The Book On Ryan Tannehill (parts 1 And 2) - Comprehensive Scouting Report | Page 27 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Book On Ryan Tannehill (parts 1 And 2) - Comprehensive Scouting Report

Didn't know which Tannehill thread to place this, so I randomly selected one. I'm willing to bet that over the next five seasons Tannehill out performs four of the five quarterbacks selected in the first round this year. In other words over the next five seasons I think four of the five teams that select a qb will look back and say they would have rather had Tannehill over that time frame. Likely in five years at least two of the teams that select a qb in the first round will still be in the market for their qb of the future.

giphy.gif

Which one would you trade straight up for Tannehill?

Probably none of them. And your point?

Great. So they got it done too. Awesome.

Theres the problem. Most teams see the fact that they made the playoffs despite those QBs play. But to you its good enough. I think Tannehill is good enough to make the playoffs with a good team. But not year in year out. Only elite QBs do it year in year out. Excuse me if I want that. I want a high level QB. Tannehill is not that.

To boot we have to watch "lesser" Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyrod Taylor break our backs with an improvised QB run when our physically gifted QB is on the bench flipping pictures trying to figure out which receiver he should have thrown to.

Oh, so Miami's inept defenses of the last 3-5 years are now Tannehill's fault too? Right, bring up other QBs playing well against us in a QB argument. Who did those QBs go up against, again? Oh, the defense? Right. That's it!

Was it Sherman who 'forbid' Tannehill from scrambling? Trying to teach him to stay in the pocket. I remember times he'd go through progressions, pull the ball down to scramble, seemingly change his mind, and stay in the pocket. We've all seen times he had a 1st down by scrambling, but stayed in the pocket. I agree, he took too many sacks, but I wonder if Sherman is still in the back of his mind.

Yep, just like you wouldn't put a tiger in the ocean and expect it to hunt, don't tell your mobile QB not to scramble.

Don't bet, I don't think we should speculate. I would say, in games we won in 2016, Tannehill played great.

The funny thing this is not even true lol.

Just off the top of my head, Tannehill stunk up the joint in a home wins against Cleveland and the Jets. And he was pretty pedestrian overall against Pittsburgh too ( to be fair he did make a big-time improvisational throw on 3rd and medium to Landry to ice that game).

No, he does not play great when protected, that's conjecture.

Just because it is conjecture doesn't mean it is not true.

How about this? From 2014 - 2016 he has an excellent record and very high passer rating (don't feel like looking them up) when his starting OL (as selected at the beginning of the season) is intact.

Probably none of them. And your point?

Theres the problem. Most teams see the fact that they made the playoffs despite those QBs play. But to you its good enough. I think Tannehill is good enough to make the playoffs with a good team. But not year in year out. Only elite QBs do it year in year out. Excuse me if I want that. I want a high level QB. Tannehill is not that.

Good luck with that wish......

Yes QB wins. He is the field general. It's his team. It's not left tackle's team. You'll be the first to praise him when things go right, but last to blame him when things go wrong.

I actually try to blame who is at fault rather than have a predetermined rule without any basis in reality. You should try that.

Blake Bortles, Tyrod Taylor, and Marcus Mariota led their teams to the playoffs too, just last year.

And Prescott, Wilson, Winston, Carr, Stafford, and Flacco did not.

But when Tannehill in '15 had nothing to work with, he gets blamed while the above usually get a pass, although Winston has sucked almost throughout,
Stafford has been largely a disappointment, Wilson, like Tannehill has demonstrated that he can't work miracles, Carr is overrated and Flacco is Flacco. Prescott revealed himself, without Zeke to be the 4th round QB in which he was selected.

So to your point that not the best QBs make the playoffs, you're right, and there are reasons why beyond their own contributions.

And Prescott, Wilson, Winston, Carr, Stafford, and Flacco did not.

But when Tannehill in '15 had nothing to work with, he gets blamed while the above usually get a pass, although Winston has sucked almost throughout,
Stafford has been largely a disappointment, Wilson, like Tannehill has demonstrated that he can't work miracles, Carr is overrated and Flacco is Flacco. Prescott revealed himself, without Zeke to be the 4th round QB in which he was selected.

So to your point that not the best QBs make the playoffs, you're right, and there are reasons why beyond their own contributions.

They make the playoffs year in year out with consistency. My point remains. Missing the playoffs here and there is different then making the playoffs here and there.

Essentially the same line? DIfferent LT, different LG, different center for 2/3 of the games, different RT for half of the games, different RG for 1/3 of the games.

I agree it can be both but in 2017, Wilson attempted 553 passes and Bortles attempted 523 passes. Even with the sacks added as attempts, your statement that WIllson dropped back way more than Bortles is simply not true.
Fair enough on all fronts. Wilson dropping back only 30 more times than bortles last year is clear evidence of my eyes lying to me.

They make the playoffs year in year out with consistency. My point remains. Missing the playoffs here and there is different then making the playoffs here and there.

Andy Dalton made the playoffs every year from 2011 to 2015 (giving him credit for a 10-3 record in 2015). He did it with an average passer rating of around 84 in the first 4 of those years.

Drew Brees missed the playoffs in 4 of 5 years from 2012 to 2016.

Was Dalton the better QB over that span?

Back
Top Bottom