Tannenbaum to serve a Parcells role w/ Miami to Oversee Football Operations | Page 53 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannenbaum to serve a Parcells role w/ Miami to Oversee Football Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.
For hire: a young Tom Brady, but with legs.

Requirements: Elite o-line. Elite receivers. Elite running game. Elite defense. Elite coaches.

Additional info: Would prefer to have Januaries off, we have a time share!!

This is hysterical.:rotfl1:

For hire: a young Tom Brady, but with legs.

Requirements: Elite o-line. Elite receivers. Elite running game. Elite defense. Elite coaches.

Additional info: Would prefer to have Januaries off, we have a time share!!

:fhpotd:

:rotfl1:

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 4m4 minutes ago
Hickey essentially has two bosses: Ross on 53 and draft, and Tannenbaum on all other matters.

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 5m5 minutes ago
Person with knowledge of situation tells me that the Dolphins cleared Tannenbaum's role with the NFL well before yesterday's announcement.

ha ha team doesnt even know the league rules...figures
We're good like that.

So Tannenbaum has no authority over Philbin or Hickey? What is the purpose of his job then?
He fills the vending machines.

In announcing the hiring of Mike Tannenbaum as the Miami Dolphins executive vice president of football operations it became clear that general manager Dennis Hickey would report to Tannenbaum. It was clear because the Dolphins said it was.

"General Manager Dennis Hickey will report directly to Tannenbaum and will continue to lead the personnel and scouting departments and have control of the 53-man roster," is what the team's announcement of the Tannenbaum hiring said in the first paragraph."

Tannenbaum himself said he was over Hickey.

But that, the Dolphins found out today, created a problem.

Giving Tannenbaum such power would have required the Dolphins conduct a Rooney Rule interview to at least consider filling the Tannenbaum role with a minority. They did not do that.

So the NFL today contacted owner Steven Ross to ask, well, why not.

And in answering, Ross changed Mike Tannenbaum's role on the spot.

"We have discussed the hiring of Mike Tannenbaum for a senior football position with Dolphins owner Steve Ross," an NFL spokesman told the Herald today. "Mr. Ross has confirmed that General Manager Dennis Hickey retains all of his prior authority over the draft and other personnel matters, and that Mr. Hickey will continue to report directly to Mr. Ross on these matters. Any public statement to the contrary is erroneous and does not accurately reflect the reporting structure at the Dolphins."

So now Hickey reports directly to Ross again even though yesterday the erroneous "public statement" to the contrary came from, well, the Dolphins and out of Mike Tannenbaum's own mouth.

"Coach (Joe) Philbin will continue to report to Steve Ross, and everybody else will report to me," Tannenbaum said.

Are you sure, Mike?
So Tannenbaum announces that he is Hickey's boss and a day later he not Hickey's boss. If the league buys this bull****, they're a bunch of fools.

He will still probably have authority over them just not officially.
No doubt. Ross wants Tannenbaum to have authority over Hickey and Philbin and that's why he was hired. You have to think that was very important to Ross or he'd have made Tannenbaum a GM assistant or created some position parallel to the GM position for Tannenbaum to occupy. He didn't do either of those things so it's pretty clear that he really wants Tannenbaum overseeing Hickey and Philbin. But now that we are told it was a violation of the Rooney Rule, Ross is saying that Tannenbaum isn't going to be doing the thing he was hired to do. It really makes no sense at all. It's yet another Dolphin fustercluck.

Once we fast fwd to 2016, this move will look very smart.
One positive for sure is that it might minimize the adverse affect on football operations if the GM, HC or both are fired.

I'm sure Tannenbaum, as overall head of football operations, would have the option of retaining any football operations staff, regardless of who hired them to begin with. He could then use his best judgement to find a coach or gm to fit the roster and/or coaching staff we already have. Or not.

a question on this...are u sure if they decline that 5th year option that you can in fact use a tag on that player??? seems to me this would be awfully restrictive on a player the scenario you've laid out here and the players association would have a hard time agreeing to it in a cba

I think they have to pick up the 5th year option to have the franchise tag available in 16 and 17. Not sure on that one.
Restrictive yes, but It would very very expensive for Dolphins to do this. 16, 20 and then 24 in 2017 would be the rough numbers. That is 60 million that nobody can turn down no matter how frustrated they are with the situation. Not very likely. But RT can use this to his advantage if he makes the playoffs next year and continues his improvement. Instead of accepting a dalton deal he could demand some where between dalton guaranteed money and the 60m that would occur under the option tag, tag scenario. The only reason the players ass agreed to this is because it is very unlikely and if it happens the player is well compensated which drives up the other player salaries eventually
Ryan is in a good spot that is for sure. One more improving year and he can really cash in.

Scam Newton refused Dalton/Kaepernick type deals. Whatever he ends up getting is likely what Tannehill will want. I don't see Tannehill accepting a Dalton deal either. And I don't see us franchising him at $20 million without any playoff appearances. It could get interesting.

Why does someone who runs our analytic and sports science dept. along with the budget and logistics of the team such as travel, etc. need to have authority over the HC, GM or anyone for that matter?
He doesn't. This is all going to blow over and will be an insurance policy if things go south for the team next year. It's just a parachute for Ross so the entire organization does not have to be dismantled just to change the GM or HC.

Heck, Tannenbaum has a ****load of NFL front office experience. No, it wasn't as successful as you'd like to see. But, Ross properly vetted this guy by having him consult for an entire season. It's obvious Ross liked the results of Tannenbaums consulting and decided we need the guy as part of the org. I don't see this as a big deal whatsoever. It's not like Ross can't fire the guy any time he likes.

Scam Newton refused Dalton/Kaepernick type deals. Whatever he ends up getting is likely what Tannehill will want. I don't see Tannehill accepting a Dalton deal. And I don't see us franchising him at $20 million without any playoff appearances. It could get interesting.

No doubt. These high draft pick essentially sign a 7 year contract. But it never works out that way. The always negotiate a long term second deal that spreads it out the way the team needs to.
There is one way for a player to get out. Play poorly in the 4th year and then the team doesn't execute option. Player is a free agent and signs the best 1 year prove it deal the can find. Succeed in year 5 and then cash in year 6 in free agency. Can't see Ryan tanking to get out.

Was watching a football life Marcus Allen the other day. Al Davis wouldn't trade him and wouldn't play him and basically sabotaged a couple years of his career. These salaries are chump change to most of these owners so if they want to keep you they can.

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 4m4 minutes ago
Hickey essentially has two bosses: Ross on 53 and draft, and Tannenbaum on all other matters.

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 5m5 minutes ago
Person with knowledge of situation tells me that the Dolphins cleared Tannenbaum's role with the NFL well before yesterday's announcement.

This seemed to be overlooked by everyone in the media and by fans yesterday in their rush to judge the Dolphins on this matter.

Was watching a football life Marcus Allen the other day. Al Davis wouldn't trade him and wouldn't play him and basically sabotaged a couple years of his career. These salaries are chump change to most of these owners so if they want to keep you they can.

That was pre-salary cap. Today, owners really can't afford to waste cap space if they want to be competitive.

Scam Newton refused Dalton/Kaepernick type deals. Whatever he ends up getting is likely what Tannehill will want. I don't see Tannehill accepting a Dalton deal either. And I don't see us franchising him at $20 million without any playoff appearances. It could get interesting.

as of right now he does not deserve a big extension, if they can lock him up cheap they should do it but a big deal would be foolish. He'll have to prove it next year and finally get his team over the hump. That may not be fair, it's not all on him but QBs are paid to win in this league.

Is this still the worst move ever or what? I don't even know how this team is functioning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom