The Miami Dolphins Are A 10 Win Team And Here Is Why | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins Are A 10 Win Team And Here Is Why

I feel we have the following elites:

HC - Adam Gase
QB - Ryan Tannehill. His performance continues to improve, even though he had some coaches who intentionally obstructed his growth.
RB - Frank Gore and the entire running back group, even though this group isn't fully operational yet.
WR - Danny Amendola and the entire wide receiver group, even though this group isn't fully operational yet.
TE - It looks to me like Mike Gesicki will be and entire TE group, even though this group isn't fully operational yet.
OL - Josh Sitton
DE - Cameron Wake
S - Minkah Fitzpatrick
CB - Bobby McCain, Tony Lippett and the entire group of Safeties and Cornerbacks

Of course this is my opinion, but I know enough not to be misled about the meaning of words like elite by people who believe that only their opinion is right!
If all the players/units you listed were truly "elite", we would be talking dynasty.

My idea of elite is a bit higher than yours I guess.

Jones is the only player on the roster I would give that tag. There is every possibility that some of the younger players, like Howard, Harris, maybe the rookie TE, can become elite. They are not there yet.

Wake has been elite, and still can be with lower snap counts.

A pessimist would say our only proven RB is past his prime. Our mike has never played an NFL down. Our FS ant top TE threat hasn't either.

TBH I'm more concerned with the LB unit than with DL. I can see us playing 2 LB sets a high percentage of the time.

And here is the difference in people . . .
YOU say "Harris, Branch, Hayes...all mediocre talent." Rent says " I EXPECT Charles Harris will be improved and (HOPEFULLY) Andre Branch will be healthy. Notice the difference? You state yours as facts, Rent with qualifications.
Elsewhere you say "Kilgore WILL prove to be a downgrade at C." Dajesus says " I do think our interior will be better with sitton, Kilgore, and Davis stepping in for Larsen, Pouncey, and Bushrod. It is cautious optimism though, as our two signings are in thier 30s, . . ." Again, notice the difference. You post what you consider facts that are nothing more than opinions. Others post optimism with reasonable qualifications. That is, acknowledging opinions. And you think others are being unrealistic?
I can agree with some of your opinions. There is no certainty ANY of the new guys will surpass the previous guys. But, there's no certainty they won't. What makes you think Sitton will deteriorate and play worse than Bushrod, or what evidence do you have Phillips and Godchaux "would be above avg by now if he were ever going to be?"
Your points would be much more believable if you attached them to reality. Again, your points are valid as cautious reminders. You damage your points parading them around as facts.

Based on years and years of experience playing, watching and listening. Some people have good judgement and some don’t. Some have a better eye for things like this than others. It’s called foresight. Yes, I’m opinionated. But it’s rooted in all of the above. Either a player has the talent or they don’t. There are exceptions to every rule, and I’m not always right. I’m just mostly right, and much better than most. When I relied on someone I was always careful of what I said and how I said it; always being mindful of tact and how people respond. Now that people rely on me in my circle, I lead. You don’t have to follow, but I don’t need you on my side either. So I really don’t care how I come off. You don’t need to believe me, but I’ll be the guy in here saying I told you so.

That might be valid if the 10 win season was more than a 1 time fluke...
How do we know if it was a one time fluke or not? That was the only season we have seen Gase with Tannehill at QB. Gase was a rookie head coach and Tannehill was learning a new system. I guess we will have to let the 2018 season play out before making any judgement.

Pouncey's pass blocking statitsics were inflated by Miami's quick short passing game. Cutler was always looking for for the outlet receiver and rarely stood long in the pocket to find a receiver deep. Of course you are just going to ignore this. It is ok when he is struggling with the Chargers we will come back to these posts.

Sounds good, we’ll do that.

Also in 2016 Ajayi had the benefit to playing with a better QB where there was more of a threat to beat teams down the field. When this was taken away in 2017 Ajayi struggled. If you want to blame it on him not being happy that is fine. IMO there is more to it than that. He went to the Eagles who had a better QB and he split carries with two other RBs. So as a part time player on a more complete offense he did produce. Drake on the other had, like you said, better fits the Dolphins scheme. Also IMO Drake did a lot more with less help.

There is something here I feel you’re overlooking, and have during this entire debate: Jay Ajayi needs a firm hand from time to time. When did he break out in 2016? After he threw a tantrum and got left home for the Seattle game. He got his reality check, did his job, and performed admirably. In 2017, the argument could be (easily) made that he got a big head and started to throw his tantrums again. He got his reality check again. And he performed well for the Eagles.

As long as Ajayi listens to his coaches, does his job, and his knee holds together, he’ll be a very good back on this league for a few years.

I put the odds on all of those happening at about a coin flip.

Based on years and years of experience playing, watching and listening. Some people have good judgement and some don’t. Some have a better eye for things like this than others. It’s called foresight. Yes, I’m opinionated. But it’s rooted in all of the above. Either a player has the talent or they don’t. There are exceptions to every rule, and I’m not always right. I’m just mostly right, and much better than most. When I relied on someone I was always careful of what I said and how I said it; always being mindful of tact and how people respond. Now that people rely on me in my circle, I lead. You don’t have to follow, but I don’t need you on my side either. So I really don’t care how I come off. You don’t need to believe me, but I’ll be the guy in here saying I told you so.

