That Was Pass Interference | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

That Was Pass Interference

Since the game thread discussion was closed, and it's a hot topic, get your hot takes in here.

My thoughts:

1. It was clearly pass interference that should have been flagged.
2. The NFL was correct to flag it for review.
3. The NFL was correct to overturn the lousy officiating on the field.
4. The Jets' win helps Miami significantly in terms of draft position, but more importantly...
5. I think this makes it much more likely that Adam Gase returns as Jets head coach in 2020.

Pretty happy with the outcome. Sam Darnold stunk up the joint like a bum for 60 minutes, the Jets clearly suck and got outplayed overall (IMO), but Miami got the all-important loss in the standings and reaps the double benefit of a division rival now being less likely to fire its boob of a coach.

Thumbs down

The most frustrating thing is that it was incorrect application of a bad rule. That's doubly bad.

If they had called PI on the field, I'd have been upset -- not so much at the call, but of the situation and when they choose to call it. But what occurred here are things under league control.

Since the game thread discussion was closed, and it's a hot topic, get your hot takes in here.

My thoughts:

1. It was clearly pass interference that should have been flagged.
2. The NFL was correct to flag it for review.
3. The NFL was correct to overturn the lousy officiating on the field.
4. The Jets' win helps Miami significantly in terms of draft position, but more importantly...
5. I think this makes it much more likely that Adam Gase returns as Jets head coach in 2020.

Pretty happy with the outcome. Sam Darnold stunk up the joint like a bum for 60 minutes, the Jets clearly suck and got outplayed overall (IMO), but Miami got the all-important loss in the standings and reaps the double benefit of a division rival now being less likely to fire its boob of a coach.

Gaaaah, yer right. I just hate losing! I think we deserved the win today. But yeah, we also deserved to lose with missing that tackle after catch and the PI. Thanks for restoring a little perspective, so I can begin to rub a little silver lining salve on the wound.

I was majorly multitasking at the time but it looked pretty ticky tac to me. Probably PI by the letter of the law which is what matters. I think I was more upset because they reviewed it after a no call. I don't think you are wrong, OP.

Can someone help me understand why this was reviewed for possible PI when there was no challenge flag? The Jets were out of timeouts so they couldn’t challenge. New York calling in a review bailed them out!

I understand it was within 2 minutes but if they can review for PI, why not review for holding or any other penalty??

To the letter of the law it’s almost always contact but if it doesn’t affect the play it should be let go. needham had good coverage and was in position

Can someone help me understand why this was reviewed for possible PI when there was no challenge flag? The Jets were out of timeouts so they couldn’t challenge. New York calling in a review bailed them out!

I understand it was within 2 minutes but if they can review for PI, why not review for holding or any other penalty??
There’s no rule that allows holding to be reviewed or challenged. My thing is, yeah it was PI. But the refs didn’t see (or they didn’t feel it was) it during live play but because it was under 2:00 mins they decide to review it and fix a mistake. What happens if this happens at 2:01? What’s happening is the refs are fixing their missed calls against Miami, the same stuff they let go for teams like New England nearly every damn play.

There was a lot of iffy calls today, one of the Jets TDs and the Roughing the passer calls were actually pretty bad.

You agree because it fits your tank agenda. If the call is too close to make on the field, there needs to be indisputable evidence to create a call that was never made. The new rule was for egregious non-calls. This was not egregious and literally stole the game which was essentially won at that point. The inconsistency in making these calls gives the NFL the appearance of fixing games. Today did nothing to change that and actually made it worse.

Not at all. Several years ago, when the CFL made penalties reviewable, I said it was a great idea and repeatedly called for the NFL to implement the system. I've been pretty consistent on this point for years. The fact that it's still done in flawed fashion (i.e. inconsistently) doesn't change the fact that it's a step in the right direction, and that in this particular case, the correct call was made thanks to review.

"Integrity of the game" demands that obviously blown calls that are critical to the outcome of the game be reviewed and potentially reversed. Yes, the outcome today was good (IMO) for the Dolphins, but that doesn't change the fact that I am 100% in favor of this going forward. On a critical play, if there's clearly a penalty, review it and let someone look at multiple angles to determine if the officials screwed the pooch.

The fact that the Jets played like crap, looked like crap, and are crap, but still won this meaningless game that benefited neither team in the long run to win? I'm pleased with that outcome.

Normally it would upset me and I wanted the Dolphins to win. Yet the reality is they played tough and they outplayed a more talented team for most of the game. When the draft comes around hopefully the Dolphins are picking in the top 5 and losing this game to the hated Jets will be the one benefit from losing today.

Back
Top Bottom