Targets at 102, Rankings from Different Draft Sites | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Targets at 102, Rankings from Different Draft Sites

I agree. I think Hall eventually goes, mid 2nd. But Miami isn't hiding their thoughts on the kid. Marvin Allen led the contingent at Houston pro day.
Miami seems to be meeting with quite a few players who I think are top 75 picks. Obviously, that is likely due diligence. But maybe Grier is looking to deal up slightly?

Miami seems to be meeting with quite a few players who I think are top 75 picks. Obviously, that is likely due diligence. But maybe Grier is looking to deal up slightly?
They could use one of their 2023 third rounders to move up from #102.

That might get them close to the back of the Top 75 area. Maybe low 80's.

I just did quick mocks at PFN and PFF and was able to get into the mid 70's with #102 and the Pat's 3rd next year.

Not sure I would do that myself but it looks possible at least.

If they are willing that would bring quite a few guys into range at LB/DL or OL.

Tyler Smith, Alec Pierce, Tindall and Walker from UGA, Cole Strange, Max Mitchell, Tom, Fortner, Perrion Winfrey are all guys who could be there.

I just did quick mocks at PFN and PFF and was able to get into the mid 70's with #102 and the Pat's 3rd next year.

Not sure I would do that myself but it looks possible at least.

If they are willing that would bring quite a few guys into range at LB/DL or OL.

Tyler Smith, Alec Pierce, Tindall and Walker from UGA, Cole Strange, Max Mitchell, Tom, Fortner, Perrion Winfrey are all guys who could be there.
I'm thinking the same thing. Although it could be just in case someone falls.

Winfrey is someone I like a lot. I could see Hall, or whatever best corner is available.

I think we need RT, OLB depth EDGE, WR3, and RB. It will be impossible to get the first three with the 4 pick the Dolphins have in the draft. I think they could with some luck address two of the first three.

Dolphins Offense.JPG

Dolphins Defense.JPG

It's an different approach when your first pick is at 102. Usually around this stage of the draft you're looking at depth players and only hopefully starters. With that as the criteria I'd focus on these positions:

ILB - It's the main area on defence we could use some help. A solid pick could easily fill part of our rotation or even start
C - Good positional value here and an genuine area of need. Can compete with Deiter for the starting role.
RB - Currently running back by committee. Edmond and Mostert are solid upgrades although we still lack a feature back
OT - We still don't have a right tackle and some extra competition for that spot won't hurt.
WR - We have no real WR4 on the roster and worth the investment if the right guy is on the board.
DE/Edge - Purely depth as we're a bit light on behind Ogbah and Phillips

Playing with the mock draft sims to see who's available at pick 102. Based on the above I've seena few compelling options.

LB JoJo Domann - Versatile and a good athlete. Not necessarily a scheme fit as a Mike. More a multi-tool guy who can support the unit, particularly in coverage.
C Cam Jurgens - Kinda like a poor man's Tyler Linderbaum and a potential starter.
C Alec Lindstrom - May need more work than Jurgens but is a good scheme fit and has upside
RB James Cook - Only shows up occaisionally on the sims. If he is available at 102 then he'd be great value and could become our feature back.
LB Jesse Luketa - Big body run stopper. 8.5 TFLs last year shows he can penetrate the backfield on run plays.
OT Rasheed Walker - He's likely to be the best option on the board at this time as I don't see a lot of others falling this far. Good pass blocker and suited to wide zone for the run.

I looked at WRs and didn't see huge value at 102. Kyle Phillips was the best prospect, however he's more a slot guy and we have that fairly well covered when you add Gesicki in the mix. We have more need for a tall tarket who can line up wide, which is what Parker gave us.

They could use one of their 2023 third rounders to move up from #102.

That might get them close to the back of the Top 75 area. Maybe low 80's.
It does appear to be due diligence in case the oppourtunity presents itself. There are plenty of good prospects that could fall into that region but be gone by 102. I'm not so sure about giving up day 2 picks in 2023. Packaging 102 and 125 might be enough.

They have made big moves off season move to upgrade the roster at the expense of this year's daft, which implies the want to keep their draft capital for 2023. Makes sense as by this time next year they will know whether or not they need to get a new QB. If the answer is yes then they have the draft picks to make that play, either by selection or trade.

It's an different approach when your first pick is at 102. Usually around this stage of the draft you're looking at depth players and only hopefully starters. With that as the criteria I'd focus on these positions:

ILB - It's the main area on defence we could use some help. A solid pick could easily fill part of our rotation or even start
C - Good positional value here and an genuine area of need. Can compete with Deiter for the starting role.
RB - Currently running back by committee. Edmond and Mostert are solid upgrades although we still lack a feature back
OT - We still don't have a right tackle and some extra competition for that spot won't hurt.
WR - We have no real WR4 on the roster and worth the investment if the right guy is on the board.
DE/Edge - Purely depth as we're a bit light on behind Ogbah and Phillips

Playing with the mock draft sims to see who's available at pick 102. Based on the above I've seena few compelling options.

LB JoJo Domann - Versatile and a good athlete. Not necessarily a scheme fit as a Mike. More a multi-tool guy who can support the unit, particularly in coverage.
C Cam Jurgens - Kinda like a poor man's Tyler Linderbaum and a potential starter.
C Alec Lindstrom - May need more work than Jurgens but is a good scheme fit and has upside
RB James Cook - Only shows up occaisionally on the sims. If he is available at 102 then he'd be great value and could become our feature back.
LB Jesse Luketa - Big body run stopper. 8.5 TFLs last year shows he can penetrate the backfield on run plays.
OT Rasheed Walker - He's likely to be the best option on the board at this time as I don't see a lot of others falling this far. Good pass blocker and suited to wide zone for the run.

I looked at WRs and didn't see huge value at 102. Kyle Phillips was the best prospect, however he's more a slot guy and we have that fairly well covered when you add Gesicki in the mix. We have more need for a tall tarket who can line up wide, which is what Parker gave us.
Miami has met with Thornton. What's your take on him. Really skinny build, but sub 4.3 at 6-3.

Like you list.

Miami has met with Thornton. What's your take on him. Really skinny build, but sub 4.3 at 6-3.

Like you list.
If he's there in the 7th and they haven't used an earlier pick on the position he may be worth a shot. His speed is insane with good hands to go with it. Not sure he'll develop an NFL body unfortunately.

I don't have an issue with his body tbh.

I think it's interesting he's that fast considering what strengths he has in other aspects of his game. You get a tall guy who is that good in contested catch situations, and he's also sub-4.3? It really makes you think. He's going higher than people imagine. There's zero chance he's available to Miami in the 7th.

Back
Top Bottom