*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread *** | Page 46 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Tannehill's Comeback Mega Thread ***

I can care less about drew brees and how good he is....I am ready to see how good our front office, gm Adam and thill17 is this yr. the bottom line on thill17. if you win you get respect... if you lose you don't....
Fair Enough!

Who is Brady’s heir apparent?
Jimmy G was drafted to develop and potentially take it depending on what Brady did. But Tom had his usual hissy fit.

This isnt the first time they have drafted and developed or at least tried to develop a QB beyond a 7th round or FA flier. Probably why even when down to their third QB they Bitch slapped Miami. While the Fins meanwhile panic and spend 10M on Cutler.

Total failure

It covers the teams that have done so over the last several years. Far far far fewer teams have done it.

The league doesn’t work the way you suggest. The common approach is to acquire a new starter AFTER they have decided to move on. Miami (rightfully) hasn’t made that decision.
The league works in many ways. One way it doesn’t work is ignoring the position.

Mahomes? Cousins? Rivers? Garrapolo? And others drafted while a guy was in the incumbent seat.

The league works in many ways. One way it doesn’t work is ignoring the position.

Mahomes? Cousins? Rivers? Garrapolo? And others drafted while a guy was in the incumbent seat.

Mahomes - KC had decided to move on from a 13 year veteran

Cousins - ????

Rivers - SD had decided to move on from Brees

Garrapolo - a stacked team with a nearly 40 year old QB decided to draft a QB they liked

Count me in to draft a QB when the Fins are stacked and Tannehill is nearly 40

Jimmy G was drafted to develop and potentially take it depending on what Brady did. But Tom had his usual hissy fit.

This isnt the first time they have drafted and developed or at least tried to develop a QB beyond a 7th round or FA flier. Probably why even when down to their third QB they Bitch slapped Miami. While the Fins meanwhile panic and spend 10M on Cutler.

Total failure

WHO is the heir apparent NOW? What??? could it be the great NE Patriots don't have one???????

QBs that became better passers at/after the age of 30

Tom Brady he is best qb last 12 yr
Steve Young. steve young need chance to play w 49ers
John Elway was always great in his 20 as well...he just played smarter football w terrel davis
Rich Gannon/ may be best person I knew who played good football after 30.
Jim Plunkett/ yes he was great w Oakland....
probably Dan Fouts/ he was great qb in his time.
very few qb become better after 30

Cousins - ????

Garrapolo - a stacked team with a nearly 40 year old QB decided to draft a QB they liked

San Diego had decided to move on from
Brees by April of 2004 when Rivers was drafted by Giants and traded for Eli Manning who Chargers drafted first?

If you recall AJ Smith the GM of Chargers had a major divide with Schottenheimer on this. So much so that in the last game of the 2005 season with Chargers at 9-6 but already eliminated from playoffs earlier in the day, Schottenheimer refused to back down to the GM and start Rivers but rather kept with Brees in this last meaningless game. And Brees suffered a major shoulder injury and was subsequently signed by the Saints before the 2006 season that we all remember Miami and Saban and the Fins doctors passing on Brees due to the shoulder. The injury surely expedited the exit.

But the fact remains that the Chargers certainly didn’t stand pat with Brees even in 2004 after Brees fourth year and drafted a QB early. Brees was 25 when the Chargers drafted Rivers. Brees was 26 after five years with the Chargers and moved on to Saints. Here is a classic example of a franchise with a young developing QB who went out and got another one even when the developing guy was young and the jury was still out.

Last edited:
WHO is the heir apparent NOW? What??? could it be the great NE Patriots don't have one???????
The fact is NE has drafted NINE quarterbacks in the Brady era. They never stop developing options.

Even you could not possibly think what Miami has done at QB since 2000 has been anywhere close to the model to follow.

Cousins - ????

Kirk Cousins was drafted IN THE SAME DRAFT as RGIII. By the same team. Talk about blowing your theory of how teams get QBs this was done in same year.

