*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread *** | Page 45 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread ***

Optimism is one thing. Reality is another.

This isn’t about optimism but rather a faction that uses stats of their choosing to draw parallels and conclude Miami is set at the QB position and does not need to upgrade. I’m not sure how RT gets a free pass in this or is the anointed starter from 2012-2020, as many suggest he is locked for next three.

Eventually we have to come to our senses that we reached for a serviceable but not difference making QB due to his college coach. His heir apparent should be on the roster waiting. Just as many franchises do. And if that added pressure to perform gets it done, we trade the heir apparent. Or vice versa. You can’t stop upgrading, or trying. All the schmucks Miami has had in the QB room since 2012 and the annointed ones arrival is preposterous.

Name all the teams with the heir apparent on their roster. Here are the rules:

1. Starter is not top 10 or is an injury or age concern (>10 years in the league), that was drafted in 2015 or earlier (3 years is enough to prove it)
2. Recent draft pick by that team from rounds 1 - 3 waiting on the roster (serious competition is needed, right?)

I'll even spot you the QBs that were drafted in the first round this year (Mayfield, Allen, Rosen, Darnold, Jackson), even though all of the teams drafted the QBs to be the starter very soon.

There is 5. How many more do you think there are? The answer is 1. Pitt drafted Mason Rudolph to (maybe be the heir apparent). I'll be generous and give you Denver and Paxton Lynch as the possible heir apparent (which is obviously a joke).

10 teams have their starter that is established and relatively young (Philly, Sea, Atl, Det) or still very young (Hou, KC, Dal, Chi, LA Rams, SF). That leaves 15 teams that should (according to you) have their heir apparent on the roster and don't.

That means nearly half of the league is derelict in their duties. They have an old, injured, or underperforming QB as their starter and NO legit heir apparent. No heir apparent for:

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Manning, Luck, Dalton, Bortles, Mariota, Winston, Carr, Smith, Cousins, Newton, Tannehill

Makes perfect sense.

Drew Brees and his career have nothing to do with Ryan Tannehill.

Make sense now?
The discussion is about their first 77 games.
Is that CLEAR enough for you.

Makes perfect sense.

Drew Brees and his career have nothing to do with Ryan Tannehill.

Make sense now?

Makes sense now but it is untrue. Of course they are related. They are both NFL QBs. The statistics show a clear parallel. People have been comparing players who play the same position for decades. If that somehow bothers you, too bad.

The point of the comparison is not that Ryan Tannehill is or will be as good as Brees. It's that you shouldn't count him out yet. And as discussed earlier, Brees isn't the only guy to do it

Expecting our golden prince to do something that good qbs do is hater talk? Seriously? 7 years in should be enough time to reach one of those accolades
Was 2016 a Pam Ewing dream for you?

hqdefault.jpg

The point of the comparison is not that Ryan Tannehill is or will be as good as Brees. It's that you shouldn't count him out yet. And as discussed earlier, Brees isn't the only guy to do it
QBs that became better passers at/after the age of 30

Tom Brady
Steve Young
John Elway
Rich Gannon
Jim Plunkett
probably Dan Fouts

Optimism is one thing. Reality is another.

This isn’t about optimism but rather a faction that uses stats of their choosing to draw parallels and conclude Miami is set at the QB position and does not need to upgrade. I’m not sure how RT gets a free pass in this or is the anointed starter from 2012-2020, as many suggest he is locked for next three.

Eventually we have to come to our senses that we reached for a serviceable but not difference making QB due to his college coach. His heir apparent should be on the roster waiting. Just as many franchises do. And if that added pressure to perform gets it done, we trade the heir apparent. Or vice versa. You can’t stop upgrading, or trying. All the schmucks Miami has had in the QB room since 2012 and the annointed ones arrival is preposterous.

YOUR reality. Your perspective is every bit as biased against Tannehill as those you rail against sre fpr him. Your (and others) narrative that "you all feel that Tannehill is untouchable" is overblown. Are there extremes? Sure. Just like there are those who feel like Tannehill is no more than a backup in this league. It's insane, and lumping everyone together to that extreme is just not going to get anywhere.

