The Book On Ryan Tannehill (parts 1 And 2) - Comprehensive Scouting Report | Page 28 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Book On Ryan Tannehill (parts 1 And 2) - Comprehensive Scouting Report

Andy Dalton made the playoffs every year from 2011 to 2015 (giving him credit for a 10-3 record in 2015). He did it with an average passer rating of around 84 in the first 4 of those years.

Drew Brees missed the playoffs in 4 of 5 years from 2012 to 2016.

Was Dalton the better QB over that span?
Okay. Point taken. Compete for the playoffs with consistency is what I guess I should have said

If you miss the point then that's the problem with your argument. It's not just Tannehill's fault.
Where did you see I said that? Maybe thats the problem with your argument. Youre arguing against something no one is saying.

I’d like the doubters of Tannehill to name another QB with bottom of the league pass protection, and first time HC over the first 4 years of a career that played better than Tannehill.

I’d like the doubters of Tannehill to name another QB with bottom of the league pass protection, and first time HC over the first 4 years of a career that played better than Tannehill.

I can name one that I feel performed better

Cam Newton.

First time coach Ron Rivera
Previous year 2-14 team is last in passing yards with 50 sacks given up.
Newton's escape ability reduced that a bit to just under 40 per game over his first 4 years which is bad pass protection.

4 year stat comparison is really close with both players have slight edges in different areas.

https://www.pro-football-reference....toyear_2=2014&player_id2=NewtCa00&idx=players

I give Newton the edge for the 21 more TD's produced as well as the Pro Bowl selections during that time.

Next.

I can name one that I feel performed better

Cam Newton.

First time coach Ron Rivera
Previous year 2-14 team is last in passing yards with 50 sacks given up.
Newton's escape ability reduced that a bit to just under 40 per game over his first 4 years which is bad pass protection.

4 year stat comparison is really close with both players have slight edges in different areas.

https://www.pro-football-reference....toyear_2=2014&player_id2=NewtCa00&idx=players

I give Newton the edge for the 21 more TD's produced as well as the Pro Bowl selections during that time.

Next.

Debatable. I think the Dolphin's pass protection was worse. Significantly higher sack rate. But, it isn't really worth debating. As you said, the comparison is really close. Also note that their records are very similar.

Now let me ask you this:

Should the Panthers be looking to replace Newton? If not, why not?

The kicker is that even if you don't agree with my opinion of Tannehill, you should at least be fair and consistent in your evaluation and that, in many cases, does not happen on this forum. And THAT is one of my main beefs with the anti-Tannehill crowd.

I mean Newton has led his team to a Super Bowl and has several playoff wins. Something Tannehill has yet to accomplish.

I mean Newton has led his team to a Super Bowl and has several playoff wins. Something Tannehill has yet to accomplish.

Doesn't change the fact that under similar conditions as Tannehill, he put up similar numbers and few on this forum would have called him out to the degree that they call out Tannehill.

I think the last two seasons demonstrate that even Newton can't be half running back, half quarterback. It takes a toll on his performance as a passer.

Lost in the venting is the thanks A4E deserves for trying to assess Tanne within the context of the Dolphins' offense. Thank you A4E! I'm looking forward to the next one in the series.

If I don't get to any of the posts, my sincerest apologies. I normally make time to go through my threads like these on any platform and answer any questions. But there's a lot of weeding that has to be done in this one.

When someone brings up the team record, I just move on to the next.

Weekly reminder that the Saints went 7-9 three consecutive years with first ballot HOF quarterback Drew Brees under center. His passer rating was over 100 in two of the three years and 97 in the other.

Does it bother anyone that we effectively dont have an OC? Guys get fired!
The only guy staking his claim to that position is Gase.
If you were the OC, would you feel like there is a good chance you’ll get promoted next year to a HC in the NFL on account of elite QB, or would you feel it inevitable that you will get fired next year with this QB?
What is more likely?

Debatable. I think the Dolphin's pass protection was worse. Significantly higher sack rate. But, it isn't really worth debating. As you said, the comparison is really close. Also note that their records are very similar.

Now let me ask you this:

Should the Panthers be looking to replace Newton? If not, why not?

The kicker is that even if you don't agree with my opinion of Tannehill, you should at least be fair and consistent in your evaluation and that, in many cases, does not happen on this forum. And THAT is one of my main beefs with the anti-Tannehill crowd.

The sack rate is very similar over the first 4 years. 32 less sacks has more to do with Newton taking off and making a positive plays with his legs rather than freezing and being sacked. Newton is bigger and rarely gets sacked on first contact like Ryan.

Yes, Carolina should be looking to replace him. Newton has done well enough to earn second contract like Ryan. So you keep playing them and hope they ascend to top 5. But in the mean time you start looking for young replacements that can be as good or better. Carolina hasn't drafted a QB since Newton and last time Derek Anderson filled in it didn't go to well. Sound familiar. You need 2 good QB's to cover your season IMO.

The sack rate is very similar over the first 4 years. 32 less sacks has more to do with Newton taking off and making a positive plays with his legs rather than freezing and being sacked. Newton is bigger and rarely gets sacked on first contact like Ryan.

I think it has more to do with offense design and coaching. Newton was a one read and run QB for the first 4 years. Tannehill was coached to stay in the pocket.

Yes, Carolina should be looking to replace him. Newton has done well enough to earn second contract like Ryan. So you keep playing them and hope they ascend to top 5. But in the mean time you start looking for young replacements that can be as good or better. Carolina hasn't drafted a QB since Newton and last time Derek Anderson filled in it didn't go to well. Sound familiar. You need 2 good QB's to cover your season IMO.

At least you are consistent. I can respect that.

The league doesn't agree with your philosophy. I can understand looking for an adequate backup but not a replacement. There are 27 teams with QBs outside of the top 5. If 1/3 to 1/2 of those are still developing, that leaves somewhere between 13 and 9 teams each year that would be looking to replace their starter. That just doesn't happen. There aren't enough quality QBs coming into the league each year for that. There may be 5 or 6 in good years and 0 in bad years.

I think it has more to do with offense design and coaching. Newton was a one read and run QB for the first 4 years. Tannehill was coached to stay in the pocket.

Never understood that philosophy. You got a guy who can run and pick up some key first downs each game and you tell him not to.

The league doesn't agree with your philosophy. I can understand looking for an adequate backup but not a replacement. There are 27 teams with QBs outside of the top 5. If 1/3 to 1/2 of those are still developing, that leaves somewhere between 13 and 9 teams each year that would be looking to replace their starter. That just doesn't happen. There aren't enough quality QBs coming into the league each year for that. There may be 5 or 6 in good years and 0 in bad years.

I think the league does agree with my philosophy but like you mention the demand for good QB's is bigger than the supply coming out of college. I'm sure 1/3 of the league would like to upgrade their QB but have to balance the cost to move up and take a chance at getting better.

But these teams all followed my philosophy.

Seattle - Signed Flynn to big contract, but still drafted Wilson - Won Super Bowl
Denver - Signed Peyton Manning to big contract, but still drafted Osweiler - Won Super Bowl
Eagles - Had Vick but drafted Foles anyway - Eventually helped them Win Super Bowl
Patriots - Had Brady but drafted Garropola - Won Super Bowl
Rams - Had Foles but drafted Geoff - Made playoff for first time in 13 years
Eagles - Had Bradford but still drafted Wentz - Won Super Bowl
Texans - Signed Osweiler to big contract but still drafted Watson - Jury out but expect Texans to rise.

That's almost a fifth of the league that followed that strategy and it paid off.

Back
Top Bottom