The Fatal Repeat Mistake | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Fatal Repeat Mistake

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...ir-talented-roster-underachieved-this-season/

After I read the above article, a chill came over me as I realized that this front office is vulnerable to repeating the same off-season mistake from a year ago. Our roster as currently constructed has proven that it has deficiencies that can't be overcome through an offseason of development. Is another offseason going to make a veteran like Kiko Alonso better in coverage? Will another offseason improve Pouncey's degenerative hip condition? Will another offseason improve the coverage skills of Reshad Jones and TJ McDonald?

The Dolphins' brass might believe the talent underachieved this year. I would argue that they played exactly to the level of expectation. The plain truth is that upgrades are needed.

Underachieving? Overachiever? I know there's debate, but only those with agendas deny Miami would have won one more game with 17. Cutting penalties in half would have been one more. A TE or 2 OGs maybe one more. This team has talent. 3-4 big holes, but talent

He's got a couple of off field issues there, I really didn't know about those........
It's a frustrating team because they do have legitimate star talent:
Suh Wake Jones Landry Drake look to be stars. The return of RT17, upgrade interior OL & LB, development of younger players- this is a 10 win team next season.

The Dolphins always take the SAFE pick. Charles Harris was the safest pick on their board. The one time they deviated from the safe pick they got royally crushed by the Dion Jordan mistake. They'll make the safest pick next draft again but if they would show some vision and some courage they might be able to get some future stars in Dolphin uniforms. The Miami Heat have Pat Riley, he does a brilliant job right under Steve Ross's nose here in S. Florida. Wouldn't that make him draw some comparisons? Pat Riley, Hall Of Fame Player and Coach, winner of Championships as a player, the Architect of cool championship teams with LeBron and Wade etc. vs Mike Tannenbaum-Atty/ Agent-didn't play sports and never won anything and the odds are towering against him ever being a champion at anything. GM is a VERY important position, in many ways, it's the whole ball game. Why would Ross look at dozens of candidates and of them all pick this New York Attorney who is absolutely NOT A FOOTBALL GUY. Why would he do that? I just can't figure it.

All I know when it comes to players with off field issues especially with weed you don’t gamble with your 1st rd pick.

The Dolphins always take the SAFE pick. Charles Harris was the safest pick on their board. The one time they deviated from the safe pick they got royally crushed by the Dion Jordan mistake. They'll make the safest pick next draft again but if they would show some vision and some courage they might be able to get some future stars in Dolphin uniforms. The Miami Heat have Pat Riley, he does a brilliant job right under Steve Ross's nose here in S. Florida. Wouldn't that make him draw some comparisons? Pat Riley, Hall Of Fame Player and Coach, winner of Championships as a player, the Architect of cool championship teams with LeBron and Wade etc. vs Mike Tannenbaum-Atty/ Agent-didn't play sports and never won anything and the odds are towering against him ever being a champion at anything. GM is a VERY important position, in many ways, it's the whole ball game. Why would Ross look at dozens of candidates and of them all pick this New York Attorney who is absolutely NOT A FOOTBALL GUY. Why would he do that? I just can't figure it.
and beyond that, we hired as "Czar" a would-be capologist because he would have accepted Woody Johnson's demotion if prospective replacements hadn't expressed misgivings having him still in the building. And of course mediocre Grier proved useful as a Rooney Rule prop lackey! And that's our braintrust ladies and gents!

I sat close to Tannenbaum the entire Bill's game. I know that you can't judge a book by it's cover but if I tried I'd conclude that this guy never did a hard days work in his life. He doesn't inspire me in the least. I've known plenty of guys like him from New York and I'd further conclude that he's lucky that Ross sees value in him because I really don't. C'mon Steve bring in a real Football guy, let him help right the ship, and this ship need righting.

You guys saw the year end presser. Did Tannenbaum even remotely do or say anything that would lead you believe that he is the right man for the job? I know, I'm preaching to the choir.

I'm not even sure they believe that themselves, as opposed to telling the fans (and owner!) what they want to hear. Tannenbaum might be mediocre at other things, but he excels at that

You could argue that the dumbest FO in the NFL is between us and the Browns.

I don't get the hate for the Browns FO. They were going with a long-term plan and amassed a tremendous amount of future draft value, while still adding good talent to the roster. What's Hue's excuse, that he didn't have a QB? We won 6 with a washed-up Cutler and he couldn't even win one? They fired the wrong guy over there

I thinks the Browns hired the right G.M. and also needed to fire the coach too. Dolphins could have had that DE/LB from Auburn Carl Lawson in the 4th round last year. I know he has had past injuries at auburn that made him fall in the draft but come on. He had 8.5 sacks this year.

The Fins didnt hire Coughlin.
Great coaches make great franchises.
Jacksonville was horrible and now they are in the AFC championship game.
That should have been the Fins.
Wash rinse repeat

I thinks the Browns hired the right G.M. and also needed to fire the coach too. Dolphins could have had that DE/LB from Auburn Carl Lawson in the 4th round last year. I know he has had past injuries at auburn that made him fall in the draft but come on. He had 8.5 sacks this year.

Great example. Carl Lawson fit both criteria that I always emphasize. He was an extremely highly rated recruit who fell down the ladder for various reasons, like the injuries that you mentioned.

But never forget where these guys came from. I always laugh when posters here or elsewhere scoff at the recruiting rankings coming out of high school. It can be incredible clarity, as opposed to tape fixation on merely here and now. The kids who have been the alpha dogs all their lives have considerable opportunity to return to that level, while the players who soar up the rankings in the late going -- but have never been considered special previously -- are huge candidates to level off and be sucker investments.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/02/defensive_end_carl_lawson_has.html

Also, Carl Lawson fared well in the athletic testing last spring. Not at the very top but far superior to Charles Harris. Tables like this can make you sick. We're drafting a sub-50% SPARQ guy in the first round. Then we wonder why his final step is not explosive. Yeah, shocking development:

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/edge/

I'll continue to insist we should look for later round gems from the major schools, the programs that stockpile talent annually. Top 5-10 programs in the recruiting game every year. Naturally not all of those players will pan out big and be atop the draft boards. Some of them are going to be sitting there like Godchaux and Lawson, waiting to be scooped up. If we keep looking at small schools and moderate programs we'll remain Crowd and deserve it.

My approach will have many failures. But when it does connect the pay off can be substantial. The Dolphins continue to waddle along with an approach that almost guarantees the roster will be stacked by ho hum players who are touted here but nobody else particularly cares about. It was numbing today to watch the Jaguars with so many elite players, and in a gorgeous I formation style with awesome permutations, either physical or clever. The Browns have similar potential if they make some wise choices in the next year or two. Pieces are already in place.

I’m watching Case Keenum lead his team in a 2 minute drill to win a divisonal playoff game. I saw Mariota get a playoff victory last week. And Nick Foles has a chance to play in the Super Bowl. You have teams with below average QB’s in the playoffs because the teams drafted well. They don’t ignore defense or OL play. And those draft picks play out their second contracts with the teams that drafted them. We aren’t going to be one of those teams until Tannenbaum is gone.

Case Keenum or Nick Foles will be playing in the Super Bowl. Let that sink in. Proof that good drafting can get you there; pay attention Tannenbaum.

Case Keenum or Nick Foles will be playing in the Super Bowl. Let that sink in. Proof that good drafting can get you there; pay attention Tannenbaum.

Drafting? Ummm, yeah, but team talent can get an average QB deep in the playoffs. Draft or FA

Back
Top Bottom