The future of FA signings in Miami | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The future of FA signings in Miami

Minnesota is actually in not terrible shape for 2021. The Eagles and Saints are going to have to do total teardowns. Pittsburgh and Atlanta are also in a world of hurt, and Kansas City will have some work to do. Those are some pretty good free agents to peruse.
Saints at -$95M in cap space right now per Spotrac. Wild, man. What on earth were they doing with that Taysom Hill contract this offseason?

Minnesota is actually in not terrible shape for 2021. The Eagles and Saints are going to have to do total teardowns. Pittsburgh and Atlanta are also in a world of hurt, and Kansas City will have some work to do. Those are some pretty good free agents to peruse.
Thx for correcting me. I got the wrong team. It's the Philadelphia Eagles that are the other mess.

The abundance of high draft choices and our relative draft position due to our record will not last forever. We may not sign as many FA's in the near future but there will come a time that we will have to consider doing that to stay competitive. Hopefully not for awhile though. The biggest thing that Spike pointed out is that the GM and HC are in lockstep for the kind of player they covet. Not all will work out but at least they will be in agreement.

For example, the Saints could cut Drew Brees, Malcom Brown, Kwon Alexander, Ryan Ramczyk, Marshon Lattimore, Nick Easton, Terron Armstead, and Janoris Jenkins...and they'd still be $27.5 million over next year's salary cap. Trading Jenkins would get them $1 million closer. And that doesn't include any of their 21 free agents or 2021 draft class.

Philadelphia has no pathway to balance its books via cuts, so they're going to have to put guys like Darius Slay, Lane Johnson, Brandon Brooks, and Javon Hargrave on the trade block...and perhaps get only 3rd day draft picks in return due to the contracts the acquiring teams will have to assume.

Atlanta could close a big chunk of its deficit by trading Julio Jones (especially after June 1), Dante Fowler, and Grady Jarrett. Ricardo Jones is a likely cut.

Pittsburgh is going to have to cut several veterans and get creative on a T.J. Watt contract extension if it's going to have a chance to sign any of its free agents (Dupree, Smith-Schuster, Conner).

And that's just four teams. Having that many players of that caliber on the market when only five teams have the spending power to take on multiple big contracts is going to suppress the prices on the other free agents. There will be some smart buys for us in the second wave of free agency and trades should we want to play.

Anybody else think talented free agents around the league will be now lining up to be a part of this resurgence? Having been through something similar for many years in New England will undoubtably serve us well as we assemble the right pieces moving forward. Between playing for Coach Flo and with one of the youngest rosters in the NFL on the upswing, the future is so bright it makes me feel like 1983 all over again.
If I'm a football player and I'm putting my body on the line every week, I want to at least eventually play on a winner. So, yes I believe players will want to come here.

I also remember, prior to the salary cap, so many of the top free agent signing with SF or Dallas. NE has benefitted greatly with players signing for less to play with them.

I think the opposite is true.

I don't see us adding/overpaying top tier FAs. It is a recipe for disaster cap wise. I think the big $ Jones signing was the outlier, but it was also key, when paired with Howard, to realizing the vision Flo had for this scheme.

No, I think mid level role fits are more likely, and also the correct way to go.
Right. I don't think Miami will overpay, but they could potentially get players for less like the Patriots have been able to do. Bounce back types, players who won't break the bank.

With the economic affects of Covid 19, are not truly known yet, at this point. Its almost impossible to foresee F/A being the same as in the past. 2021 already has a cap at $175m a huge decrease from 2020. Teams will be scurrying to become cap compliment.

Unless something unforeseen happens, I'm not sure many teams will be able to spend very much, if any at all.

Yet there are a handful of teams who are sitting pretty. Players will most probably gravitate towards the payday.

But if you listen to the players who signed with Miami, it appears this is a popular destination due to the environment, culture and coach. Miami will get its fair share of players. Question is, Who?

Miami is now back to being in position where nothing is counteracting against the positives of playing in this awesome city.
Who wouldnt want to be here? It's freakin MIAMI FLA!
No clownshoes coach or idiot FO. No 'bad blood'.
Just a team on the rise in the best location in the country.
We actually get to say 'NO' to good players cuz better ones are coming.
Aw Yeah!

With the economic affects of Covid 19, are not truly known yet, at this point. Its almost impossible to foresee F/A being the same as in the past. 2021 already has a cap at $175m a huge decrease from 2020. Teams will be scurrying to become cap compliment.

Unless something unforeseen happens, I'm not sure many teams will be able to spend very much, if any at all.

Yet there are a handful of teams who are sitting pretty. Players will most probably gravitate towards the payday.

But if you listen to the players who signed with Miami, it appears this is a popular destination due to the environment, culture and coach. Miami will get its fair share of players. Question is, Who?
I think the covid/cap ramifications are probably overblown.

The projected cap is just a formula, defined by ownership and the CBA, that can be adjusted.

It isn't really in the best interests of most owners, and none of the players to have a drastically reduced cap from one year to the next.

Yes, profits will drop for this season, but these owners aren't hanging on by a shoesting financially, to the point that they want to destroy thier franchise. They have made decisions, and given contracts based on past projections.

If the cap drops by 25 percent, so do player incomes, and they aren't going to like it either.

I envision some type of prorated cap, spreading the losses over a period of time. The league will address the problem in the offseason, during the owners meetings.

I think the covid/cap ramifications are probably overblown.

The projected cap is just a formula, defined by ownership and the CBA, that can be adjusted.

It isn't really in the best interests of most owners, and none of the players to have a drastically reduced cap from one year to the next.

Yes, profits will drop for this season, but these owners aren't hanging on by a shoesting financially, to the point that they want to destroy thier franchise. They have made decisions, and given contracts based on past projections.

If the cap drops by 25 percent, so do player incomes, and they aren't going to like it either.

I envision some type of prorated cap, spreading the losses over a period of time. The league will address the problem in the offseason, during the owners meetings.
I believe it was resolved before this season. The cap floor is 175M with reductions spread over 3 years.

We should stay away from big money contracts unless it is a generational talent.

We should focus on middle of the road guys ready to take the next step. Or proven studs for middle of the road money.

I believe it was resolved before this season. The cap floor is 175M with reductions spread over 3 years.
As far as I have read, that was the proposal, but has not been approved by the NFLPA. Doesn't surprise me that the owners start off with a low ball offer.

All I'm saying is there is wiggle room. I don't care either way, as it sits now, a lower cap is probably to the Phins benifit. They can deal with it easier that many other teams.

Back
Top Bottom