The 2007 Atlanta Braves Thread | Page 27 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2007 Atlanta Braves Thread

I would rather keep Salty instead of having Teixera for just one season. I think we need pitching much more than we need hitting.

I don't like Livan Hernandez. He can eat up a ton of innings. But he isn't going to give you a good ERA. Garland has been shaky the last few years. Contreras had a great stretch last year, but has been shaky since. I'm not sure I would give up Salty for any one of them.

But if its a younger pitcher like Dontrelle Willis or Ian Snell, I would be more likely to pull the trigger. Though Snell threatened to kill someone who he thought was stealing signs from him about a week ago. So that worries me about him. And I don't know where Willis is in his contract. If he has a few years left, I would definitely do it. But if we are just getting him for a year, I'm not so sure. He would demand a ton of money to stay.

ESPN is reporting that we have traded Saltalamacchia and some pitching prospects for Mark Teixera and a few pitching prospects. They said Salty and one of the pitchers were our two top prospects. Teixera is set to make arbitration next year and is a free agent the year after that.

I guess this means they thought we needed another bat. If he is healthy, Teixera definitely should provide that. He hits for power and a good average. And he is a switch hitter. How is this lineup: Harris, Renteria, Chipper, Teixera, Andruw, McCann, Francoeur, Johnson
That sounds pretty good. But I kind of wish we could have gotten a pitcher. I think the back end of the rotation is pretty shaky. And everyone could use another arm in the bullpen. But I guess they figured that the Mets and Phills have such good offenses that they probably need to make sure they can slug right along with them.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/...t_id=2118481&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

With Scott Boras serving as his agent, it seems unlikely that the Braves will be able to sign Teixeira to a long-term deal before the conclusion of the 2008 season.

Sounds like we get him for a year and a half?

Also we get:
While getting Teixeira, who has averaged 38 homers over the past three seasons, is the centerpiece of the deal, the Braves will also greatly benefit from the presence of Mahay, who will become their only left-handed reliever. The 36-year-old southpaw has limited opponents to a .236 batting average in 28 appearances this year. Left-handed hitters have batted .250 against him.

Sounds to me like either a) They think we have a real chance to go deep in the playoffs
b) There is alot of pressure in atlanta to get the division back.

Either way right now I'm not feeling this deal.

i dont know about the long term effects of the deal, but for the rest of the season, im sure you guys can push the mets/phils whoever is atop the nl east.

The Teixeira deal is now official as well as the Dotel deal.

Steve Phillips made a good point on Baseball Tonight about the Teixeira deal. He said this gives us a little bit of leverage in dealing with Andruw Jones because we now have a big bat in the middle of the lineup to replace Andruw's. Now after this season, instead of losing a cleanup hitter, we replace our cleanup hitter with 1st baseman that fills a huge void there and ensures that cleanup spot for an already good lineup. So this may take a little of the sting away, at least offensively, if we lose Andruw.

As far as the Dotel deal, Davies was not pitching well at all this year. And with Gonzales out the whole year, Dotel gives us another pretty good arm to go along with Soriano and Wickman. If Wickman struggles, we can probably put Dotel in the closer spot. If they all pitch well, you got three solid guys that can work the 7th, 8th, and 9th inning.

Add three solid innings from your bullpen to a lineup that might be the best in the NL now and we should make the playoffs. We are going to have Jeff Francouer and Kelly Johnson batting 7th and 8th. Those guys could hit at the top or middle of a lot of orders in the league. With the Mets' injury problems and the Phills lack of pitching, there isn't much reason we should miss the playoffs.

thanks for the update about dotel. I am pretty excited about this team but long term, well lets hope they can make some moves next offseason to solidify us for the long term.

anybody know the length of Dotel's remaining contract? im guessing it isn't long since he was available.

I guess I'm OK with this trade, but I would have liked to see another viable arm in the starting rotation.

that is the problem, there just wasn't anything worthwhile available pitching wise, and too many teams were in the market.

i just heard a local sports radio guy say that Cormier has been lights out in four rehab starts in the minors, so he may be able to start in a pinch for the Braves.

but Chuck James has been pretty solid over the last month or so too.

You guys think you'll be able to sign Tex long term? He did play college ball at GT so maybe he'll be happy returning to ATL.

You guys think you'll be able to sign Tex long term? He did play college ball at GT so maybe he'll be happy returning to ATL.

I'm not sure. I don't know what the market is for 1st basemen. Maybe with the money we are currently paying Andruw Jones we could resign him. And I don't know about Dotel's contract. I too would assume its a short deal considering he was injured fairly recently.

I think I'd rather keep Tex and let Andruw walk. Yeah, he's a gold glove CF but he can't hit worth squat. The only thing that concerns me with renegotiating with Tex is Scott Boras

Back
Top Bottom