The Fatal Repeat Mistake

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by AJ Duhe, Dec 27, 2017.

1. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...ir-talented-roster-underachieved-this-season/

After I read the above article, a chill came over me as I realized that this front office is vulnerable to repeating the same off-season mistake from a year ago. Our roster as currently constructed has proven that it has deficiencies that can't be overcome through an offseason of development. Is another offseason going to make a veteran like Kiko Alonso better in coverage? Will another offseason improve Pouncey's degenerative hip condition? Will another offseason improve the coverage skills of Reshad Jones and TJ McDonald?

The Dolphins' brass might believe the talent underachieved this year. I would argue that they played exactly to the level of expectation. The plain truth is that upgrades are needed.

where's th'fish and johngarry like this.
  2. Finland

Finland Pro Bowler

There is not much new to say is there?

Soca casual likes this.
  3. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

Kiko Alonso and Andre Branch are exactly who I thought they were. They didn't underachieve this year they overachieved last year. Cutler is exactly who I thought he was despite the Tannehill haters thinking we got better at QB and Julius Thomas is exactly who he has been since he left Denver and went to Jacksonville...a washed up TE who lost his speed and athleticism. Timmons is also exactly who the Steelers thought he was when they released him.

No the team didn't underachieve this year, they overachieved last year and this dumb front office thought that, this late in their careers for most (including Maxwell), these guys were trending up when it was just a deviation from the norm. Shouldn't be surprising though...this front office, mainly Tannenbaum, is too busy patting himself on the back and congratulating himself to realize this roster is far from a super bowl contender...and that should be the ultimate goal, not the playoffs.

4. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Ya there is no doubting upgrades are needed and they are as clear and obvious as ever.

We are going to have to suck it up for another year with Kiko, McDonald, Timmons and Branch on defense before we can likely move on from them. Doesn't mean we aren't still going to add young talent in the draft.

By default we will be better next year with a healthy 17 returning. You want there to be some kind of veteran presence even if a bunch of guys aren't in your long term plans.

While Mike Pouncey certainly didn't play well by his own standards, the fact that he's made it through the season is an accomplishment. We need better play and at a cheaper rate so I don't know how exactly that will play out. Maybe he takes a pay cut and we see how 2018 goes. Surely 2 interior OL will be drafted.

We know Julius Thomas is gone, we know at least 1 TE will be drafted likely in the first 3 rounds.

You have enough young talent on defense to skate by until the 2019 draft where we will likely be replacing a bunch of veterans on that side of the ball.

5. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Tannehill would have improved the QB play....the O-line needs help....we need a big time tight end and some more linebacker help.

Not as drastic as you make it sound.

The NFL is a very even league...the difference is a fine line between winning and losing.

6. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I feel like the linebacking group needs to be a complete re-do. I am excited to see what Raekwon McMillan can do, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lawrence Timmons is let go or traded for a low draft pick. Kiko Alonso was much better last year in the middle, but the team should find a long-term solution there. He just misses too many tackles.

For the life of me, I can't understand the continued dumpster diving for offensive lineman. The team needs a fix here, or it will be the same kind of season in 2018.

jtoomuch, DolfanDuBbZ~ and artdnj like this.
  7. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I mostly agree with you except for one thing. Branch getting 5.5 sacks is not really a big deal. That's just average and that's what he is, average. This year he's just been even below that. I have no confidence on our FO to fix the team because they don't have a real vision as to what needs to be done. All they do is patch holes here and there but there's no real foundation. On top of it they lied to us when they said they wanted to build the team thru the draft. You don't build thru the draft by giving away draft picks for WR's that you don't even need

Ozzy rules!!

8. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 A True Fan

And we will have a year of experience for 3 young starters on Offense. And 4 on defense 5 with Black ice and that doesn’t even count the draft. And if we are in dime I’d expect Tank to come in unless he wins the starting job.

9. datruth55

For his career he has 23.5 sacks in 80 games...that averages out to 4.5 sacks per season...5.5 sacks last year was above his average.

Danny likes this.
  10. datruth55

Pouncey, by his own standards, will tell you he had his best season. He has said as much and the team keeps telling him he has. Expect him back.

Interior OL has been an issue for at least 6 years and the team refuses to draft interior OL or they flat out suck at evaluating the position with who they do draft. Don't expect them to draft two...I'm sure they expect Asiata to challenge for one starting spot regardless of whether or not he's been good in practice or close to being cut, like it was reported during the preseason. I will be surprised if they draft an interior OL in the first 3 rounds.

TE has been an issue for this team for about a decade. Don't expect them to address it either. This team ignores, ignores, ignores...the positions most fans find in obvious need of upgrading the team notoriously ignores or tries to patch with a cheap free agent. Never actually fixing the problem long term and often only trying to fix a bulging cancerous tumor with a band aid. They probably still think Duarte has a future in the NFL or that Derby, with an offseason with the team, will be a much better TE next year and probably have him penciled in as starter. David Njoku would have been a better pick than Charles Harris...sorry to all the Harris fans out there but he had zero effect on any game this year. A true seem threat TD might have changed the entire dynamic of the offense.

