The Great Quarterback Debate | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Great Quarterback Debate

Do you know what other team decided it was a good idea to put the QB decision off until the following year because they believed that QB class was better? The Buffalo Bills. They traded out of their pick which turned out to be Patrick Mahomes. By trading down they also passed on Deshaun Watson. I'll bet they wished they didn't put off that decision an extra year.

Tannehill
I think that's too big of a risk. But, it would allow the team an entire season to fix the offensive line and put talent around the quarterback position.

I’m with you. 2021 is too risky but we do need a QB somewhere in this draft to bring in fresh blood.

We need our picks to bring talent to our lines. Moving up for a ransom is a mistake IMO. But if the price is reasonable, I’d certainly listen.

When it comes to drafting a QB, the only advice I can give to the fins is the same as what Napoleon Dynamite would give. "Just listen to your heart".

It's rumor season in the NFL. Some have merit, some don't. But, one thing looks for certain the Miami Dolphins need a quarterback of the future, unless you think Josh Rosen is the answer. A little closer look at possibilities.

Free Agents (partial list)
Prescott
Brady
Brees
Bridgewater
Tannehill

Rumor is that Dallas is seriously considering trading Prescott and signing Brady. Apparently, Prescott has already turned down $33 million per year. He's interesting. Would the Dolphins anti-up and what would it take? Personally, I think the Cowboys end up signing Prescott. I still think Brady ends up in New England, but the LA Chargers rumors keep persisting there. Although you have to admire the fact that he wins, I don't think Bridgewater moves the needle enough. Brees isn't leaving New Orleans.

Trades
Newton
Trubisky
Dalton
Carr

Not much out there in the way of trades. Newton, minus the personality, might be worth pursuing depending on the cost. Carr to New England rumors are interesting. I think with his dink and dunk approach he could be a perfect fit there. Not a fan of Trubisky or Dalton.

Draft
Burrow
Tua
Herbert
Love
Fromm
Others

The draft is where it's at. Lots of rumors lately about Burrow perhaps not wanting to play in Cincinnati and Stephen Ross being interested. Tua to Miami has been rumored for more than a year. Herbert's stock appears to be rising after the Senior Bowl. Love is drawing some comparisons to Patrick Mahomes. Fromm is somewhat the forgotten man.

Most likely, the Dolphins would have to trade up for Tua. If they stand pat, there's also the possibility that teams jump them for Herbert. The Raiders, Chargers and Panthers are a few teams that could be looking to trade up for a quarterback.
We need to add Jacob Eason to the list of draft QB's. He has the best arm-talent in the draft. This draft is about flavors. Best from the neck up, Fromm, no doubt. Best execution, Burrow. Best leader ... difficult to say but probably Tua. Most overall potential, Herbert. Best arm talent, Eason. And that doesn't even include guys like Love whom some people think has tremendous potential, or athletes like Jalen Hurts. Lots of flavors ... no Andrew Luck at the top though.

It will be interesting to see how many of those guys go in the 1st round, and which 2nd rounder becomes a star ... because I think at least one will.

Brady's got more left in him than anyone we will get.
Newton was the league MVP and took the team to the SB. That's what we need.
If Newton is healthy, I wonder what Carolina will want in a trade. It could be less than trading up for Tua. Something to at least think about.

We have a gun slinging veteran QB now at a pretty good price, no need to bring in a high priced stop gap. You go all in, in this years draft who ever that may be.

Gunslinger with a total gimp arm
No way it survives another year

Do you know what other team decided it was a good idea to put the QB decision off until the following year because they believed that QB class was better? The Buffalo Bills. They traded out of their pick which turned out to be Patrick Mahomes. By trading down they also passed on Deshaun Watson. I'll bet they wished they didn't put off that decision an extra year.
I know here in the Bay Area the Patrick Mahomes debate has come up quite often. The 49ers took Soloman Thomas at #2 overall and he's been close to a bust. Switch quarterbacks in the super bowl and I think SF wins it.

We need to add Jacob Eason to the list of draft QB's. He has the best arm-talent in the draft. This draft is about flavors. Best from the neck up, Fromm, no doubt. Best execution, Burrow. Best leader ... difficult to say but probably Tua. Most overall potential, Herbert. Best arm talent, Eason. And that doesn't even include guys like Love whom some people think has tremendous potential, or athletes like Jalen Hurts. Lots of flavors ... no Andrew Luck at the top though.

It will be interesting to see how many of those guys go in the 1st round, and which 2nd rounder becomes a star ... because I think at least one will.
Miami has consistently talked about leadership from the quarterback position. I think that is why Josh Rosen isn't considered a viable option, unless this is the best smoke screen ever.

As a fan, it's hard to know where these guys are in terms of intangibles, but you hear good things about Tua, Burrow, Fromm and Hurts in that regard. I don't where Eason or Love fall in terms of leadership and other intangibles.

I agree with you that there will be a surprise. I think it could be Fromm because he likely goes a little later and maybe to a team where he doesn't have to start right away (NE, NO seem like absolute perfect spots). I'm sure if Love ends up in New Orleans, which I've seen in a lot of recent mocks, he could be fantastic in that system.

The window to win multiple super bowls is to get a guy on a rookie deal. Win in his 2nd or 3rd year and maybe squeeze one more out before you have to sign them to a huge cap busting deal. Because after they take 35+ million you will compete because they will hopefully be able to elevate guys and get a ton out of them but likely wont have many legit SB runs outside a year here and there.

Then traded up for Allen lol.

If Newton is healthy, I wonder what Carolina will want in a trade. It could be less than trading up for Tua. Something to at least think about.
Think about it why? Wanna guess why Carolina isn't thinking about it?

A risk.....lol.

gotta love everyone gearing up for a title run next year.

I’m not forcing any decisions because my owner is 80.

I’m trying to build a power house roster that will compete for a decade.

heck a part of me wouldn’t mind seeing a work stoppage in 2020 so that NO ONE wins the SB next year.

So many people ready to jump off a bridge if we don’t get a new “franchise” QB.

Lol.

I’m ready to trade down and take more picks while other people take the risks.

Doing what SF just did is going to be easier than trying to be the Chiefs.

considering the Chiefs actually won the game, i'd still prefer trying to be the Chiefs.

besides, San Francisco will have a hard time keeping all of their parts together, especially that DL.

Think about it why? Wanna guess why Carolina isn't thinking about it?
Wouldn't be my first choice, but he has been a proven producer and is just 30 I believe. Saying that, I don't think Miami will go the trade route and I don't think Newton would be someone Flores would want.

Back
Top Bottom