I totally understand preparing for the future. I do. And it needs to be done.

Now, here are two questions, directly to you.

1) Who are you trying to convince that we need to upgrade? The front office has made it abundantly clear that RT is the starter for the 2018 season. The majority of persons on this board believe that RT is at the very least a capable starter with upside remaining. However, there are those who agree with your opinion that we are lacking at the QB position, and you can certainly commiserate with them.

2) If you don't feel that RT is locked in for the next three years, who is supplanting him? A free agent? The 2019 Free Agents are: Tyrod Taylor, Josh McCown, Teddy Bridgewater, Landy Jones, Tom Savage, and less appealing names than that. 2020 has a few marquee names, but most will be just one side or the other of 40. Draft? Maybe. But that draft looks the part of a very weak QB class. The best guy is PROBABLY Drew Lock, and I can't see him beating out Tannehill barring injury, and I don't think the Fins will be bad enough to select him anyway.

Now, I *do* think the Fins should draft someone unless David Fales morphs into the heir apparent, and I think a lot of us will be saying the name Will Grier in March of next year. But I don't see anyone taking RT's job in the next two years. Year three? Maybe.

Name all the teams with the heir apparent on their roster. Here are the rules:

1. Starter is not top 10 or is an injury or age concern (>10 years in the league), that was drafted in 2015 or earlier (3 years is enough to prove it)
2. Recent draft pick by that team from rounds 1 - 3 waiting on the roster (serious competition is needed, right?)

I'll even spot you the QBs that were drafted in the first round this year (Mayfield, Allen, Rosen, Darnold, Jackson), even though all of the teams drafted the QBs to be the starter very soon.

There is 5. How many more do you think there are? The answer is 1. Pitt drafted Mason Rudolph to (maybe be the heir apparent). I'll be generous and give you Denver and Paxton Lynch as the possible heir apparent (which is obviously a joke).

10 teams have their starter that is established and relatively young (Philly, Sea, Atl, Det) or still very young (Hou, KC, Dal, Chi, LA Rams, SF). That leaves 15 teams that should (according to you) have their heir apparent on the roster and don't.

That means nearly half of the league is derelict in their duties. They have an old, injured, or underperforming QB as their starter and NO legit heir apparent. No heir apparent for:

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Manning, Luck, Dalton, Bortles, Mariota, Winston, Carr, Smith, Cousins, Newton, Tannehill
Your flawed argument again does a snapshot in time. Just like the RT pass against the Chargers.

While there may be five right now, how many of the other 31 have drafted or acquired serious competition at the position since 2012?

The point is more than five have. Even the Patriots. Why hasn’t Miami?

QBs that became better passers at/after the age of 30

Tom Brady
Steve Young
John Elway
Rich Gannon
Jim Plunkett
probably Dan Fouts
Yeah Elway, Young Fouts and Brady finally peaked. I’m sure glad their teams were so patient.

Your flawed argument again does a snapshot in time. Just like the RT pass against the Chargers.

While there may be five right now, how many of the other 31 have drafted or acquired serious competition at the position since 2012?

The point is more than five have. Even the Patriots. Why hasn’t Miami?

It covers the teams that have done so over the last several years. Far far far fewer teams have done it.

The league doesn’t work the way you suggest. The common approach is to acquire a new starter AFTER they have decided to move on. Miami (rightfully) hasn’t made that decision.

And my counter to that is the anecdotal case of Drew Brees isn't a regular occurrence. Using it as justification for waiting on Tannehill is in all likelihood not a great idea. Furthermore, at the same age Drew Brees had accomplished much more.

It's fine, we should have a good idea what to do after this season ends hopefully. There's no reason this team can't make the playoffs.

I'm just hoping we're not sitting in stale football times of June next year after another 7-9 season status quo.

If a rookie QB that we could of had like Rosen or Lamar Jackson blows up this year and we mail in another 7-9 or 8-8 season, I don't think Ross is going to be happy.

Back
Top Bottom