I don't trust this front office, they haven't earned that.

PJack, djphinfan, BSQ and 1 other person like this.
  11. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

They over estimated the talent level of the F/A signings in everyone from Mario Williams, Andrea Branch, Jermon Bushrod, Jay Cutler, Lawrence Timmons and TJ McDonald. They all were not worth the contracts they received. As for Kiko, well they made a commitment to a guy who’s play in 2016 over inflated his true value. Misguided spending will load your roster with players who are better fits as backups. Paying for too many over the hill veterans, has hurt the franchise and the play on the field has been too inconsistent to justify doing the same thing again in 2018.

joenhre likes this.
  12. datruth55

Alonso was a restricted free agent. The smart move would have been to sign him to a 1 year tender of $4 million and make him prove that he can stay healthy and that 2016 wasn't a fluke but, as I was telling someone in VIP, the front office got burned by not signing Olivier Vernon the year before he became a free agent to an $8 million/year deal and they thought Alonso was going to blow up and price himself out of Miami so they jumped the gun and got burned...again.

TraderJoe and rickd13 like this.
  13. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Excellent points. The offense would have been set from the skill position perspective. The defense hasn’t been been impacted by Charles Harris. But Njoku would have made a difference on offense immediately.

14. hoops

hoops exited stage left Hammered

the Alonzo extension was a year early...should have played at the first round tender...he's not as bad as he's made out to be here given what he plays with around him at lb but he's also not top 5 money worthy

should have played at the tender...cause now Miami unless it's gonna eat his money for a year or bench him on that large number (which they wont do cause they like the player anyways) can't get weak side top 15 pick value in the draft at lb...and roquan smith probably would provide that...although considering how many teams always need lbs there's no guarantee he'd get to us anyways...run in the 4.5s and test well and play every down and that's how you get drafted in the top 15 at lb

15. datruth55

And it would be wise for everyone to remember it when the team tries to feed you some bull crap line about taking BPA in the draft.

16. datruth55

The classic Dolphins mistake. Don't draft a potentially better player because we already have a guy we like at the position. The Dolphins front office motto...let's not get better anywhere until we absolutely have to.

joenhre and rickd13 like this.
  17. hoops

you don't think they drafted bpa off their board at position of need according to the needs they identified in the last draft? I sure do

Kdawg954 and rickd13 like this.
  18. hoops

that's true but teams do it all the time unless they are contenders and can "afford to" if you get what I mean...that's how teams at times end up with studs late in round 1...cause other teams are forcing needs at positions that are trash...

get tannehill back and a lot of these problems will minimize for Miami...like they do for a lot of teams with competent qbs...

19. datruth55

They drafted for need...not BPA. And I already know their board would not lineup with what I would have.

20. hoops

that's not the point...what you or I would do is irrelevant...I would have taken taco Charlton with my top pick...I give them credit for one thing that a lot of teams struggle with and even evaluators on this board they know how to id scheme fit and personnel skill set match with their draft picks...every one of those top picks and even the dts fit the scheme like a glove

they didn't draft 34 olbs and make em de's they didn't draft undersized mike to force into a poa fill role they drafted scheme fit corner and gap penetrating dts

21. datruth55

Pretty sure Charles Harris was identified as a guy that can play OLB in the 3-4 and some even said he was a better fit for 3-4 OLB. He's a tweener...like Vernon but 15 lbs lighter and a lot less strength. These are Bill Parcells front office guys who for some reason like undersized DEs.

22. hoops

harris was best on college tape with a hand in the dirt...not in a 2 point

he needs more lead in the pants no doubt...250 isn't gonna do it but that's what the offseason program is for...

come back 260 next year of rock

rickd13 likes this.
  23. datruth55

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/03/20/nfl-draft-scouting-reports-charles-harris-missouri

https://walterfootball.com/draft2017OLB3-4.php

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/charles-harris?id=2558001

Read more at http://www.draftutopia.com/outsidelinebackerrankings.html#o7YIUeSKAh9IMDs2.99

24. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

The problem that still continues to be a problem, is the inability to defend the middle of the field. It’s reared it’s head once again this season. Miami may be in prime position to address this short coming by drafting a LB or FS that can cover the TE or RB at #12. I’m watching Florida State play it’s bowl game and can’t help thinking what Darwin James could do as the FS in a Dolphins uniform. In spite of his subpar season this year, which may be due to his recovery from his injury last year, he’s still the type of player who’d fit the defense and give the team what it lacks. But I’m not sure they value his talent they way I do or many others do. This F/O needs to fix this issue, if 5he defense is going to improve.

25. hoops

yeah I don't agree with those assessments that harris would make a better 34 olb...his hand belongs in the dirt in a 3 or 4 point

I think cause of how he moved in lb drills at the combine people started running with 34 olb...I just didn't see it on tape...

rickd13 likes this.
  26. Danny

1- He'll be most likely gone before our pick
    2-our FO/Coaching staff seems to like playing two SS than one and one and with the money invested already I don't see them drafting a FS unless they trade Jones

That's our FO for you

Ozzy rules!!

rickd13 likes this.
  27. hoops

tampa looks like a fit for a top 10 pick safety.

