevant from this article. Brady had a good year coming back from ACL surgery as pointed out in the article, but if you look at the year before and the year after his come back season you see a big drop off in his comeback season. In 2007 before the injury he had a record year with 50tds and 117 QB rating and a 16-0 record. 2009, His comeback year, he played very well, but more INTs and a much lower 96 rating and the pats went 10-6 In 2010 he was back to pre injury numbers with 111 rating, ints went bsvk down, and the pats 14-2.

Carson Palmer tore his ACL twice and both times he had better years in his comeback season then he did previously. Phillip Rivers also had a great season after his ACL tear in 2008. I am not sure if Rivers counts as he litterly missed zero time due to his injury. Then of course you have the more severe ACL injuries in Bridgewater, Griffin, and Bradford where they have never regained the form.

I understand what youre saying but most of those guys are pro bowlers and put up amazing numbers despite being on bad teams. Tannehill has had OK numbers but you wont ever hear many say Tannehill was a pro bowl snub.....not even as alternate. Some of yall make seem like it's so obvious of Tannehills greatness, he isn't setting the league on fire and the rest of the league agrees with us doubters, what else are we suppose to think?

I get that Tannehill isn't bad, but why does he continue to get pass, if everyone else is replaceable? even our more accomplished players? I just dont think he has done enough to deserve a he doesnt need replacing, we dont need an upgrade at the QB position. We have continued to TRY to build around him so it's not like Tannehill has got a raw deal here.
He gets a pass because the team around him has been lacking in so many areas for so long, not to mention the Oline has been a disaster for so many years that it gives me a headache just thinking about it. This QB position screams of competition in the worse way, that the job has been handed to him year after year and still we talk about him having to prove himself after year 7 is a problem IMO.

He gets a pass because the team around him has been lacking in so many areas for so long, not to mention the Oline has been a disaster for so many years that it gives me a headache just thinking about it. This QB position screams of competition in the worse way, that the job has been handed to him year after year and still we talk about him having to prove himself after year 7 is a problem IMO.

Yes the team has been bad around him but it is had also been bad for everyone else too. so again why does Tannehill get a pass?

There's a few people on this board hoping he fails so that they can say they were "right". It sad that some people's ego are so big that they'd rather see the team lose in order for them to say they were right. I really hope he has a great year for those of us that actually want the team to win.

I think this is silly. I’m not a Ryan fan boy who thinks he can do no wrong, nor am I a hater who won’t give him credit when he deserves it. I am someone who wanted us to draft a QB this past year to start moving on from Ryan, but if Miami wins and Ryan makes a pro-bowl I would be a huge fan. I have told my friends I would buy a Ryan jersey if thst happens preceding the last 3 seasons. I can’t imagine a single fan that would be upset if Miami has a great year with Ryan being the epicenter of it.

What I do think is the Ryan debate is great fodder for a site like this. With out it there isn’t much to talk about in May or other months that are starved for NFL news. Or during seasons like last year when we were awful, and there was nothing good to discuss. When I joined this site,17-18 years ago, we were entrenched in the same debate over Feildler, and QB debates dominated talk The years between Jay and Ryan. As members of this site we do not offer a fair cross section of Miami fans. We are the 1% of insanely obsessed fans, and because of that I’m positive we all would be dancing in the streets side by side if Ryan or any other QB leads us to a super bowl.

Yes the team has been bad around him but it is had also been bad for everyone else too. so again why does Tannehill get a pass?

As bad as Cutler was, his honest detractors noted JT, Bushrod, and others. Essentially, a partial 'pass.' Not just Tannehill

I wish they would have followed more ACL surgeries in this article. An ACL for a qb is the only ones that are relevant to Ryan ability to come back and help Miami.

Brady’s injury is the only one that is relevant from this article. Brady had a good year coming back from ACL surgery as pointed out in the article, but if you look at the year before and the year after his come back season you see a big drop off in his comeback season. In 2007 before the injury he had a record year with 50tds and 117 QB rating and a 16-0 record. 2009, His comeback year, he played very well, but more INTs and a much lower 96 rating and the pats went 10-6 In 2010 he was back to pre injury numbers with 111 rating, ints went bsvk down, and the pats 14-2.

Carson Palmer tore his ACL twice and both times he had better years in his comeback season then he did previously. Phillip Rivers also had a great season after his ACL tear in 2008. I am not sure if Rivers counts as he litterly missed zero time due to his injury. Then of course you have the more severe ACL injuries in Bridgewater, Griffin, and Bradford where they have never regained the form.

The last paragraph is a very valid point, and it's why I am less concerned with Tannehill's knee than some others. What I don't think is brought up enough is that Ryan Tannehill's ACL never completely tore. It never went to a Grade 3 ACL sprain. But it clearly lacked the stability required to compete as an NFL QB, so he decided to have surgery. While I'm not a surgeon, it certainly seems like this was a less traumatic injury than those described above.

Back
Top Bottom