You are often right except when you are wrong.
Years and years of experience should teach you not to come off as being over confident because you know it'll bite you in the azz. Those exceptions you know.

I feel we have the following elites:

HC - Adam Gase
QB - Ryan Tannehill. His performance continues to improve, even though he had some coaches who intentionally obstructed his growth.
RB - Frank Gore and the entire running back group, even though this group isn't fully operational yet.
WR - Danny Amendola and the entire wide receiver group, even though this group isn't fully operational yet.
TE - It looks to me like Mike Gesicki will be and entire TE group, even though this group isn't fully operational yet.
OL - Josh Sitton
DE - Cameron Wake
S - Minkah Fitzpatrick
CB - Bobby McCain, Tony Lippett and the entire group of Safeties and Cornerbacks

Of course this is my opinion, but I know enough not to be misled about the meaning of words like elite by people who believe that only their opinion is right!

C’mon man, It’s not a matter of opinion whether or not they’re elite. Top 12 at their position/unit is the minimum standard to be considered a number one at their position/unit. Elite is considered the best of the best.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...layers-actually-worthy-of-being-called-elite/

Compared to the best teams, here’s a good article on blue chip players or high end talent, of which Miami has few of in comparison.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nf...sm=true&p.tcm=%23666&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp

Yet Kenyan Drake was able to average 4.8 yards/carry behind basically the same line with the same QB behind center. Kenyan Drake is a better RB.
For a guy who's started 6 career games and never rushed for over 120 yards in a game, you're making pretty bold claims. Ajayi has broken NFL records with 3 200 yard games in a season, did it in back to back weeks, and is a Super Bowl champ. So it's really easy to disagree with you.

And again, more importantly, we could have had both.

You are often right except when you are wrong.
Years and years of experience should teach you not to come off as being over confident because you know it'll bite you in the azz. Those exceptions you know.

Over confident is you all thinking this is a 10 plus win team with age concerns (young and old) holes, avg talent, and little high end talent on this roster.

I’m just arrogant about being practical. Apply the above to any game when compared to better players and you’ll be average.

For a guy who's started 6 career games and never rushed for over 120 yards in a game, you're making pretty bold claims. Ajayi has broken NFL records with 3 200 yard games in a season, did it in back to back weeks, and is a Super Bowl champ. So it's really easy to disagree with you.

And again, more importantly, we could have had both.

Ok then other then having a big head and being unhappy. Why didn't Ajayi produce like he did in 2016 in 2017? Where were those 200 yard games? He had only two 100+ yard games in 2017. What happened? Why did Drake outproduce him on the same team in 2017? Danny Amendola is a 2 time Super Bowl champ who had over 150 yards in Super Bowl LII. Does that make him better than Landry? Not sure why we are bringing up team accomplishments when comparing RBs anyway. Lets stick to comparing players for the same season while they were on the same team. Ok I will take back my statement that Drake is a better RB than Ajayi. We will just wait until both their careers are over. However I will stick to my stance that Drake was a better RB for the Dolphins in 2017. He did prove that on the field.

If all the players/units you listed were truly "elite", we would be talking dynasty.

My idea of elite is a bit higher than yours I guess.

Jones is the only player on the roster I would give that tag. There is every possibility that some of the younger players, like Howard, Harris, maybe the rookie TE, can become elite. They are not there yet.

Wake has been elite, and still can be with lower snap counts.

A pessimist would say our only proven RB is past his prime. Our mike has never played an NFL down. Our FS ant top TE threat hasn't either.

TBH I'm more concerned with the LB unit than with DL. I can see us playing 2 LB sets a high percentage of the time.

I believe we've been watching a dynasty in the making. Hind sight will show if I was wrong or right.

When you have a limited group of players called the NFL that have been through the selection systems of hundreds of teams to get to the NFL, it is fair to say these players are the elite of football. In this group there are often some players whose performance is noticeably better than others NFL players at the same position. I guess you can call them the elite of the elite. There are some NFL players who don't measure up. Color them gone.

The basic skill level of the NFL is so high that trying to differentiate them is quite a chore. We certainly try, using all kinds of analysis, but in the end I think that making claims of tremendous differences between NFL players is illusionary due to the effect of a number of uncontrolled variables, such as how good the coaching is, or if a players skill set is fully utilized vs. just using a portion of their skillset that best serves the team. In the end we each make our own judgments, which suits me just fine.

Ok then other then having a big head and being unhappy. Why didn't Ajayi produce like he did in 2016 in 2017? Where were those 200 yard games? He had only two 100+ yard games in 2017. What happened? Why did Drake outproduce him on the same team in 2017? Danny Amendola is a 2 time Super Bowl champ who had over 150 yards in Super Bowl LII. Does that make him better than Landry? Not sure why we are bringing up team accomplishments when comparing RBs anyway. Lets stick to comparing players for the same season while they were on the same team. Ok I will take back my statement that Drake is a better RB than Ajayi. We will just wait until both their careers are over. However I will stick to my stance that Drake was a better RB for the Dolphins in 2017. He did prove that on the field.

One interesting thing to note is Ajayi's best game of 2017 came vs the Falcons. In that game Pouncey went out with a concussion in the 1st quarter. So Jake Brendel was playing most of that game at center.

Back
Top Bottom