28. Danny

BTW, we probably would have been better off with two FS's then with two SS in there. Will all the cover problems we've had over the middle taking the FS out of the euqation was not a bright move at all. With two FS's in there you'll lose that run support but at least you might be able to cover better. But I'd prefer we had a SS and a FS like every freaking that has won the super bowl ever did.

Ozzy rules!!

joenhre likes this.
  29. randomname

randomname A True Fan

It horrifies me that we have these delusional halfwits running the team. Either they actually believe the crap they're selling and don't belong anywhere near the NFL, or they're just feeding Ross these lies to convince him that the problem is solely with Gase for not achieving anything with their "talented" roster so they deserve to keep their jobs longer.

Tannenbaum is a cancer and the longer he is here, the harder it will be to fix the team when he is finally excised from the organization.

Vaark, BobDole and rickd13 like this.
  30. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Your right. But to add to your point, ideally you’d want a true FS/Centerfielder, who can cover, along with at least one possibly two LB’s who can drop into coverage and cover TE’s and RB’s. This would take away the advantage every team who faces Miami has. But teams like NE and KC who feature the TE could still present issues for a defense, just look at the final NE drive against Pittsburgh and what Gronk did on that drive, hard to stop.

TheWozz likes this.
  31. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Charles Harris can't be the best player on anyone's board. He flunked the metrics based on his combine which means he is not a special athlete and has low upside. The tape means next to nothing in comparison. That edge rusher metric formula is one of the most dependable things out there. Yet we have tried to ignore it twice in Jordan and Harris.

The problem with this franchise is it continues to force scheme fits instead of using logical means to identify great players. Scheme fit is merely the most low level version of happy adjuster out there. Scheme fit rationalization lends itself to Crowd Ever After.

Jones needs to be alongside the line of scrimmage. Use any excuse to keep him there. I can't believe we wasted almost the entire season with him deep in coverage so often, just like Grant was wasted on the bench until the final games.

DolfanDuBbZ~ and djphinfan like this.
  32. Perfect23

Perfect23 A True Fan

The single thing that has hurt this team more than anything the past few years is inability to draft decent O lineman, I will admit I am not the greatest Tannehill supporter in the world he has had it rough. Failing to draft decent lineman meant wasted picks on players this team should have drafted. Charles Harris I am not willing to give up on yet I liked him better than I liked Dion Jordan. But struggling to win a starting spot over Andre Branch is disturbing so he needs to get his rear in gear Corddrea Tankersly showed some upside and i think he will be corner no.2 besides Xavien Howard, I don't think he is going to be a pro bowl corner but I do think he will be able to hold his own. I think Raekwon McMillen gets starting job no matter what so I don't see them going LB in the first round this year, If harris turns out to be a good player and Asiata can at least who improvement and not turn into another Bily Turner this draft my have turned out to be a good one.

33. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

You could argue that the dumbest FO in the NFL is between us and the Browns.

34. phinfan3411

phinfan3411 pofo mofo

Basically I would have to agree. If not that low, certainly lower third. Again this is why I cringe when all the Tannehill haters blame him. Tannehill, at worse, is a symptom of our real problem. In actuality he's one of the better draft picks our front office has made.

35. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

We actually drafted the player to address this in Raekwon McMillan in the 2nd round. However, bad luck with the ACL injury smashed that in the first preseason game. Raekwon will be back next season and we will see if he can take his great Ohio State success to the NFL. His other strength is his natural leadership. He's the future Defensive leader of the team (just needs to stay healthy).

36. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I think dolfan91 was talking more about pass defense. That likely wouldn't have been McMillan's strength. I agree with him. We still have a weakness at the LB position, and a FS should also be considered to boost coverage on the backend.

37. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Miami clearly went BPA on their board last draft. They had Branch, Wake, Hayes in the fold, plus they throw Suh some looks at DE and Fede they like in that last DE spot and plays specials.

Harris was Miami FINALLY showing some foresight (hell they did that with Tunsil as well) in the draft. Both picks need better 2018 campaigns but the selections were solid.

And DE once again could be the top position on the board when they pick and Miami could certainly tap back into that.

TheWozz likes this.
  38. Manning

Manning Scout Team

So if Harris is weak and slow what got him drafted so high? All mocks I saw had him going around there or even higher. And word was that Atlanta wanted to trade up for him so..

39. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

Miami should've just drafted Foster..A lot of our defensive woes would be getting better..

3 times in the last decade Miami passed on All WORLD level LBs..Although the McMillian pick made up for the forster pick, he's a damn good LB too.

40. warren4prez

warren4prez Well-Known Member

No doubt Foster is a good LB but there was some red flags about him which scared off 30 other teams, Miami didn’t want to take the risk and that I can understand.