Mahomes drafted when Alex Smith was 32 and with four years (ended up being five years) of stats with KC that dwarf RT. So we have a KC team with a QB in Smith who is serviceable enough to win a SB with a monster supporting cast like Foles did, who STILL goes out and looks to upgrade the position. They get a kid in to see if it’s an upgrade. Work with him a year and see what he has.

Yet Miami still ignores the position by picking up Osweiler and Bryce Petty to join Fales. And here we are with no true QB developed since 2012. The RT perpetual annointment.

Last edited:
YOUR reality. Your perspective is every bit as biased against Tannehill as those you rail against sre fpr him. Your (and others) narrative that "you all feel that Tannehill is untouchable" is overblown. Are there extremes? Sure. Just like there are those who feel like Tannehill is no more than a backup in this league. It's insane, and lumping everyone together to that extreme is just not going to get anywhere.

I totally understand preparing for the future. I do. And it needs to be done.

Now, here are two questions, directly to you.

1) Who are you trying to convince that we need to upgrade? The front office has made it abundantly clear that RT is the starter for the 2018 season. The majority of persons on this board believe that RT is at the very least a capable starter with upside remaining. However, there are those who agree with your opinion that we are lacking at the QB position, and you can certainly commiserate with them.

2) If you don't feel that RT is locked in for the next three years, who is supplanting him? A free agent? The 2019 Free Agents are: Tyrod Taylor, Josh McCown, Teddy Bridgewater, Landy Jones, Tom Savage, and less appealing names than that. 2020 has a few marquee names, but most will be just one side or the other of 40. Draft? Maybe. But that draft looks the part of a very weak QB class. The best guy is PROBABLY Drew Lock, and I can't see him beating out Tannehill barring injury, and I don't think the Fins will be bad enough to select him anyway.

Now, I *do* think the Fins should draft someone unless David Fales morphs into the heir apparent, and I think a lot of us will be saying the name Will Grier in March of next year. But I don't see anyone taking RT's job in the next two years. Year three? Maybe.

You keep making good sense and it's really going to piss some people off.
I couldn't have done it better myself.

YOUR reality. Your perspective is every bit as biased against Tannehill as those you rail against sre fpr him. Your (and others) narrative that "you all feel that Tannehill is untouchable" is overblown. Are there extremes? Sure. Just like there are those who feel like Tannehill is no more than a backup in this league. It's insane, and lumping everyone together to that extreme is just not going to get anywhere.

I totally understand preparing for the future. I do. And it needs to be done.

Now, here are two questions, directly to you.

1) Who are you trying to convince that we need to upgrade? The front office has made it abundantly clear that RT is the starter for the 2018 season. The majority of persons on this board believe that RT is at the very least a capable starter with upside remaining. However, there are those who agree with your opinion that we are lacking at the QB position, and you can certainly commiserate with them.

2) If you don't feel that RT is locked in for the next three years, who is supplanting him? A free agent? The 2019 Free Agents are: Tyrod Taylor, Josh McCown, Teddy Bridgewater, Landy Jones, Tom Savage, and less appealing names than that. 2020 has a few marquee names, but most will be just one side or the other of 40. Draft? Maybe. But that draft looks the part of a very weak QB class. The best guy is PROBABLY Drew Lock, and I can't see him beating out Tannehill barring injury, and I don't think the Fins will be bad enough to select him anyway.

Now, I *do* think the Fins should draft someone unless David Fales morphs into the heir apparent, and I think a lot of us will be saying the name Will Grier in March of next year. But I don't see anyone taking RT's job in the next two years. Year three? Maybe.
There are no QBs in free agency over the next couple years. I agree with you. I also agree that Miami is all in on RT for at least this year and next barring injury. But your point solidifies my point. That we should have a drafted player in our roster from the last 1-4 years that we have developed and allows us to have options in case RT goes down (like in 2016), gets hurt again, or fails to perform to expectations. If we had done this by 2016, for example, who knows what steps in during week 15 of 2016. Possibly a kid who plays lights out and takes the reigns. Or we just roll with Matt Moore. Perhaps this kid is then even more ready for 2017 when RT falls all over his ligament. And the whole Cutler debacle is avoided.

