Team building theory 2021 edition. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Team building theory 2021 edition.

What do you do with #3 if no trade down available?

• QB

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • WR

Votes: 62 45.3%
  • T

Votes: 66 48.2%

• Total voters
I read an article, that I cannot find now, which said that Slater from Northwestern is also a target of Cincinnati so he might push some WRs down the board too. I was a bit skeptical because I thought Cosmi was generally considered the second best OT this draft.
I know Daniel Jeremiah really likes Slater. He has him ranked above Sewell, but that is a minority view.

The preference is, obviously, to trade down and, ideally, pick up another pick in this draft and a 1st next year.

If that's not possible, I'm taking Sewell or Parsons. I just don't like the value of a WR at 3 even though I'd love to see Smith in aqua and orange.

If I sit at 3 and take Sewell/Parsons I'm absolutely adding one or two WRs, a TE and a RB in the next handful of picks.

The preference is, obviously, to trade down and, ideally, pick up another pick in this draft and a 1st next year.

If that's not possible, I'm taking Sewell or Parsons. I just don't like the value of a WR at 3 even though I'd love to see Smith in aqua and orange.

If I sit at 3 and take Sewell/Parsons I'm absolutely adding one or two WRs, a TE and a RB in the next handful of picks.
If you dont like the value of WR at #3, the idea of an off LB there should make you sick....

I agree with this POV. If Miami feels they've gotten 2/3 of the equation settled with Tua at QB and Jackson at LT, WR then becomes the top priority at #3? Weighting the differences between Chase and Smith will eventually give way to who Miami may select between the two. The issue that must be answered is who separates better to give Tua the room he needs to maximize his skill?

As for pick #18. RT may still be on the table, especially considering how the OL failed from the Denver game on. The pressure allowed from the OL was relentless. Miami needs to figure out, very quickly if they need to continue to address that issue. Do they hold off until day two? Do they move Flowers to the bench? Move Kindley to LG and Hunt to RG and draft a more pass protection applicable RT?

As we all know offensive and defensive units performances can vary from season to season. If Miami feels they can live with what they have on defense, based on the Improvement in 2020, they may decide to attack the offense in the draft at the 3 weakest spots WR, RB and OL? Question becomes, when and where?

All these questions need to be answered. If not, It's back to the drawing board with potentially a completely different set of F/O personnel.

Lastly, never discount the potential of Miami selecting another QB at #3. You just never know, what is going on in their minds, now that they've secured the #3 pick.

Agreed with everything! I know one things for sure if they do end up picking a QB @3 then you better be absolutely sure that QB is worth it and specifically you're almost certain they're brining more than TUA considering all the factors. You can't draft a Qb that high on he "maybe" better. You better have some serious convictions that he's going to come in and win that startin job. Secondly, You better have a clear plan in place with what to do with TUA if that happens. The commentary and noise is going to be unbearble!

There's so little sample on TUA and especially with a healthy team surrounding him that i find this possiblity highly unlikely.

And Detroit. Unless they view it as a tear down year, which they probably should. Stafford should be sold to the highest bidder.

I know the Bengals and Eagles would run the card up for Sewell, and then likely Parsons. I suspect those two players will be 1. and 2. on Miami, Atlanta (if not in QB market), Cincy and Philly's board. Which leads me to believe the Eagles in aren't a prime spot for their needs. Taking a WR again or TE isn't going to save Dougy P and Howie Roseman's jobs. I see lame ducks in Philly at QB, Coach and GM so I expect the Eagles to do SOMETHING unorthodox. Smith or Chase will likely appeal to them though and Reagor shouldn't be the reason they don't upgrade their WR spot this year. They desperately need OL help though.

Right now I'm liking the Vikings spot at 14 as a possible trade up for a WR. Just ahead of NE at 15. 9-14 has a log jam of teams that have invested in WR's already, with the exception of the NYG at 11. Moving up to 10 is a possibility I guess but I really don't want to part with pick 50 to do so.

We gotta pick up something of value to move from 3 to 4.

If Allen Robinson doesn't sign with Miami (I am not pounding the table for him anyway), we should REALLY hope he lands with the Giants. Really, Really, Really, hope he lands with the Giants.
Good points and well thought out beyond the top 10.

I think if there's one player Miami has to have, then you take him at #3 and don't look back.

I don't believe that will be the case, but being a defensive minded coach and loving linebackers maybe Parsons.

If you dont like the value of WR at #3, the idea of an off LB there should make you sick....
Normally I'd agree but I think Parsons is a special talent and a game changer at LB who would immediately elevate our defense. I think he's the best LB prospect to come out in quite some time. I don't think you can say the same about any WR in this year's draft. And I don't mean that as a knock on Smith/Chase, because I think they're both going to be very good NFL WRs.

I would take the sure handed, contests for catches and physically dominant Bateman at 18 and Friermuth at 36

Yep...sure handed, possession type recievers ,that run in the 4.5s, is exactly what we need to take things to the next level. As if we don't have enough of those types of recievers already.

/sarcasm

#1 trade down acquire extra picks.

#2 draft Sewell

#3 draft Fields
I am looking at the 2021 draft with the 2022 draft and Tua in mind. First, I want Tua to succeed and really like the kid. Worried about his health, longevity, and if he can play at an elite level. If he doesn't show growth and play winning football or injuries occur we need to have ammo in 2022.

#1: If we have a trade partner at 3 and if we receive a 1st 2022 pick in exchange, then I would trade down.
#2: No trade partner we take Sewell.
#3: BPA at 18 and find additional receivers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Yep...sure handed, possession type recievers ,that run in the 4.5s, is exactly what we need to take things to the next level. As if we don't have enough of those types of recievers already.

/sarcasm
Sure we do

what a joke of a response

Sure we do

what a joke of a response
We need a speed merchant that can catch more than a cold. Not a slot guy either, a wideout.

We need at least one guy that can take the top off by making a safety commit early in route development.

That has nothing to do with what we already do, or don't have.

Could AW fill that void for a year, or two? Maybe, but even though I have no problem with Wilson, I'm not counting on it enough to bypass that glaring need.

Last edited:
No 1 ability is availability
I think what he means is this type of WR would be redundant on this particular group... When your QB is timing and accuracy driven, your overall offense benefits more from separation and YAC than on big targets and catch radius... It makes sense, if your QB is accurate and on time, he doesnt need the size and catch radius, at that point, the offense benefits more from SEP and yards after the catch...

I think what he means is this type of WR would be redundant on this particular group... When your QB is timing and accuracy driven, your overall offense benefits more from separation and YAC than on big targets and catch radius... It makes sense, if your QB is accurate and on time, he doesnt need the size and catch radius, at that point, the offense benefits more from speed and yards after the catch...
I understand

Ae don’t have this WR on the roster we have a bunch of pretenders Williams Hollins and a Parker who plays once in awhile

Back
Top Bottom