And for everyone who says we do not have the luxury to draft a QB high or even in middle rounds due to all of the holes on our roster, well, you might just stack up the draft picks Miami has in fact drafted in the past decade and you tell me how many failed picks you find in rounds 1-4. And we can’t draft a single guy?

On the contrary one would think the Fins remaining roster should in fact be stacked by now because they haven’t even drafted at the quarterback position at any meaningful selection.

Kirk Cousins was drafted IN THE SAME DRAFT as RGIII. By the same team. Talk about blowing your theory of how teams get QBs this was done in same year.

How's that work out for Washington?

Mahomes drafted when Alex Smith was 32 and with four years (ended up being five years) of stats with KC that dwarf RT. So we have a KC team with a QB in Smith who is serviceable enough to win a SB with a monster supporting cast like Foles did, who STILL goes out and looks to upgrade the position. They get a kid in to see if it’s an upgrade. Work with him a year and see what he has.

And they still don't know. As I said, Smith has been in the league far longer than Tannehill. Sign me up for drafting a QB in the first in 5 or 6 years.

Yet Miami still ignores the position by picking up Osweiler and Bryce Petty to join Fales. And here we are with no true QB developed since 2012. The RT perpetual annointment.

What about all the other teams I mentioned? LOL.

If your comparing Tannehill vs. Brees after their first 5 seasons, Tannehill has the edge over Brees, because Brees played less games than Ryan... If you want to compare Tannehill's first 5 seasons vs Brees first 6 seasons, that brings Brees total games to 75, which is close enough to Tannehill's 77 games played for comparison...

In that scenario, they have the exact same comp% at 62.7 and the exact same number of TDs at 106, Ryan also has around 1500 more passing yards... Tannehill has 2 more INTs and twice as many sacks... They're basically the same player after their first 75 games...

https://www.pro-football-reference....toyear_2=2016&player_id2=TannRy00&idx=players

The fact is NE has drafted NINE quarterbacks in the Brady era. They never stop developing options.

Even you could not possibly think what Miami has done at QB since 2000 has been anywhere close to the model to follow.

Damn, how the hell could the Dolphins have passed on Rohan Davey, Ryan Mallett, Kevin O'Connell, and Jacoby Brissett?????

Which one of the nine is the next great NE QB?

For the record, when BACKUP QB is what the Dolphins need, I'm all for them drafting one in the middle to later rounds if that is the best choice. When they have decided a new starting QB is what they need, I'm all for them drafting one in the first round if that is the best choice.

That is how most teams do it.

Last edited:
San Diego had decided to move on from
Brees by April of 2004 when Rivers was drafted by Giants and traded for Eli Manning who Chargers drafted first?

If you recall AJ Smith the GM of Chargers had a major divide with Schottenheimer on this. So much so that in the last game of the 2005 season with Chargers at 9-6 but already eliminated from playoffs earlier in the day, Schottenheimer refused to back down to the GM and start Rivers but rather kept with Brees in this last meaningless game. And Brees suffered a major shoulder injury and was subsequently signed by the Saints before the 2006 season that we all remember Miami and Saban and the Fins doctors passing on Brees due to the shoulder. The injury surely expedited the exit.

But the fact remains that the Chargers certainly didn’t stand pat with Brees even in 2004 after Brees fourth year and drafted a QB early. Brees was 25 when the Chargers drafted Rivers. Brees was 26 after five years with the Chargers and moved on to Saints. Here is a classic example of a franchise with a young developing QB who went out and got another one even when the developing guy was young and the jury was still out.

They drafted his REPLACEMENT, just as I said teams do. And, they made the WRONG choice. Keep using failed examples to support your strategy. LOL.

I'll advocate for signing a backup that had some success as a starter for another team, then flamed out. Given a chance, maybe he helps the Dolphins make a SB run (like, Nick Foles).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom